Thread: PPU - Prvi Partizan Ammo - Any experiences?

Default PPU - Prvi Partizan Ammo - Any experiences?

I picked up a box of PPU 7mmRemMag ammo to try out, loaded with their "Grom" (or "Thunder" in Serbian) bullet that looks interesting. It is item A-378 and uses a 158 gr Grom bullet. I have not been able to get to the range because the rifle has a new scope as of yet unmounted. Anyone have any experience with PPU sporting ammo and this load in particular?

http://www.prvipartizan.com/search_a.php

I shot a couple of boxes of their 30-30 ammo I picked up somewhere. Seemed to be loaded heavier than normal American stuff. Had a louder report, way more recoil, and hit about 3" higher at 50 yds. When I went to reload the brass most of the primer pockets were a bit looser than I'm used to seeing after one firing. It did shoot well though.

Privi has been around for years as HANSEN, CENTURY,PRIVI-PARTISAN and currently as WOLF GOLD and is loaded to european specs. I've shot it in several of my european calibers and it works as required and produces Minute of Deer groups. It does however produce a little dirtier burn and more barrel residue than US ammos do. Shoot it your rifle may like it !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    ... is loaded to european specs.
    What does that mean in realistic terms?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    What does that mean in realistic terms?
    Lots of American ammo for european designated calibers is loaded down in both velocity and pressure, whereas europeans load ammo that is correct in both velocity and pressure. A good example is ammo loaded by Remington for the 8mm Mauser versus ammo loaded by Norma for the same round. The difference is that the Norma ammo will be more on par with the factory sights and strike POA, it will also deliver more energy on target. You can see these differences by just checking the ammo specs out on Midway USAs webpage. Make Sense ??
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I shot some .308 175gr PPU Match in my SX AR. It shot not so well at 100y even compared to various hunting brands. The brass and especially the tips looked great. I'd try other loads from them again

I have used there ammo in a 7x57 w/175 gr bullets. I have found it to be very accurate and a bit underloaded. It was about 2250-2300 fps if I remember correctly. It was worth the price. Brass is 100% reloadable. J.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    I have used there ammo in a 7x57 w/175 gr bullets. I have found it to be very accurate and a bit underloaded. It was about 2250-2300 fps if I remember correctly. It was worth the price. Brass is 100% reloadable. J.
    That would be the correct velocity range for the 7x57mm Mauser with that heavy bullet.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    I picked up a box of PPU 7mmRemMag ammo to try out, loaded with their "Grom" (or "Thunder" in Serbian) bullet that looks interesting. It is item A-378 and uses a 158 gr Grom bullet. I have not been able to get to the range because the rifle has a new scope as of yet unmounted. Anyone have any experience with PPU sporting ammo and this load in particular?

http://www.prvipartizan.com/search_a.php
    Overall... I'd say in its various versions (different sales labels printed on the boxs and case-lot qualities) are OK. By relating an OK review, this should be read as not too bad but not all that great. Used for general plinking, informal target shooting, training, etc. while being adequate enough for most hunting conditions this relatively inexpensive ammunition works well enough.

The high-cards are:
    Relatively Inexpensive
    Good Selection
    Reasonably Reliable
    Practical/Useful Loads
    Excellent Mil-Surplus Selection
    Re-loadable

Low-Cards are:
    Not all that accurate/precision
    Often a dirty burner
    Brass dimensions inconsistencies

I have used this ammunition for all purposes mentioned above and continue to purchase it on occasion. My best recommendation is to keep in mind or consider the high and low cards. See for yourself and familiarize by shooting it. I'm confident you will discover (come to conclusion ) similar pros and cons.

Anybody have experience with their "Thunder" (or Grom) bullet?