Thread: Wrapping up the Season Soon!

Default Wrapping up the Season Soon!

Well, I took this week off and we sold the furs we caught this week today. Prices were softer than I expected and we had a different buyer than before (for the same Co though ) and perhaps that played a role? We saw a local trapper with 2 river otters, first I have seen in IL and this is the first year they have been allowed to trap them, cool critter. Trapper said he sold one 2 weeks ago for $85.00 that was smaller than the ones he had today...
    Ran part of our 15 sets before we sold today no hits, then on the last 5 this bad boy was awaiting us!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If you dont mind me asking Smokey what did you average on your Coyotes?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    If you dont mind me asking Smokey what did you average on your Coyotes?
    Don't mind at all sir, $20.00 for tops/most, a cpl went for 15 that were lighter furred.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Good job on them K9's Smoky! It's a shame they arn't worth more. Two more months from today for me. Doing well on cats and fox and a few otter..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Good job on them K9's Smoky! It's a shame they arn't worth more. Two more months from today for me. Doing well on cats and fox and a few otter..
    Having fun showing my new "partner"the ropes for sure. He is a little young to remember all the tricks that go into catching coyotes on a regular basis but he has gained a lot of knowledge so far! We just do not have squat for fox numbers, out of probably 20 some trappers selling fur today I saw only 1 red... Coyotes I guess have decimated them either by outright killing them or spreading mange to them that many times they can't survive... I really enjoy fox trapping better as they are soooo much easier to catch and skin, coyotes take an entirely different mindset to trap.
    We can go until Jan 25th here, but I don't have time to run any amount of steel and work also, so got in a week of coon trapping over Thannksgiving and a week of coyote here at Christmas - that will be enough considering I didn't even have any plans to trap until 2 weeks before the season started! Canine trapping takes a little more planning ahead than that for any real numbers! Furs paid for all the new steel though so can't really gripe about a hobby that makes some loot back and have fun also! Gotta wax some dirt for next year, frozen soils cost me quite a few catches this year due to no time to prepare....Got a couple dozen MB550's on order along with some more MB650's too

Good luck and post some pics!

This was when I was a bit younger and stackin em up, took 96 reds that year.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fox Pics.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	66788

Those are some really nice photos, especially with your young prodigee (sp). I have enjoyed your exploits this year and am happy you took the time to share with us. Keep us in the loop with future endeavors,
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Those are some really nice photos, especially with your young prodigee (sp). I have enjoyed your exploits this year and am happy you took the time to share with us. Keep us in the loop with future endeavors,
    ARR
    Glad you enjoyed it ARR, I know I sure enjoy what u chaps catch and show!
    Had a coyote do a tap dance on a set today and ground was too hard for trap to come through, so we came home and waxed about 3gal of dirt and tomorrow it will get a new bed! Got 2 sets that have had multiple coyotes on them and only took 1 so far due to barely missed paws, or hard ground, that I will keep working for a week or two for revenge!

Okay, missed a smart old beaver 3 times so far, pulling these sets today.Temps plunged to 15 last night and water freezing up, gotta go back to work tomorrow!

UH OH what have we here?

Bingo! A Dandy!

Hey, where's my helper?

Scaled this bad boy at a whopping 76lbs! No wonder my back hurts!

I'm getting too old for this, chuga chuga chug...

Well, temps dropped to a brisk 3 degree's yesterday and the snow got a little crusty! I get home about an hour after dark and its a bit of a challenge to remake and keep sets working in this cold and darkness. But, we have 5 hay sets going for just such weather! Had 3 coyotes all over one yesterday, they even laid on the snow leaving full body prints but the traps had some freezing rain and just didn't go off! Drats! Good news is nothing scared them so there should be a fur or two there in next cpl days when they make another round. However, had a repeat on our last set of the night and tagged another nice female yote!