Thread: UHMW or not? Is it worth the additional cost?

Default UHMW or not? Is it worth the additional cost?

This is an option on the Extreme Shallow that I am looking to purchase. I'll be using the boat in AL / GA - is this plastic addition worth it? Feedback would be apprecaited!

Thanks and take care!

If you plan to really push into skinny water with gravel bottoms, I'd certainly spring for it.

It's not a matter of if you'll find out how shallow you can go, but when

I considered it as well for my SportJon, but a concern I had was it's condition after 5, 10 years as far as adhesion to the hull...just a thought.

The XS I looked at with UHMW on the bottom looked to me like it must have had 300 bolt holes in it. Just my opinion but it looks like the potential of some serious leaks in the future? I have also heard some horror stories about other brands when the UHMW gets peeled loose while way up the river, a big flap of UHMW hanging down will not let you get on step. My regular old aluminum bottom on my XS has held up just fine to some substantial abuse over the last couple of summers and the new ones have a 5086 bottom for improved impact resistance. I believe there is also a steel keel plate available as a option. The UHMW will slide across gravel bars much farther but I just try and go around them when possible.