Thread: High shooting Marl. 450

Default High shooting Marl. 450

Just got my marlin .450 which I couldn't get to shoot below 6" high at 50 yards. Got to find a higher front blade - preferrable before I come to Alaska in June. If not any recommendation for a smith in Fairbanks.

PS I'll have a couple three boxes of brass if any one wants them give a phone number & I'll call when in towen and you can have them.

MIke Dotson

Being in Dallas, check with XS for some sights for the guide gun. Theres have been spot on with the Hornady load.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dotson View Post

If not any recommendation for a smith in Fairbanks.

MIke Dotson

I've always had good luck with Gary Junk at Arctic Gunworks. Some people find his personality a little abrasive, but I've never had any problem with him and he's a great 'smith.

Leave it! You'll be dead on at 400 yards

My 1895MXLR 450 marlin.... hasn't been shot yet, it's sitting in my closet

Default Shooting High

I'd make Marlin fix it. You paid good money for that beast. You deserve better accuracy than what you got.

Are you going to scope the gun? If so, it doesn't matter. Those guns look cool with the scout mounted scope.

I once had a 30-30 Winchester lever gun, I sware was off 3 feet left at 50 yards with open sights. Never could get that gun to shoot straight until I put a scope on it.

Good Hunting,

KatzMO

Default Had the same problem

Mike-

Had the same problem with my model 94 Timber in .450 Marlin. It shoots 4" high at 25 yards with anything you feed through it. Which means it's currently sighted in for 283 yards, according to my ballistic program.

The sight is an XS Ghost Ring and when I called Winchester they said I would have to go to Xtreme Sights. When I called Xtreme, they told me that I'd have to go through Winchester. I bet nobody saw that one coming, did they?

Now, the funny thing is, that when you order an XS Ghost Ring straight from Xtreme. They send you these plastic insert pieces to try out different height front posts, and after you figure out which one is the correct height, then they send out the real one. My guess is that when Marlin or Winchester orders 10,000 of them for production, they buy the shortest one. After all, the less material there is, the cheaper the part. And the problem is exaggerated because our barrels are so short. A longer barrel would have less difference between point of aim and point of impact.

So it looks like I'll just order the tallest blade that Xtreme has and just have to pay for it. The only other option is to have a gunsmith shim up the front sight.

Default 450

No I'm not going to scope it. Marlin sent me another rear sight that should fix the problem after I drive 50 miles to see my gunsmith and pay him rather than screw up the job!

Why they equip the gun with the wrong sight is beyond me!

Default shootin high

Don't feel like the lone stranger. Various companies have been doing it for over 100 years. I think either by design or wishful thinking or just using stock parts on hand when putting carbines together. Even long rifles like the trapdoor Springfields with original sights and set to the lowest rear sight setting... the minimum POI at POA will be about 200-250 yds. That was by design for military use I guess. If I want to shoot at 50 or 100 yds... have to pull the front blade out and replace with a much taller one. I have both model 94 and 92 original Winchester carbines 100 years old or older. Most have original sights, unless I've added a period tang. Two or three of them shoot at least 5 inches high at 50 yards at lowest rear sight setting with the factory rear and front sights. Go figure... I guess Winchester thought the carbine was meant to be used for at least 200 yard shots... that's wishful thinking! Anyhow glad you got a handle on getting the Marlin squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dotson View Post
    Why they equip the gun with the wrong sight is beyond me!

My 1100 came with the wrong sight... at 10 yards with the rear sight all the way down it was putting the slugs into the dirt. Got a new one and it works fine.

*hit happens, not much can be done about it.