Thread: DVD Ideas/Thoughts

Default DVD Ideas/Thoughts

Hey Ya'll,

It's been a while since I've posted but it's good to see some familiar faces...er..avitars on the ODD these days!

If you have followed my posts over the years you may know that my hunting partner and I go bear crazy every spring and basically take bear baiting to the extreme. We've been fortunate enough to host some great folks/t.v. shows from the ODC over the years and we've had friends and family shoot some monster bears off our baits every year. Yes...we even sing and dance as you've seen on t.v. (still catch crap over that )...

This year Bob and I are shooting a bear baiting DVD, based on years worth of great footage and whatever we can film this year. The overall theme of the movie is taking the viewer through the process of setting up a brand NEW bait with the goal of killing at least one 6'+ bear off the bait the first year. NO!...we aren't going to cheat and use an existing bait. We will also be filming off our normal baits we hunt every year. Tons of great kills shots over the years and a lot of funny moments we've caught on film.

Ok...so my purpose in posting...

I've seen enough hunting movies over the years to know what I like to see in hunting show/movie....I'm looking for thoughts/ideas from our target audience on what THEY would like to see or NOT to see in a bear hunting DVD. This DVD will be shot ENTIRELY in unit 20 here in interior Alaska...all local footage! I think that fact will apeal to a lot of local hunters. This movie will be professionally produced and should be awesome.

I appreciate any input anyone is willing to provide!

Peyton
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a few more pics for the fun of it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy shoot those are some bruiser bears!
    Some of the best videos I have seen use the KISS method. I get tired of the conversations that follow and replay the entire scenario AGAIN after we just watched it. Ie.....you see "Bob" sneak up and shoot the bear, then for the next 5 mins we get to relive the stalk and "Bob" walks through the entire scenario again repeating what we just saw.
    Another would be to leave out all the preliminary stuff like packing at your house, catching the flight from "X town", and showing your hotel room in "X Town" for the first 10 mins of a 30 min video. I bought/watched the video to see a hunt, not a tour of how you got there.
    Lots of action, good kill shots that are not edited out for the squeamish, and some rough idea of how big they are.
    Anyhow, those are my thoughts.
    Good luck, looks like you have some nice footage already from the above pics.
    BK

Really awesome bears there in the photos!

For me, I like to watch the enjoyment people have while hunting. Sure, I like to watch a good kill shot as well, but when I watch people having fun, then that makes me interested in getting involved in it. Also, I like some educational aspects to be associated into the video. It is hard to appeal to all the different viewers likes/dislikes; however, I would say more than half the people would enjoy an educational video of people having a lot of fun and taking some bears.

Oh, and if you need an extra shooter...let me know!

Kids hunting is always a + in my book. Showing their reactions to bears coming in or after the shot. Maybe a clip of showing the kids how to properly clean and cook bear meat and a recipe or two.

Following the blood trail is an exciting part also. Irritates me when the harvested animal is found first, the camera is set up, then someone is filmed walking up to it as if it's newly found.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I would recommend keeping it real...meaning don't sanitize it for the viewer. So many shows/videos these days show the shooter pulling the trigger then cuts right to the hero shot, and magically, there is little to no blood, the animal has clearly been repositioned for the camera, the shooter has obviously rehersed what they want to say etc.etc.etc.

simple...get the kids involved and show that hunting is not just about killing...

Nicely said tiger15, I think I would agree on everything said

Thanks guys...I appreciate the input very much! We have some great footage of kids hunting with us and my 9 year old will be hunting with us this year too.

Regarding "How big they are"...we will have a short segment on how to measure a bear hide (without stretching, lol)...and trophy care as well.

I'd like to see more of the stalk hunts for blackies and how much effort really goes into that part of hunting. Seeing the same hunts from a blind over bait gets old. Show some blown 45 min stalks because the wind changed directions, missed shots becasue you just had to run 200 yards side hilling to get a shot off but forgot to take the safety off ect. You know, the real side of hunting. There's already enough stand/blind hunt videos out there. Just my .02 cents

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    I'd like to see more of the stalk hunts for blackies and how much effort really goes into that part of hunting. Seeing the same hunts from a blind over bait gets old. Show some blown 45 min stalks because the wind changed directions, missed shots becasue you just had to run 200 yards side hilling to get a shot off but forgot to take the safety off ect. You know, the real side of hunting. There's already enough stand/blind hunt videos out there. Just my .02 cents
    I totally understand what you are saying. Unfortuneately, here in the interior we are for the most part limited to baiting...of course there are exceptions no doubt...but as for capturing enough video for good shows and movies baiting is really the only avenue we have. As far as work goes...we hauled in nearly 10,000 lbs of bait last year...yea...quite a bit of work! We plan on documenting that this year as well.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Unfortuneately, here in the interior we are for the most part limited to baiting...of course there are exceptions no doubt...but as for capturing enough video for good shows and movies baiting is really the only avenue we have.
    I know what you mean, it'd take three years to get enough for a video I'm sure. And yes there is a ton of work that goes into bait stations and keeping them full. Just wishfull thinking on the requested input. Also, nice Hogs you guys have taken. That one has a huge noggin on him.