Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Custom lures worth the money?

Default Kodiak Custom lures worth the money?

I received a 10-oz Kodiak Custom bottom fish jig for Christmas that costs $20. Are they really worth that much money? Anyone have any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I received a 10-oz Kodiak Custom bottom fish jig for Christmas that costs $20. Are they really worth that much money? Anyone have any experience with them?
    Man, that's a pretty "loaded" question. I think if you ask that question about any lure you're going to get arguments on both sides of the equation.

Personally I don't think ANY "bottom fish" jig is worth that much money. I use about $6 worth of Boneyard Baits lead head and grub that catches plenty of fish and some BIG fish, too (pictures of them on my website). So why spend money on a lure that costs 3 times as much and catches the same fish?

Do they work? Take a look at the pictures on their website and I think you'll see the answer to that. If someone gave me one I certainly would utilize it to its full extent because I have no doubt they'll catch fish. But would I spend $20 on a bottomfish jig? Only if someone could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it will catch a lot more fish than I already catch and/or bigger fish.

Which brings up something else that would bother me about spending that much. A major problem I'd see in spending that much on a bottom fish jig is that losing them to rocky pinnacles is not unusual where I normally fish. There's no way I'm going to go out and spend that much on something I'm going to be constantly worried about losing at any given time.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I've used them and they work great, but as mutt said does it work better 3 times better then other jigs? As far as loosing gear while fishing pinnacles, if someone is operating the boat( controlling the drift) while others are fishing you shouldn't get hung up. I used to loose jigs until one of my charter freinds explained/showed how he jigs 8-10 people with little to no loss.
    Boatless

Worth every penny....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

You can be sure that if a jig that expensive is used on my boat, I'll be the one using it. I'd rather get mad at myself than to get mad at someone else who loses the jig because they weren't paying attention. I'll probably just keep it and see if it's all that it's cracked up to be. I might be pleasantly surprised. If not, then I'll go back to buying what I've always bought (which is cheaper).

Skydiver,

We have actually used the Kodiak jig for years. They have a few issues - trailer hook breaks off often, have some flip issues when bait is added. However, they are HANDS DOWN the best jig we have ever used. Matter of fact our whole fishing group dubs then tem the magic jig. Halibut it rocks. Cod, a KILLER. Yelloweye, spectacular. Lings - passable.

The jig tracks amazingly when on the drift, drift fishing is where jigs shine.

I have run jig trials, it wins hands down. I did give my address to the boneyard folks to run tests and have never got to try them against the Kodiak but I have run grubs and leadheads and it was a no brainer.

We don't lose many, we have determined that the cost is worth the benefit. Run that jig with ANY other on the drift and see what works.

For lings, a 24 oz leadhead with the most ridiculous skirt you can find works for us. We use red ones, 16 inches long and call them the big nasties.

For the record we use the biggest ones I think theyre 14 oz.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

As Gooch just said. Trailer hooks break off easy and Found the paint gets chipped off pretty good after just a day or 2 of fishing. Do they catch fish? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    ...my charter freinds explained/showed how he jigs 8-10 people with little to no loss.
    Please share with us. I'd be interested in knowing how you do it.

You give them the first two jigs, and charge for the rest!!!!

The Kodiak Custom jigs work great. I personally use them to first mark where fish are and then switch to lighter gear for the majority of the catching. As mentioned, the stinger is a bit weak but also believe that if you don`t practice bad habits of lifting the fish out of the water by the jig (mentioned on the packaging) or locking down on the drag close to the boat, they hold up fine. I take their stinger off because of the rig I use which would equal 3 hooks in the water with the stinger. A crimped bit of 400# mono is a quick fix for those that use the stinger. One upside on rocky areas for the Kodiak is that it is articulated and is easier to free than say, a leadhead jig. When a leadhead burrows in it`s about over. I can get just about every Kodiak back. The Kodiaks work so well that I have machined mini versions for use with my ice fishing rod. I haven`t weighed the small ones but my guess is between 2-3 ounces on the smallest and the next biggest comes in at about 5 ounces. Was just at Sportsman`s Warehouse and the 14oz. Kodiak is $17.99 and the 16oz. bare leadhead jig is a bit over $8. Add a tail to a leadhead and you`re at $10. My ultimate favorite is a 7oz. Williams Vortex followed by the Kodiak and then the new Savage cutbait herring swimbait. The Savage jig freaking kills the lings!

If the hooks break off or any damage to the jig. They will sent you a new one if you send you old one in to them. I sent 6 this spring after talking to them at sportmans show. Also he said they were coming out with 24oz one for when tide is still ripping
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I made my own trailers with 400# line and nice big Gami hooks. Work like a dream. He told me he would replace them as well but it is just easier to put them on myself. We ran 60 personal days of bottom fishing in some way shape or form last summer and we lost about 8 lures and ALL the original trailer hooks.

Man that 24 ouncer ought to be bomber, I like the heavier gear.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I have experimented with a lot of different brands and styles of jigs (butterfly, Crippled Herring, lead-head with scampi, Benthos speed jigs, home-made copper tubing jigs, Vike, and etc.), and I really like the Kodiak Tackle jigs. We can get them in Juneau for about $15.00 each and I feel that they are worth it. Because they are so effective for me, I use mine to check out new halibut spots I am drifting across to see if there is a good reason to anchor up on the spot. I have found the 10 ounce blue/white colored skirts produce the best.

Their trailer hook rigging with the crimped cable is pretty flimsy. I have broken-off the first fish hooked on a brand new one the summer of 2011 (it felt like a p-cod, not a halibut). I have a few trailers pre-tied with green 350# test gangion twine and a berkley snap and these work very well for me. I pitch the octopus hook that comes as the trailer and replace them with Mustad 5/0 siwash hooks. I have kept a few Kodiak jigs long enough to wear down the points on the main hooks (from repeated sharpening) and I replaced these with Mustad 7691S stainless Tuna hooks. They kept right on producing.

Kodiak Custom Fishing Lures are of the highest quality I have ever observed in over two decades worth of travel to, and fishing in, the state of Alaska.

I've authored two fishing guidebooks to AK. I also side-lined a fishing lure business for over 5 years. Certainly, I respect opinions of all anglers since they are based on application of product use. I will add the following; I know the manufacturer Tony Davis, pretty well. I have fished with him, done business with him, and have even been privileged to see him at work. The guy is relentless in the quest for quality, and if things don't measure up in performance, he will not do it. (He dropped me due to erratic product performance when my line was in evolution.)

Davis is local, lives in Soldotna, and stands behind everything he sells. Check him out at www.KodiakCustom.com. His website is quite rich in detailed information, has plenty of amusing stories, and he will give any angler a real treat well before even going to his online store.

They don't call him "Famous Davis" for nothing. He earned it...

Bernard Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I think they're worth 20 bucks. It's not the only jig I fish, but it's my hands-down favorite.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Well...I'll find out, just placed an order with Kodiak Custom. But...AK2AZ, I went on the Savage site, and cannot find the "Savage cutbait herring swimbait"....tried their search too, and they said nothing found...can you give me a link to those?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Well...I'll find out, just placed an order with Kodiak Custom. But...AK2AZ, I went on the Savage site, and cannot find the "Savage cutbait herring swimbait"....tried their search too, and they said nothing found...can you give me a link to those?
    I`d be happy to help...lure in action video.

http://www.savage-gear.com/PLayYouTu...id=Hx7bhDyt5uI

Halibut Queen video...just cause.

http://www.savage-gear.com/PLayYouTu...id=dfmrPLpU1TE

Seem to be quite a bit more effective than the old leadhead setup. Fished both on a very good ling spot...on anchor...and the Savage did over 5 times better.

Hopefully this address will get you to the catalog page

http://www.savage-gear.com/ecatalogu...lash.html#/38/

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    The Savage jig freaking kills the lings!
    I'd like to give them a try, but I'm finding it difficult to find them for sale. Where do you purchase them from?

Default kodiak jig 20 Bucks?

Really? 20 bucks for that? am I looking at the same thing? Looks like you could make one of those up for less than $5.00. Not much to them.
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'd like to give them a try, but I'm finding it difficult to find them for sale. Where do you purchase them from?
    B&Js has a good selection.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast