I have been debating with my wife on gun control. She does not think they are all that "necessary" but supports it because I really like it and it does no harm to us personally. I used this argument and it really struck home with her. "How many times we have used a gun to protect our own life". She did not think ever. I think differently.
1) In California when somebody was climbing up onto our 2nd story deck in the middle of the night. Many loud F words and the rack of a 20 gauge sent them flying off the deck and down the street. Without the gun, who knows. F words do not deter hoodlums in my opinion.
2) Same apartment. Two drunk men were pounding at my door very angry about something. They were "calling me out" and were obviously into doing harm. They had the wrong house. Informed them of that by racking a 30-30 shell and yelling more f words (I keep using that tactic). They left too.
3) A man prowling outside of our house (in Ca again) when my wife (girlfriend at the time) was at home alone. She turned on all the lights and made a big show of placing a knife by her side on the coffee table. Why she did not go get the pistol and call the cops is a mystery still to me and her. She should have been protecting her self with the .357. She KNOWS where all the guns are in the house and has used every one of them. Anyways, it was there and was need for self defense if that prowler thought he could have entered the house.
4) A bear attacked and killed my dog while I was standing 10 feet from him. I was unarmed, but other campers were not and they shot the bear in about 30 seconds. A very tense 30 seconds mind you. So, not me personally using a gun, but used for me and close enough. I am more diligent now carrying my firearm in the woods.
5) A fugitive from the police was armed and dangerous in the woods behind our house. The police were searching in the dark for him. Again, we had our guns close and all the lights on. Who knows what that fugitive would have done if he KNEW that we were unarmed (like in the UK). He surely passed by our house and sought refuge else where.
6) A camp of homeless men on a ski trail, 3-5 of them by estimation. Drunk. They all stood up and cat called to my wife, and not once. Quite vulgar at times. Outnumbered, I chose to project confidence by using the f bomb again and making a show of putting my hand inside my coat as to draw my pistol without brandishing it. All the time making a hasty retreat and not actually threatening. Deterring. This was reported and later we hear there was a man apprehended close by who had been waving a .38 at skiers with dogs that got to close to him. Probably from that same camp.
These are examples of instances where having a firearm PREVENTED loss of human life. Never have I taken a life and shudder at the prospect. DLP does not always mean pulling the trigger to me. I should have what ever the bad guys have to deter or stop them from hurting my family.