Thread: Combo hunts?

Default Combo hunts?

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have done a combo hunt for sheep and caribou and were is a good place to do this? Did u backpack or float or both? info would be much appreciated

Probably the Brooks would be a good place to start looking
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I would look at unit 13 and use my ATV.

I would look at the Sheenjek River, float trip, start above Double Mtn for sheep and bou any where on the river, but down by last lake air strip has lots of bou around in mid Aug-1st sept.
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I would look at unit 13 and use my ATV.
    That would work too!....grin

I have done a combo hunt like you ask about,, Brooks Range.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...bou?highlight=
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    That would work too!....grin

I was not being funny.

I have a picture of when I was sitting on a ATV looking down on several sheep.

I also know of another location where you can get a sheep using a bow and ATV. I would have mention it but no caribou.

One concern that has to be considered during an early season sheep/caribou combo hunt is meat and trophy care. When animals are killed in mid August just the time and effort invested in care of the meat can become substantial. It is very often really warm, some might even say hot, in many of our sheep mountains during August. I know I have got my ears blistered a few times by the August sunshine. And along with those warm or hot temperatures comes those big black flies. Sometimes it becomes a full time job just keeping the meat clean and free of flies and their eggs/larva. Personally, on a typical labor intensive ram hunt, that often involves a long hiking and climbing approach, I'm not shooting nuttin but a ram. Caribou are very optional and will probably get a pass until I've already whacked a ram and I'm reasonably close to my point of departure.
    Just another of those little things to plan for on any hunt, but especially a multi species combo hunt.
    But a combo hunt can still be done way north with over-the-counter harvest tickets/tags, exactly as stid2677 mentioned above (post #6).
    Also the cost/expense of another Super Cub flight required to extract caribou meat and rack out-of-country needs to be considered.

AlaskaTrue/Dennis
    Imagine (It's easy if you try)
    …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
    (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

I was not being funny.

I have a picture of when I was sitting on a ATV looking down on several sheep.

I also know of another location where you can get a sheep using a bow and ATV. I would have mention it but no caribou.
    I didn't mean it as I was joking, I know what you're taking about, I saw some fullcurl rams last year with in 1/2 mile of ATV trails and bou in unit 13!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    I didn't mean it as I was joking, I know what you're taking about, I saw some fullcurl rams last year with in 1/2 mile of ATV trails and bou in unit 13!
    I wonder if we saw the same ones... I didn't see em on the quick run I made up there in Aug though... I have seen a picture of a Polaris RZR parked next to dead ram but the hunter was pretty tight lipped on the location. He gutted it, heaved it up into the bed, tarped it and headed home...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I wonder if we saw the same ones... I didn't see em on the quick run I made up there in Aug though... I have seen a picture of a Polaris RZR parked next to dead ram but the hunter was pretty tight lipped on the location. He gutted it, heaved it up into the bed, tarped it and headed home...
    We saw these rams around Aug 20th, they were way down low off the steep stuff, so figuring they hadn't being hunted during the 10 days that season was opened!

Personally I dislike combo hunts for reasons Alaska true pointed out but also unless you have a lot of time you may risk cutting yourself short on one or both of you hunts by trying to squeeze them in... I think going into it as a sheep hunt and having a couple of extra tags is better then planning to do both...

My take on combo hunts is it is too easy to get distracted or give yourself a reason to quit hunting the main target species. During the hunt I linked to, my partner and I hiked past several awesome Caribou to get back to a sheep spot. Once there we glassed and only saw ewes and sub legals, instead of sticking there and seeing what we could find, he decided he wanted to hike back and try for one of the Caribou. Who knows what may have happened if we had stick and stayed. My last sheep hunt I didn't even take a caribou tag with me, to prevent the temptation. Still shot a Grizzly, but did so at the strip after I had my sheep down.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

what are the details on the sheenjek float hunt and where in unit 13 are you guys talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by dakata View Post
    what are the details on the sheenjek float hunt and where in unit 13 are you guys talking about?
    You will have to do your own research there, that first post was more than I would have given out. Very good chance at a bou on the Sheenjek, sheep will require you to really work at it. It would be possible but I would bet that it will end up being an expensive caribou hunt going that way. It would be cheaper to catch some caribou by flying out of deadhorse with 70north or maybe flying commercial to Kotz and then getting dropped out of there. AK Air card will get you rt to Kotz for 15K air miles.

Unit 13 has both sheep and caribou in the mountains scattered across the unit. Bou are drawing or tier 1 both of which have passed for 2013. Sheep are where you find them... Other folks that have found em aren't likely to tell you where to look.

What a person should be asking is not where the Sheep are but how I was able to find them in the first place. If you knew that information you would be able to figure out how to find sheep, 60 inch bull moose, and Grizzly bears a long the road system.

It would be interesting to find out if Ramhunter, Lujon and myself are talking about the same location or three difference area. That is not going to happen unless Ramhunter or LuJon tells me first. So guys I will be waiting for your email. If there was a forth person that we all knew and trusted to get the information and give it to the other two that might also work. LOL

I might tell my hunting partner or if I was at a Piazza party and had two many beers. When the Piazza party in E.R.? LOL

I might tell my hunting partner or if I was at a Piazza party and had two many beers. When the Piazza party in E.R.? LOL
    I'm down for a Piazza Party. Mustache rides for everyone!!

mike-piazza-9.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

It would be interesting to find out if Ramhunter, Lujon and myself are talking about the same location or three difference area. That is not going to happen unless Ramhunter or LuJon tells me first. So guys I will be waiting for your email. If there was a forth person that we all knew and trusted to get the information and give it to the other two that might also work. LOL
    I'll volunteer to take on that responsibility. Come on guys, you know you can trust me

Hope to see a few of you at the Piazza Party.

Default Combo hunts?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You will have to do your own research there, that first post was more than I would have given out. Very good chance at a bou on the Sheenjek, sheep will require you to really work at it. It would be possible but I would bet that it will end up being an expensive caribou hunt going that way. It would be cheaper to catch some caribou by flying out of deadhorse with 70north or maybe flying commercial to Kotz and then getting dropped out of there. AK Air card will get you rt to Kotz for 15K air miles.

Unit 13 has both sheep and caribou in the mountains scattered across the unit. Bou are drawing or tier 1 both of which have passed for 2013. Sheep are where you find them... Other folks that have found em aren't likely to tell you where to look.
    Does this mean there will be no general season bou hunts for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Does this mean there will be no general season bou hunts for 2013
    Not in Unit 13, then again Unit 13 has not had a general season caribou hunt in YEARS.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.