Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Matsu Ice thickness

  1. #1
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Wondering if I'll need an extension yet particularly for Long Lake.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  2. #2
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    I doubt it. Probably 3 feet max.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  3. #3

    Default

    not yet , but it wont be long.

  4. #4

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Hows the fishing at long lake?

  5. #5

    Default

    Last month, the ice was about 3' thick on Bonnie lake. I think there is some lakes in the valley that will need an extension now, and others where you might only find 12-20 inches of ice.

  6. #6
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    or just always have it with you....
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  7. #7
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    or just always have it with you....
    Sound advice.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  8. #8
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    wasnt trying to be a D*ck but seriously. just leave it on your auger on the lowest setting and put the allen wrench in your tackle box. it is not that hard and you wont have to worry about it..... what it adds another pound and a half to the load. just cause some one says ya you probably wont need it. then you get to the spot and there are a few ice sheets under the regular ice sheet and oh cant fish that spot cause you wont make it down without an extension.. ( if your going hunting for a few days and the weather man says there is not going to be rain. are you not going to bring any rain gear?)
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  9. #9

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    wasnt trying to be a D*ck but seriously. just leave it on your auger on the lowest setting and put the allen wrench in your tackle box. it is not that hard and you wont have to worry about it..... what it adds another pound and a half to the load. just cause some one says ya you probably wont need it. then you get to the spot and there are a few ice sheets under the regular ice sheet and oh cant fish that spot cause you wont make it down without an extension.. ( if your going hunting for a few days and the weather man says there is not going to be rain. are you not going to bring any rain gear?)
    Maybe he was saving money?

  10. #10
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Or maybe I recently bought an auger from the 80's that didn't come with an extension and I haven't had one fabricated to fit it yet. Maybe I was asking so that I could see about borrowing a friends auger who does have an extension. Anyway, I fished long on Friday and didn't need an extension, though it is getting close. Cheers and tight lines!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,198

    Default

    Speaking of Augers, found one with an extension on the trail out of Pt Mac. Probaly headed to Figure Eight. Anyone missing theirs?

  12. #12
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Speaking of Augers, found one with an extension on the trail out of Pt Mac. Probaly headed to Figure Eight. Anyone missing theirs?
    ill take it. its not mine tho.
    Semper Fi!

  13. #13
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    Maybe he was saving money?
    saving money......ok its another what 30 bucks. thats nothing compared to the other gear that is involved for ice fishing. i have an auger that was handed down to me. its a strike master cobra. the mofo is probably 20 years old and i have an extension for it. you can make up all the reasons you want but it still doesnt make sense that you would always have one with you especially ice fishing up in ak. an extension could be an essential piece of equipment to go ice fishing so why wouldnt you have one?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  14. #14

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    saving money......ok its another what 30 bucks. thats nothing compared to the other gear that is involved for ice fishing. i have an auger that was handed down to me. its a strike master cobra. the mofo is probably 20 years old and i have an extension for it. you can make up all the reasons you want but it still doesnt make sense that you would always have one with you especially ice fishing up in ak. an extension could be an essential piece of equipment to go ice fishing so why wouldnt you have one?
    I have a 10" mako and i dont have an exstension disnt use it all last season did u?

  15. #15

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Or maybe I recently bought an auger from the 80's that didn't come with an extension and I haven't had one fabricated to fit it yet. Maybe I was asking so that I could see about borrowing a friends auger who does have an extension. Anyway, I fished long on Friday and didn't need an extension, though it is getting close. Cheers and tight lines!
    How was the fishing at long?

  16. #16
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    I have a 10" mako and i dont have an exstension disnt use it all last season did u?
    after trying to decipher the language you just typed in this is my answer
    yes i did use my extension.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  17. #17

    Default Matsu Ice thickness

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    after trying to decipher the language you just typed in this is my answer
    yes i did use my extension.
    Yea your right your smart picking a fight over something stupid on a forum...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    ill take it. its not mine tho.
    If no one claims it it's all yours Greythorn3. I 'll be doing my winter fishing at our farm in Hawaii!

  19. #19
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    an extension could be an essential piece of equipment to go ice fishing so why wouldnt you have one?
    You are right kwack and there ain't any good answers to your question. My bad for asking a simple question and receiving answers that made my fishing trip easier and probably helped others with theirs. My single blade Tecumseh 8300 Sweet Cut that I picked up for 50 bucks cut through with no need for an extension. I will need to get one for it before long.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  20. #20
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Speaking of Augers, found one with an extension on the trail out of Pt Mac. Probaly headed to Figure Eight. Anyone missing theirs?
    I'd call 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle; they get a lot of reports from fishermen. If I lost anything fishing I'd certainly check with them. Number is 373-5434

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •