Thread: Retrieving Labradoodle available for a casual hunter.

Default Retrieving Labradoodle available for a casual hunter.

Family companion, part-time hunting Labradoodle. Jack is a rescued Labradoodle. He is about 2 1/2. Jack was rescued out of my frustration of his predicament. He was about 7-8 mos and bounced from home to home, chained out alone for extended periods of time and untrained. He was in the animal shelters twice in 2 months, then no doubt destined for euthanasia. Whatever you may think about Labradoodles , Jack breaks the mold. I’ve trained a lot of Labradors and other rescued dogs and he has a great attitude and is always is ready to learn. We had is DNA tested and it showed only Lab from one parent and Poodle from the other parent so he was probably a backyard bred F-1 Labradoodle. He does shed.

The good: He plays hard, runs hard yet cuddles very well. He loves to retrieve and will bull his way through any cover to get what he is after. I have had him doing doubles and triples with bumpers and dead birds and retrieving in the water to about 30-50 yards. He is steady for bumpers and shot birds though I still use a slip lead. His obedience is pretty solid in basics. His recall is excellent with and without the e-collar, and he is crate trained, leash trained and e-collar trained. We have started sight blind retrieves. He will hunt for scent such as berries, antler sheds and other articles for reward. He is very motivated by birds and will retrieve endlessly. He seems impervious to the cold and will play outside even at -20. He is a handsome, 60 lbs., chocolate and neutered since 9 mos of age. As another dog trainer said, “He has a huge personality” . He has been in a harness and pulls fairly well and we have gone up to 6 miles on a bike with breaks for both of us. I believe he would do the same skijorning or pulling a kick-sled. NOTE: I am not a musher so just winging that part.

His faults: He does not have the drive of a well-bred field dog meaning he will get lost about 60 yards out if he does not find it. That could just be lack of experience. He is a barker. He understands “quiet” and a bark collar and that helps. For the most part he is good in his kennel when I leave the house but can't be sure he will not have some separation anxiety when left alone for a long time. A family gone for long stretches of time during the day would not be an ideal situation for Jack. He does need periodic grooming with clippers because his coat grows and gets caught in underbrush. He has not been force fetched in the traditional method but has a consistent response to “fetch”. He can take some pressure but is a softer dog who could crumble under heavy pressure. He gets along with other dogs after an introductory period that a knowledgeable owner should be able to handle.

Jack was rescued with the idea of rehoming but we have never found the ideal home for him. He still needs someone who will work with him. We are happy to keep Jack for life but we are getting another purebred lab in the spring and would like to have a bit more time and room if another family or committed owner would want him in their life. We have 2 other rescued adult dogs. Jack would need to be a part of the family, a house dog, companion and never chained out. There would be a home check and a chance to reconsider if he did not fit his new home. His health is good and up to date on shots. lindahenning@mtaonline.net 907-841-2453 We are in Knik.
    I can't seem to add photos from Facebook but can provide an ALBUM of Jack photos on request.

Can you PM me a link of the pictures? I can not PM you as I believe you have to have more posts to receive PMs

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Can you PM me a link of the pictures? I can not PM you as I believe you have to have more posts to receive PMs
    PM won't work either direction until the OP has more posts...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I put some photos up on Flicker - hope this works
    I don't see the urls posting Photos but you can go here http://www.flickr.com/photos/9204054...in/photostream
    Copy and paste if this url does not work
    AND if you are interested PLEASE contact me at lindahenning@mtaonline.net
    NOT HERE because I rarely look at it.

I put some photos up on Flicker - hope this works