Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killer camp shoes...

Default Killer camp shoes...

I've wanted some camp shoes for some time and haven't wanted the added bulk of crocs and the like. Some guys don't mind cramming those in the pack. Too much bulk for me.
    Plus I like to be barefoot after losing the the sweaty socks and crocs aren't comfortable on the bare feet.
    I found these:

Big Agnes mountain booties. They are warm, comfortable, super light and crazy compressible.
    They are water-resistant, not water proof, so really wet moose camp isn't the ticket, but for high country sheep/goat camp they are ideal. I've worn mine in the snow around here grabbing firewood from the crib and they always remain dry and snow free.

The problem is I think they may be discontinued, so once they are gone, they are gone.
    This place: http://www.mpgear.com/item/BAMB/Big-...paign=balanced still has them and for a great price. Shipping was free with two pair or more, and I got ours in 36 hours here with the free ground option. AK is a crap shoot with the ship gig.
    ...Bought four pairs, two for wife two for moi. My size 14's are 7.5 ounces.
    Fabulous product.
    Proud to be an American!

Frank,

I think you're right about the limited availability, tried to buy a pair through MP, my web purchase on a pair of large went through yesterday, but got a call from MP today that they're out of stock and aren't able to get any more. Did a quick web search and can't locate any in stock anywhere else. I wish I had read your post a few days earlier.

Hope you and the family had a nice Christmas and a great start to the New Year.

Michael

Hey Michael,
    Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Sorry to hear that they were out of stock. Keep your eyes open, they are worth the search.
    I kept one pair for the mountains and one pair for daily use.

It's nice to know that some read and appreciate these threads.

Best,
    Frank
    Proud to be an American!

Mt Hardwear makes a similar bootie if you guys can't find the Big Agnes ones. The Big Agnes ones pack up smaller though and are lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Mt Hardwear makes a similar bootie if you guys can't find the Big Agnes ones. The Big Agnes ones pack up smaller though and are lighter.
    As does Sierra Designs and even Wiggy's

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Very true, but some of them are down instead of synthetic.

Thought I saw some ID ones in Barneys a while back but can't seem to find anything on the net.

Last I saw Wiggy's were $42.00...like most things "Wiggy's" they were spendy.
    Part of the appeal of these BA's was the $25 price with free ship.
    Proud to be an American!

Rei has the mens and womens on sale. They are down however.
    Seems to me synthetic is likely the way to go with anything on the foot given frost, snow, dew, etc.

REI booties
    Proud to be an American!

I checked the rei pair out today they seemed pretty heavy for what they were.
    AMH had feathered friends and montbell? Iirc but they were spendy.@85
    Barney's had the ID hot socks for $45

crud...now i need a bigger pack...again. man they'll never stop coming out with creature comforts for backcountry hunting! i think sheep hunters are getting soft....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    crud...now i need a bigger pack...again. man they'll never stop coming out with creature comforts for backcountry hunting! i think sheep hunters are getting soft....
    HAHA...very true....I did the bootie thing for a couple years, but realized if carrying an extra set of footwear it'd rather it be for creek crossings and sitting around in camp...turns out it does both and an extra pair of warm dry socks with some ultralight shoes is a LOT more functional than booties. Not only that after hiking at the end of the day I want my feet to BREATH, something that booties do not promote.

HAHA...very true....I did the bootie thing for a couple years, but realized if carrying an extra set of footwear it'd rather it be for creek crossings and sitting around in camp...turns out it does both and an extra pair of warm dry socks with some ultralight shoes is a LOT more functional than booties. Not only that after hiking at the end of the day I want my feet to BREATH, something that booties do not promote.

Too much bulk...
    Proud to be an American!

Default Killer camp shoes...

North Face Nuptsies were the cats ass for camp. We experienced @ freezing temps for our float hunt so they were a nice treat whilst sitting on me arse.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Man I tell ya, if a guy like plastics, the liners in Civettas are a nice camp shoe/slipper. They're designed as such. Just pull off the shells at the end of the day and it's like wearin a pair of moccasins. They have a rubber sole that works great. Here's a couple pics I pulled off an ebay add. I don't have any close up pics of mine. Mine are showing a little more wear

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Another option is the Baffin cush booty, got these for my youngest daughter for Christmas and she loves them.

http://www.backcountry.com/baffin-cu...1-001b2166c2c0

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Another option is the Baffin cush booty, got these for my youngest daughter for Christmas and she loves them.

http://www.backcountry.com/baffin-cu...1-001b2166c2c0

Nice...look good.

Although....the comments showed that several users are wearing out the non-slip bottoms after very short wear time.
    Proud to be an American!

I'll add something from a different angle. Not only a camp shoe but something for creek crossings...
    New Balance MT110. Mine weigh 7 oz. size 8.5 EEE and have no insole. Better than barefoot or stuffing toes into those funny shoes.

I'm purchasing a pair of these Vivo barefoot Ultra Pure shoes for camp shoes. They are basically better-looking more lightweight crocs. They weigh in at 3.7 oz per pair, while my crocs are ~10.8 ounces (size 9). Probably not the best for really mushy moose country, but for mountain hunting they should be nice. An easy way to save 7 ounces, and some bulk.

I just got a set of nuptse traction mule from north face and they are great. Puff slippers with a thin rubber sole that can be worn out of the tent. It will be great this summer to get the wet kennetreks off and relax with something else on after a long day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359868240.230269.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359868260.621399.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mont View Post
    I'm purchasing a pair of these Vivo barefoot Ultra Pure shoes for camp shoes. They are basically better-looking more lightweight crocs. They weigh in at 3.7 oz per pair, while my crocs are ~10.8 ounces (size 9). Probably not the best for really mushy moose country, but for mountain hunting they should be nice. An easy way to save 7 ounces, and some bulk.

I use these much lighter than crocs and fit your feet better.Great for stream crossing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast