Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renaming a boat?

Default Renaming a boat?

I purchased a boat this spring, and never have been to fond of the name it was was given. From what I read its not kosher to just pull decals and rename a boat. I'm not superstitious, but really feel that if there is a proper renaming method I would like to go out renaming the boat proper like Has anyone done this or know of any folk lore behind renaming? Thanks!

Default Renaming a boat?

I renamed my boat, and she gave me fits from the launch to the harbor. Upon taking her out from there, I broke a bottle of champagne over the bow, and we were good from there.

I'm more concerned about bananas on board than renaming a vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    I purchased a boat this spring, and never have been to fond of the name it was was given. From what I read its not kosher to just pull decals and rename a boat. I'm not superstitious, but really feel that if there is a proper renaming method I would like to go out renaming the boat proper like Has anyone done this or know of any folk lore behind renaming? Thanks!
    it depends on whether you just register the boat with DMV or if it is a documented vessel. There is no required procedure if your boat is simply registered with DMV and has the AK numbers. If your vessel is a documented vessel the AK numbers are not required as the boat is identified by it's registered Name and Hailing port. you'd have to check with the USCG for the papers and procedure to change the name of a documented vessel. Personally, I've purchased and renamed several vessels. They are all still afloat and serviceable and I'm still waking up alive every morning.

I believe there is a ceremony at sea that involves a bottle of Capt. Morgan, a goat, and a can of sardines...............good luck!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    I believe there is a ceremony at sea that involves a bottle of Capt. Morgan, a goat, and a can of sardines...............good luck!

...and not necessarily in that order!

Yes, renaming a boat involves the consumption of alcohol. I rename my boat almost every weekend during the summer.

Oh no no no no. Bad bad juju if you do not follow this procedure:

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Yep....follow the link AKBassking gave, or there are several others online, including a great book on Amazon that not only guides you through the renaming procedure, but gives a lot of suggestions to help you think of your own unique and meaningful boat name...do it! Alcohol is involved, but so many other meaningful things too...you will sleep better knowing you have done all you can!

I'm not superstitious, EXCEPT when it comes to boats. A friend launched his new boat on Friday the 13th despite my warnings to wait a day and he was done with boating by the end of the season.You just don't want to offend Neptune so follow the procedure above and sleep well.

I renamed my boat and it started getting luckier when fishing, ran better, took waves better, and did things that I never thought it could do. I see mermaids now regularly and all I have is flat seas and endless sunshine. Heck, even the cooler fills up with beer all on its own sometimes. Needless to say, the best decision I ever made was changing the name of my boat.

So, it just depends I guess. I guess the boat really liked its new name Or really hated its old one........It was a lame name after all......

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I'm not superstitious, EXCEPT when it comes to boats. A friend launched his new boat on Friday the 13th despite my warnings to wait a day and he was done with boating by the end of the season.You just don't want to offend Neptune so follow the procedure above and sleep well.
    He probably took some bananas on board too.......!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    He probably took some bananas on board too.......!
    LOL Let's hope not!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

What if you rename your boat to something derogatory? Like, "Hulking Turd"? Can you paint that on the fly bridge, or do you need to abbreviate it or something?

Wonder what these letters meant, F.P.O.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    What if you rename your boat to something derogatory? Like, "Hulking Turd"? Can you paint that on the fly bridge, or do you need to abbreviate it or something?

Wonder what these letters meant, F.P.O.S.?
    You can paint what ever you want on the bridge,
    It will be great fun hailing the harbormaster with "this is the Hulking Turd" and I need to tie up to your dock for a hour........
    TR

I was thinking of the Homer Winter King Derby when the names are broadcast out, repeatedly.

Sometimes your boat gets renamed for you. There was a sailboat out of Whittier years ago that was called the Private World. They got their mic stuck for an entire weekend and after that they were known as the Public World!

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I was thinking of the Homer Winter King Derby when the names are broadcast out, repeatedly.
    Not that would be quite funny........!
    TR

What about naming a new boat?

Default Boating Accident...

Just don't name it after your wife, like this guy did, or you might be involved in an accident!

This cartoon was floating around here earlier.

Attachment 67217
    "Grin and Bear It"

Definitely do your research and perform the "denaming" and "renaming" ceremony with all the proper decorum and dignity you can muster. AKBassKing's link is a great start. DO NOT take this important task lightly...you need all the help you can get when afloat. Plus, it's a lot of fun and your vessel will appreciate it.

A friend scoffed at my encouragement to rename his 30-foot boat properly, and he just changed the letters without a proper ceremony. His first trip in PWS resulted in disaster, and the boat sank. Coincidence? Maybe -- but why chance it.

Do it right...just sayin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast