Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Have you used a firearm to protect yourself?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    895

    Default Have you used a firearm to protect yourself?

    I have been debating with my wife on gun control. She does not think they are all that "necessary" but supports it because I really like it and it does no harm to us personally. I used this argument and it really struck home with her. "How many times we have used a gun to protect our own life". She did not think ever. I think differently.

    1) In California when somebody was climbing up onto our 2nd story deck in the middle of the night. Many loud F words and the rack of a 20 gauge sent them flying off the deck and down the street. Without the gun, who knows. F words do not deter hoodlums in my opinion.

    2) Same apartment. Two drunk men were pounding at my door very angry about something. They were "calling me out" and were obviously into doing harm. They had the wrong house. Informed them of that by racking a 30-30 shell and yelling more f words (I keep using that tactic). They left too.

    3) A man prowling outside of our house (in Ca again) when my wife (girlfriend at the time) was at home alone. She turned on all the lights and made a big show of placing a knife by her side on the coffee table. Why she did not go get the pistol and call the cops is a mystery still to me and her. She should have been protecting her self with the .357. She KNOWS where all the guns are in the house and has used every one of them. Anyways, it was there and was need for self defense if that prowler thought he could have entered the house.

    4) A bear attacked and killed my dog while I was standing 10 feet from him. I was unarmed, but other campers were not and they shot the bear in about 30 seconds. A very tense 30 seconds mind you. So, not me personally using a gun, but used for me and close enough. I am more diligent now carrying my firearm in the woods.

    5) A fugitive from the police was armed and dangerous in the woods behind our house. The police were searching in the dark for him. Again, we had our guns close and all the lights on. Who knows what that fugitive would have done if he KNEW that we were unarmed (like in the UK). He surely passed by our house and sought refuge else where.

    6) A camp of homeless men on a ski trail, 3-5 of them by estimation. Drunk. They all stood up and cat called to my wife, and not once. Quite vulgar at times. Outnumbered, I chose to project confidence by using the f bomb again and making a show of putting my hand inside my coat as to draw my pistol without brandishing it. All the time making a hasty retreat and not actually threatening. Deterring. This was reported and later we hear there was a man apprehended close by who had been waving a .38 at skiers with dogs that got to close to him. Probably from that same camp.


    These are examples of instances where having a firearm PREVENTED loss of human life. Never have I taken a life and shudder at the prospect. DLP does not always mean pulling the trigger to me. I should have what ever the bad guys have to deter or stop them from hurting my family.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I have pulled a gun a few times and fired at least once each time. For me if its worth pulling its worth shooting.To many times folks pull guns and get hurt because of talking. Once all I had was a pocket knife and pulled it. The perp dropped his and hid by the trash cans. It was a stop and rob and a cop pulled up and arrested the guy. The cop asked why he threw away his knife and he said when he pulled his I figured I was in trouble.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  3. #3

    Default

    What you explain is one of the hardest things to explain to the "anti gun" group. They use the stats from the paper or law enforcement of all the crimes that were committed with guns while loudly pointing out that the stats show that guns either never or very rarely ever get used to prevent/stop a crime. What they can't seem to understand is that there is no way to quantify the number of crimes that did not happen BECAUSE the person was either armed or there was a suspicion of the person being armed. How would the police know how many times my house has NOT been robbed because the robbers either think I am armed or see my home security system decals? They would only know if it was robbed which would count against us. In your list of instances, the cops may not be aware of a single one of those instances where guns were used to prevent a crime, but if any one of those had followed through to hurt you or your wife, there would have been a solid stat to use against us.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have pulled a gun a few times and fired at least once each time. For me if its worth pulling its worth shooting.To many times folks pull guns and get hurt because of talking.
    Agreed. If there's still room for talking then there's no need for pointing a gun in self defense. And if you need to produce a gun in self defense, then you need to be using it. Carrying a concealed firearm does not embolden me to engage in less safe environments. On the contrary; when I am carrying, I am extra aware and careful to avoid situations which might result in conflict. Carrying a gun involves a great deal of responsibility and does not entitle you to go looking for a fight.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  5. #5
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default Have you used a firearm to protect yourself?

    Three times at O'Dark thirty someone has come knocking on my door. Never opened the door, but I was armed each time, and talked them into going elsewhere.

    A couple times during the day on a weekend I have had kids knock on the door, and when I looked out the spy hole noticed a couple kids hiding to the side. Each time I went back to get the pistol. By the time I answered the door they were already stealing apples, or walking down the street with their mower.

    Why do people think it takes only 2 or 3 seconds for someone to answer the door? I don't spend my free time waiting on the other side of the door, you idiots.

  6. #6

    Default

    Police reports and statistics are gathered after an attack occurs and is REPORTED to the authorities. Many never get reported due to the lack of desire to deal with paper pushing desk jockeys at the police department. Just like in my uncle who called the police are a burgulary, they didn't have any officers available and they would take a report over the phone; he asked them if they could take fingerprints over the phone as well, they said no. An angry call to the police chief (his friend) and the police suddenly had several officers available. You are only a vital statistic and a source of income to the police department, they have no obligation to protect you legally. After being on both sides of the coin these are my observations.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  7. #7

    Default Have you used a firearm to protect yourself?

    Have you used a firearm to protect yourself?

    Yes, Some nights as often as 15 or 20 times a night...........from as many as 3 or 4 BAD guys at the same time.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    What you explain is one of the hardest things to explain to the "anti gun" group. They use the stats from the paper or law enforcement of all the crimes that were committed with guns while loudly pointing out that the stats show that guns either never or very rarely ever get used to prevent/stop a crime. What they can't seem to understand is that there is no way to quantify the number of crimes that did not happen BECAUSE the person was either armed or there was a suspicion of the person being armed.
    That is what I am trying to get at. Thank you. Practical, real life situations that ended well (or not). Not headline grabbing knee jerk reactions.

  9. #9
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I have been debating with my wife on gun control. She does not think they are all that "necessary" but supports it because I really like it and it does no harm to us personally. I used this argument and it really struck home with her. "How many times we have used a gun to protect our own life". She did not think ever. I think differently.

    1) In California when somebody was climbing up onto our 2nd story deck in the middle of the night. Many loud F words and the rack of a 20 gauge sent them flying off the deck and down the street. Without the gun, who knows. F words do not deter hoodlums in my opinion.

    2) Same apartment. Two drunk men were pounding at my door very angry about something. They were "calling me out" and were obviously into doing harm. They had the wrong house. Informed them of that by racking a 30-30 shell and yelling more f words (I keep using that tactic). They left too.

    3) A man prowling outside of our house (in Ca again) when my wife (girlfriend at the time) was at home alone. She turned on all the lights and made a big show of placing a knife by her side on the coffee table. Why she did not go get the pistol and call the cops is a mystery still to me and her. She should have been protecting her self with the .357. She KNOWS where all the guns are in the house and has used every one of them. Anyways, it was there and was need for self defense if that prowler thought he could have entered the house.

    4) A bear attacked and killed my dog while I was standing 10 feet from him. I was unarmed, but other campers were not and they shot the bear in about 30 seconds. A very tense 30 seconds mind you. So, not me personally using a gun, but used for me and close enough. I am more diligent now carrying my firearm in the woods.

    5) A fugitive from the police was armed and dangerous in the woods behind our house. The police were searching in the dark for him. Again, we had our guns close and all the lights on. Who knows what that fugitive would have done if he KNEW that we were unarmed (like in the UK). He surely passed by our house and sought refuge else where.

    6) A camp of homeless men on a ski trail, 3-5 of them by estimation. Drunk. They all stood up and cat called to my wife, and not once. Quite vulgar at times. Outnumbered, I chose to project confidence by using the f bomb again and making a show of putting my hand inside my coat as to draw my pistol without brandishing it. All the time making a hasty retreat and not actually threatening. Deterring. This was reported and later we hear there was a man apprehended close by who had been waving a .38 at skiers with dogs that got to close to him. Probably from that same camp.


    These are examples of instances where having a firearm PREVENTED loss of human life. Never have I taken a life and shudder at the prospect. DLP does not always mean pulling the trigger to me. I should have what ever the bad guys have to deter or stop them from hurting my family.

    As I read your examples, I don't see where having a firearm PREVENTED loss of human life, as in most of them, there doesn't appear to be an actual threat to loss of life (there wasnt even a firearm involved in #3). For the record, I am very pro firearms, and all these situation certainly were tense, and I have no doubt that the firearm gave you a sense of security, but it would be more accurate to say that the firearms COULD have prevented loss of human life in the event the situation progressed to that point.

  10. #10
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    Once. Caught a drunk standing in the middle of the kitchen looking at the front sight of my Ruger .22 magnum. He studdered a lot more once he heard the hammer cock back. He was in the wrong house of the wrong person.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Yep, that is it. Not so dramatic. Not really very interesting or news worthy. Maybe not necessary to have a gun at all then? It hit home with the misses who was there. It was scary, tense and could have gone badly. She is glad we have a way to protect our selves, even if she is tired and frustrated with violent situations and solutions. Many deterrents are used to Prevent loss of life, the gun being one of them. Maybe even my f bombs. Maybe they should be illegal or at least regulated to less than 10 and not used automatically?

    I get your point Frostbitten, firearms "could have prevented" is accurate.

    Hopefully we can get some more boring examples of what could have been.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    As I read your examples, I don't see where having a firearm PREVENTED loss of human life, as in most of them, there doesn't appear to be an actual threat to loss of life (there wasnt even a firearm involved in #3). For the record, I am very pro firearms, and all these situation certainly were tense, and I have no doubt that the firearm gave you a sense of security, but it would be more accurate to say that the firearms COULD have prevented loss of human life in the event the situation progressed to that point.
    Using your logic, there is no possible way for a firearm, or anything for that matter, to conclusively prevent the loss of human life. After all, until someone actually does die, you never know for 100% certainty that they would have died had the event not happened. The point of this was to show that all these instances were stopped at the point where the criminal (or soon to be criminal) realized there was likely a weapon, usually a firearm, in the posession of the potential victim.

  13. #13
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    The fact is......back in the 40s everybody that owned a gun defended themselves against a REAL BIG bad guy without even knowing it. One of the main deterrents for the Japanese empire to not invade the US was because they knew da*n near every private citizen owed a gun.

    If that doesn't tell ya something about the power of owning a firearm, then I don't know what does......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  14. #14

    Default

    Yes I have. Home invasion scenario...one shot fired (mine). Side note....357SJHP at short range over penetrates and causes damage to your home.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  15. #15
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    The existence of private gun ownership is a key piece in crime deterrence. Take note of the recent event where a newspaper published the names and addresses of every registered gun owner in an area of New York. Yes, the gun owners are ticked, but so are all the non-gun owners. When it was a mystery as to who had a gun and who didn't, the deterrent affect canvases the community. Now the bad guys know exactly which people do not have a gun. Targets identified.

    When you have a community that bans guns entirely (e.g. Chicago, NYC, DC, etc), then the wolves know that all the sheep are easy pickings. Crime rates go up because the criminals don't turn in their guns, just the good guys. When you have communities that allow all the law abiding to have guns and carry them concealed, then the criminals must be very careful and the crime rates go down.

    The crime deterrence of gun ownership is immeasurable and goes far beyond just having a gun in the drawer. Those who choose to arm themselves also tend to be better at recognizing and avoiding bad situations. The nature of a gun owner is to be more vigilant than the unarmed portion of the flock.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  16. #16
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    I used to live in an area very similar to the houses these psychos targeted. Mr Patti could very well have been the first victim had he not been armed:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8572573/.../#.UN0i-6WX_pA

    I also used to live near this horror. The scumbags who perpetrated it used to harass my nephew in high school Our world isn't Ozzie and Harriet, if it ever was:

    http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Mon...z/-/index.html

    If she'd had a gun, it might have ended differently. It was a man's worst nightmare. The husband was away on a business trip. Even in nice places, psychopaths roam the earth. Mr. Smith and Wesson, or my personal fav - H&K, keep the playing field level.

  17. #17
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I've drawn a weapon one time- years and years ago in TN. A couple of local hicks in a in a pickup attempted to assault me on my motorcycle after forcing me off the road. A drawn pistol gave them enough pause for me to get my helmet off- turns out they were looking for a guy with a bike that looked like mine.

    They backed off and left. Pretty happy I didn't end up ventilating somebody over a mistaken identity...although given their proclivity for violence and alcohol I'm sure they got some of what they deserved somewhere along the way.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Agreed. If there's still room for talking then there's no need for pointing a gun in self defense. And if you need to produce a gun in self defense, then you need to be using it. Carrying a concealed firearm does not embolden me to engage in less safe environments. On the contrary; when I am carrying, I am extra aware and careful to avoid situations which might result in conflict. Carrying a gun involves a great deal of responsibility and does not entitle you to go looking for a fight.
    And this right here sums it up.agree 100%. Have used to prevent crime before, thankful i was young enough to feel the visable possesion of a gun was enough to prevent crime. Doubt i am so trusting today, hope to never find out, prepared if tested.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    131

    Default

    I was traveling out of town in Vegas on business. Late one evening I was picking up some BBQ at Memphis BBQ for dinner (its in North Las Vegas, right across the street from Nellis AFB). The area has gone downhill but the parking lot has a light and you can see the gate of the base so I figured I'd be ok. I have gone there many times before and the police actually like to eat there too so it is not exactly a dive. Its just a decent restaurant in an are that has had a rough time with the recession.

    I exited my car and a woman came from the shadows near a car, walking towards me. She looked unkempt and a bit wild eyed. About three or four parking spots away she called out to me, something like, "Hey, please help me get some money, I just got clean, I need money before I get signed up for some help..." Homeless folks are pretty common in N Las Vegas and while I don't give them money I was going to offer to buy her a BBQ sandwich and give her the MRE out of my trunk.

    However, about two parking spots away I noticed she was reaching for some sort of knife in her pocket. Looked like a folding knife clipped into her front left pocket. I didn't get a great look at it. I'm glad I was high situational awareness, already mentally in condition "orange," and watching her hands rather than her face.

    I bladed about 30 degrees, cleared my concealment garment, gripped my concealed IWB handgun, and ordered her to "STOP RIGHT THERE." Her eyes got wide, she stopped in her tracks, and then she beat it, muttering to herself.

    I didn't have to draw, I don't know if she even knew I had a handgun (although I suspect she did), but that's as far as it went. Who knows, maybe she didn't intend to attack me with the knife, but I wasn't taking any chances. Could I have taken a strung out drug addict woman that weighs 120 lbs without my sidearm? Probably, but I definitely would have gotten cut with the knife, and folks on drugs can be surprisingly strong. Having the handgun was definitely comforting and I think it helped me project the confidence I needed to survive the encounter without things escalating further. I reported the incident to the military gate guard across the street who said he'd relay it to the Las Vegas Metro. I never heard from them and it never showed up on their crime map app so I am guessing it never went further.

    I got my money's worth from Alaska Tactical. Training is well worth the time and expense.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Yes: California = 1; Vietnam [as a civilian] = 2, and in Alaska = 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •