Thread: Back Online With My Big 8

Default Back Online With My Big 8

I just could not take it anymore not having my 8mm Rem Mag up and running so I decided to do some work and if I messed it up my gunsmith was going to get the chance to straighten it out.

First: I did a little more sanding work on my full stock bedding I attempted with my wood stock. I was able to get everything really snug.

Second: I did a little more lapping of the muzzle bore area trying not to destroy the crown and final muzzle area as I remove a good deal of the rust pits.

Third: I decided to change scopes using a Redfield with Accu-Trac and also used Talley one piece rings.

Fourth: Since I am only hunting hogs and deer right now I decided to use IMR4350 instead of IMR7828 and Rem 9 1/2M primers, behind a 220gr SBT so I could lower my velocities to 2800fps or a little above matching to a "T" the Accu-Trac on a 4-12x40mm Redfield still giving me 3945ft pounds of energy at muzzle and 2033ft pounds at 500yds, with a 2.1 inch high sight-in at 100yds and as I said matching the Accu-Trac marks on my scope.

Average velocity

First group 1.073"

Second group 0.973"

Up And Running (not a target rifle but good enough for hunting)

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good looking popgun there!

Thank you, will be taking it out to hunt for the first time this Monday and the following week.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have decided to back off my max load of IMR7828 and drop one grain which will give me around 2950-2970fps and this I all ready know is a very accurate load and this means that I only sight in at 2.0" at 100 and that put me exactly on the Acuu-Trac settings and give me a good balance between the 2842fps (IMR4350 load) and the 3009fps (IMR7828 max Load) and is actually more accurate than the 3009fps load. This will give me 4252ft pounds of energy at muzzle and still 2121ft pounds at 500yds. Lots of power and lots of reach especially with the Accu-Trac. I will fire sight in rounds tomorrow morning early before the wind gets above 12 mph.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Reduced Max load by one grain, 13ft extreme spread, 5 Deviation, group size 1.197" average velocity 3002fps

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well instead of backing off one grain and using Rem 9 1/2M primers instead of CCI250 like I was using, I am going back to the CCI250 primer and will backed off two grains from my Max load of IMR7828. This should put me between 2950 - 2980fps and should actually improve accuracy and also the 220gr SBT will function better in the 2900fps than at 3000fps. After hunting season ends for me I am going to try the 200gr bullets again.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I guess I'm confused........I thought you went with a synthetic stock on the old girl....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There you go again, adding to my 8 mag itch!

Great results well reported. And a lotta good reasons to think 8.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I guess I'm confused........I thought you went with a synthetic stock on the old girl....???
    I did but did not like the Hogue Overmold, needed a longer recoil lug screw for it to work well. So I got to working on the bedding job I did with the wood stock.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There you go again, adding to my 8 mag itch!

Great results well reported. And a lotta good reasons to think 8.
    Yeah, I can't get rid of the itch, I really like the 8mm Rem Mag. A little load adjustment and it will be humming. I will work on the 220gr A-Frame this spring and also work again with the 200gr bullets like the Accubond, Partition and TSX
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I did but did not like the Hogue Overmold, needed a longer recoil lug screw for it to work well. So I got to working on the bedding job I did with the wood stock.
    Still confused....lol. Didn't you say you gave the stock to a friend? Guess he gave it back...???

He did not want to use it, the bedding I did with it kept it from being the fit he wanted since it was a full stock bedding job. So, I took it back and decided to work with it sanding and improving the bedding and then after hand lapping the rust pits in the end of the muzzle decided to use it again. The Hogue Overmold stock was not a real good fit and I needed a longer recoil lug screw to make the Hogue work better. So, I am back to where I started but with a better fit on the bedding and the rust in the end of the muzzle taken care of.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well finally got to where I need to be. Reduced my load to get around 2920fps so the Sierra SBT would function better terminally. Average velocity was 2917fps, 12 extreme spread and 5 deviation.

Fired three fouling rounds that were the rounds I fired yesterday that were 3002fps then fired three of my reduced charges and I can settle for this for hunting the rest of my season. Been a long haul with this rifle but finally here.

Fouling rounds

Reduced rounds averaging 2917fps

Will let everyone know if I get something with the 8mm Rem Mag.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You gonna do anything else with the 250s...???

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You gonna do anything else with the 250s...???
    I am going to horde my stock of 250gr Barnes Original bullets and use them for specific big game. I do want to try the 200gr Partition and Accubond again along with the 200gr TSX out of curiosity, but what I am really waiting for is the North Fork SS in .323 that should be out late spring or early summer since they are getting their dies for the .323 this month. If for some reason North Fork does not get production of their SS going before Summer gets here I will opt for Woodliegh 250gr for my dangerous game load.

For all long range use on gas lines, power lines, large open fields and out west on deer and also black bear I will use the 220gr Sierra Game King SBT. With my rifle shooting good again, I actually have a lot of options and can be game specific, but also I could sit right here where I am and use the 220gr SBT for everything except Brown bear and Bison in North America and use the 250gr for anything else. Give me your take on bullet choices if you were using this rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS