Thread: Looking for new shotgun advice

Default Looking for new shotgun advice

I am looking to pick up a new shotgun for next season. I may pick it up before I go on my spring snow goose hunt in Missouri. But I am hoping that some here have some good or bad experiences with my top choices. I would like honest feedback and why you pick what you did.
    I have handled each of these guns but have shot none of them. Each felt good in its own way so I am looking for more input. I want it to be able to shoot 3 1/2 in shells. Or I would have without a doubt picked up the A5, that gun just felt good (hate the looks of it though) but it wouldn't shoot the 3 1/2".
    So here is the few I narrowed it down to. First is the versa max, Second is the benelli super black eagle II, third is the super vinci, and fourth is the beretta a400.

So what's your opinions good or bad?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Here's my 2 cents. Go S. Vinci or a400.

I shoot an a400 Xplor Unico, 30in barrel, with Patternmaster Code Black Goose for choke. Dirty combo for goose. The a400 series is light and is equipped with a recoil dampening system. The Patternmaster is a wad stripping choke and is freaking amazing. Gives you a shot cloud 3-6ft long instead of a shot string 16-22ft long with a constriction tube. Once you use one, it's all you'll ever shoot. With a 3 1/2 hevi-metal, I'm out around 70 yards for geese. I wouldn't mind letting you shoot my a400 sometime if you would like. Just send me an email, brooks.curtis@gmail.com.
    -Brooks

I bet if you do a search on this forum you will find more info on these guns than you can possibly read. This thread gets brought up every year. That said, I would go with the SBEII, simply because it's what I shoot.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Re: Looking for new shotgun advice

Quote Originally Posted by USAFBROOKS33 View Post
    Here's my 2 cents. Go S. Vinci or a400.

I shoot an a400 Xplor Unico, 30in barrel, with Patternmaster Code Black Goose for choke. Dirty combo for goose. The a400 series is light and is equipped with a recoil dampening system. The Patternmaster is a wad stripping choke and is freaking amazing. Gives you a shot cloud 3-6ft long instead of a shot string 16-22ft long with a constriction tube. Once you use one, it's all you'll ever shoot. With a 3 1/2 hevi-metal, I'm out around 70 yards for geese. I wouldn't mind letting you shoot my a400 sometime if you would like. Just send me an email, brooks.curtis@gmail.com.
    -Brooks
    Where are you located at?

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Where are you located at?

I live on JBER.

I'm with DS56.... The Benelli SBE2 it top notch. Takes all different types of shells, extremely easy to disassemble to clean , very durable and resistant to the weather and wear and tear.

I'll be getting another when its time for a new shottie... i.e. when my nine year old is old enough to handle a .12ga.

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Beretta for me... thousands of rounds.. perfect... feels like a dream...

ok, now you have to tell me where you killed that moose..

Man, I can't wait to share a blind with one of these fancy guns, so I can shoot em. And I thought my 10lb Browning sbe was nice..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Browning SBE? Hugh, have you been staying up too late again?

I ordered a Browning Gold 10 for hunting next year....although it's going to be used on the salt, I probably won't be able to resist taking it out for a puddle duck hunt or two.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

LOL...yeah must of been the BPS and I was dreaming of owning an sbe..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Default Re: Looking for new shotgun advice

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Beretta for me... thousands of rounds.. perfect... feels like a dream...

ok, now you have to tell me where you killed that moose..
    Out of Kotzebue... 61"

Benelli SBE II with 28" barrel. I have two of them with over 5000 rounds through each, and they are by far the best waterfowl guns. I've never had any problems whatsoever. I've used Beretta and Mossberg too but they just couldn't handle it (Beretta wouldn't cycle when salted up and the Mossberg rusted badly). I've shot my Benelli's when they're covered in mud, caked with salt and completely frozen. Fowling is always the best in horrible weather conditions, so make sure you're using a gun thats gonna shoot no matter what.

I will say though since I moved to Alaska, my SBEII is really getting put to the test. Hunted a couple weeks ago in below-0 conditions and the entire gun was iced up the entire time. Still managed to get my limit.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I've only hunted with 3 autos, Auto5 light, Beretta A390 and the Benelli SBE, the first shotgun I fell in love with was one I purchased, a Rem 870 special purpose magnum this thing took a beating and kept on killin. The autos were great until cleaning time although the beretta and benelli are easy and quick to clean, and they have to be cleaned, not left in the boat all year like my 870 was. With that said, I figured out why I liked the 870, one it really didnt need to be cleaned to funtion, second the LOP was 14 inches. The next best thing in auto was a benelli SBE2, if not cleaned after a couple of days on the salt it will "clunk" as you sneak up to some ducks and pull the trigger, thats right when you pull the trigger on those ducks that watched you sneak in range to all the gun does is clunk! and there you are pulling that round out and racking another in hoping for a hail marry on one when you should have had a triple!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

You won't go wrong with the super black eagle. The benellis tear down for cleaning very easily which is a great feature I think. When I take my annual 12 day waterfowl hunt down to the Dakotas, I generally never clean the gun during the entire trip and it performs flawlessly. I recommend not oiling the action at all and just shoot it dry if you are in areas where dust is a problem or in extreme cold. In salt or other really wet environment then I do oil mine up. I second the recommendation that you outfit the gun with a patternmaster choke. I use the extended range version. My last recommendation would be to not get all hung up on shooting 3.5 inch shells. They are expensive and in my opinion don't really offer much advantage except for an additional 1/4 ounce of shot. They certainly do not give you a longer effective range than 3 inch or even 2.75 inch shells. In the interest of full disclosure, I sold my super black eagle 5 years ago and reoutfitted with a benelli m2. I love it and I don't feel handicapped at all by not being able to shoot 3.5 inch shells.

Good luck with your purchase. It is always a fun prospect to buy a new gun.

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up going with the beretta because of all the recoil reduction . This will be my main gun but when the wife goes with it will be one that she will be able to shoot comfortably and I can switch back to my pump. Have not shot it yet but I do like the feel of it. I liked the feel of the A5 better but couldn't get past how ugly it was.

Thats a nice looking shotgun, i'm sure you will love it. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    I hunted a place like that in Washington State a few times, people in the houses that got a few pellets rained down on them had no sense of adventure at all, I quickly found another spot to hunt. Bud
    Wasilla

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360334890.021397.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360334928.610044.jpg
    We were behind a diary barn on a farm pond in Missouri. That day most of the ducks landed on the lagoon next to the barn. We thought about jump shooting the ducks but to close to the milking barn.