Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matsu Ice thickness

Default Matsu Ice thickness

Wondering if I'll need an extension yet particularly for Long Lake.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I doubt it. Probably 3 feet max.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

not yet , but it wont be long.

Hows the fishing at long lake?

Last month, the ice was about 3' thick on Bonnie lake. I think there is some lakes in the valley that will need an extension now, and others where you might only find 12-20 inches of ice.

or just always have it with you....
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    or just always have it with you....
    Sound advice.

wasnt trying to be a D*ck but seriously. just leave it on your auger on the lowest setting and put the allen wrench in your tackle box. it is not that hard and you wont have to worry about it..... what it adds another pound and a half to the load. just cause some one says ya you probably wont need it. then you get to the spot and there are a few ice sheets under the regular ice sheet and oh cant fish that spot cause you wont make it down without an extension.. ( if your going hunting for a few days and the weather man says there is not going to be rain. are you not going to bring any rain gear?)

wasnt trying to be a D*ck but seriously. just leave it on your auger on the lowest setting and put the allen wrench in your tackle box. it is not that hard and you wont have to worry about it..... what it adds another pound and a half to the load. just cause some one says ya you probably wont need it. then you get to the spot and there are a few ice sheets under the regular ice sheet and oh cant fish that spot cause you wont make it down without an extension.. ( if your going hunting for a few days and the weather man says there is not going to be rain. are you not going to bring any rain gear?)
    Maybe he was saving money?

Or maybe I recently bought an auger from the 80's that didn't come with an extension and I haven't had one fabricated to fit it yet. Maybe I was asking so that I could see about borrowing a friends auger who does have an extension. Anyway, I fished long on Friday and didn't need an extension, though it is getting close. Cheers and tight lines!

Speaking of Augers, found one with an extension on the trail out of Pt Mac. Probaly headed to Figure Eight. Anyone missing theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Speaking of Augers, found one with an extension on the trail out of Pt Mac. Probaly headed to Figure Eight. Anyone missing theirs?
    ill take it. its not mine tho.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    Maybe he was saving money?
    saving money......ok its another what 30 bucks. thats nothing compared to the other gear that is involved for ice fishing. i have an auger that was handed down to me. its a strike master cobra. the mofo is probably 20 years old and i have an extension for it. you can make up all the reasons you want but it still doesnt make sense that you would always have one with you especially ice fishing up in ak. an extension could be an essential piece of equipment to go ice fishing so why wouldnt you have one?

saving money......ok its another what 30 bucks. thats nothing compared to the other gear that is involved for ice fishing. i have an auger that was handed down to me. its a strike master cobra. the mofo is probably 20 years old and i have an extension for it. you can make up all the reasons you want but it still doesnt make sense that you would always have one with you especially ice fishing up in ak. an extension could be an essential piece of equipment to go ice fishing so why wouldnt you have one?
    I have a 10" mako and i dont have an exstension disnt use it all last season did u?

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Or maybe I recently bought an auger from the 80's that didn't come with an extension and I haven't had one fabricated to fit it yet. Maybe I was asking so that I could see about borrowing a friends auger who does have an extension. Anyway, I fished long on Friday and didn't need an extension, though it is getting close. Cheers and tight lines!
    How was the fishing at long?

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    I have a 10" mako and i dont have an exstension disnt use it all last season did u?
    after trying to decipher the language you just typed in this is my answer
    yes i did use my extension.

after trying to decipher the language you just typed in this is my answer
    yes i did use my extension.
    Yea your right your smart picking a fight over something stupid on a forum...

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    ill take it. its not mine tho.
    If no one claims it it's all yours Greythorn3. I 'll be doing my winter fishing at our farm in Hawaii!

an extension could be an essential piece of equipment to go ice fishing so why wouldnt you have one?
    You are right kwack and there ain't any good answers to your question. My bad for asking a simple question and receiving answers that made my fishing trip easier and probably helped others with theirs. My single blade Tecumseh 8300 Sweet Cut that I picked up for 50 bucks cut through with no need for an extension. I will need to get one for it before long.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I'd call 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle; they get a lot of reports from fishermen. If I lost anything fishing I'd certainly check with them. Number is 373-5434

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast