Thread: Wanted Info on Quality "LIGHT" for firearm mounting

Default Wanted Info on Quality "LIGHT" for firearm mounting

Looking for information on quality Light to mount on AR-15 (Would like to stay under $200.00).

Or any Reviews that are available.

I'm a fan on the SureFire X300, since then kicking my own arse as the X300 Ultra is out.

Just be sure to rub a little Chapstick on the lens, helps remove the carbon after range-time.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I picked up a Streamlight TLR-1 for my Glock 20 last year. For $95 on Amazon, I figured I would give it a try. Wanted the Surefire, but it was 2-3x the cost as I recall. The Streamlight is very impressive. Will be putting it on an AR in the coming days. Figure I can put it on the left forward arm and let my thumb activate the switch, will see how it works out. They make a remote accessory for the TLR-1 as well, $40 on Amazon. There are some nicer (I assume) Surefire offerings, one hits 500 leumen, but at a price. I may spring for one depending on what I see with the TLR-1 on my AR. Time will tell. But those are the two lights I am looking at using on my AR. The TLR-1 for Glocks also fits picatinny rails (AR's), but other model specific versions likely would not, at least not without some adapter/optional part/etc...

Google this...

streamlight tlr-1 on ar-15

My Streamlight TLR-1 has sustained over 3000 rounds while mounted on my AR. It has been a great light, particularly for the price. I have made 75 yard hits with my AR using the light and a 4X scope. More than enough light for indoor and front yard use in a self defense situation.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Ill also vote for the TLR1.

From a recoil perspective I have a TLR-1 on my 45-70 that has sustained some heavy hitting rounds and still works like a charm.

Been a great light for sure.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have an X300 I have been very happy with, but it is a bit above the $200 mark.

THe Streamlight is probably the way to go.

Shop around on the x300. Amazon, $198.

Picked up my Barnes Precision AR-15 today. Mounted the TLR-1 and angled fore grip to it and it worked like a charm. With the orientation of my front hand, I can easily flip the TLR-1 on (continuous or momentary) with my thumb. Exactly what I was hoping for. Took a few pics to share with you here.

-Dan

OK, I'll bite. Looks nice. What rail is that? How much does the whole thing weigh?

Most importantly, how does it shoot?

Contact Andrew Barnes of Barnes Precision in Apex,NC (Raleigh). He designs the guns and owns the company. Great guy to talk with. It is the new lightweight forearm, that is all I know. Well, other than it is slick as a hand rail in a whore house. He designed and machines his own parts in house. Barrels are stainless Montana Barrels. High end stuff, but mid range prices. 100% American made parts, 100% assembled in the US. Aside from making his own line of AR rifles, he machines parts for 6 other AR manufacturers as well.

Just bought my first today. Picking up another that is on order next week. Ordering a third at that time, a target type AR-15. Shooting tomorrow (well, later today) in an 8 hour AR15 range class 4 of my buddies and I got set up with a Ft Bragg area special forces instructor. Will be shooting 250+ rounds today, can't wait.

Barnes AR-15's are insanely popular around here. They are known to be the quality of $2000+ AR-15's, but at 2/3 the cost. VERY accurate. Think 0.5-0.75" accurate out the box. That is what they are known for and I have never heard a bad word about him or his guns. Also, if you buy a gun from him, he will sell you Leupold glass or an Eotech sight at dealer cost! One per gun sale I am told, inquired about this earlier tonight as I am in the market for an Eotech.

Great article with tons of pictures below. Tells you more about the Barnes AR-15's, and the new forearm, than I could...

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2012/09...bpm-15-ar.html

His contact info...

Andrew Barnes
    cadcam@barnesprecision.com
    (919) 362-6805

Found at least one dealer in Alaska. Could be more, like 100 on his website...

ALASKA ILLUSIVE ARMS
    North Pole, AK
    907-490-4867

Tell him I sent you, emailed him earlier tonight myself about a custom target/sniper rifle.

Dan
    Rockingham,NC

http://www.barnesprecision.com/