Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 target pistol favorites

Default .22 target pistol favorites

I have a .22 Micro-Mark Browning. I like it and it is ok accurate. I'm not totally pleased with the trigger and think a better trigger would make it more accurate. I want to shoot paper targets with an accurate .22 at an indoor range for best accuracy.

What is your favorite most accurate .22 pistol or revolver and your reasons why it works well for you. Thanks!!!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

S&W model 41. I've had it for many years and still very accurate.
    It has a nice trigger too!
    The new ones are a little expensive.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default Mdl 41

The S&W Mdl 41 is the clear leader of the pack when it comes to readily available .22 target pistols. Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for - an investment in a fine firearm.

I've let people with other pistols like Rugers shoot my Mdl 41 and the response has generally been: "Wish I'd waited and got a 41".

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    S&W model 41. I've had it for many years and still very accurate.
    It has a nice trigger too!
    The new ones are a little expensive.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Its not a target pistol, but mines a regent 22 revolver. Its my favorite, because its the only 22 handgun I own.

I like the Ruger MKIIs. My favorite is a Govt target model that I tuned up a bit.

However, I think if I could have anything I wild kick someone in the pants at Ruger and have a STEEL or SS framed 22/45 made. A 5 or 5 1/2" steel 22/45 with their standard bull barrel would feel great, I just could not get use to mine and sold it.

About 20 years ago I spent several years trying all the 22 pistols. What I like the best and seemed the most accurate were the old High Standards.
    Never owned a model 41 S&W wanted a field pistol that was extremly accurate. One that suprised me on accuracy was the Norinco copy
    of the Walther a target pistol around $150. In revolvers the K22 was very accurate more than Colts Dimondback IMHO. But now that eyes are
    not as sharp can,t shoot as well.

Revolvers, hands down the Freedom Arms 22. You can buy them with or without match chambers. With, you usually have to pound out the cases with a wooden dowl, without can use the ejection rod. Regretted selling both of the one's I used to own.
    Semi autos, the original High Standard Victors or Citations.

These opinions are based after owning 2 different S&W 41's, numerous Ruger Mark l and Mark ll's as well as one Browning Buckmark. As far as revolvers, owned a bunch of Ruger Single Sixes, 1 Single 10, and numerous S&W's including a K22 and 617's in addition to the FA's.

If you desire an accurate pistol to shoot holes in paper the Pardini is hands down the way to go. I used to shoot a Hammerli 232 and it seemed to be accurate as well( these are very well made but very finiky). These are both accurate pistols but somewhat expensive and they will require a bit of trial and error to determine what ammo and "Lots" of ammo they like; Many 22 LRs prefer a standard velocity-lead bullet for the best performance. For a currently produced field carry 22LR pistol that is extremely accurate I'ld try the Sig Trailside mine works and shoots very accurately for a field style gun.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    I have a .22 Micro-Mark Browning. I like it and it is ok accurate. I'm not totally pleased with the trigger and think a better trigger would make it more accurate. I want to shoot paper targets with an accurate .22 at an indoor range for best accuracy.

What is your favorite most accurate .22 pistol or revolver and your reasons why it works well for you. Thanks!!!
    Hammerli 208S has a great trigger and ergonomic grips, I like it.
    before that
    Marvel conversion on a colt govt lower, soon to have a Caspian dedicated lower
    before that SW 41 5 in good trigger, older one
    HS Supermatic Citation

For real accuracy you have to go to the real target pistols such as Hammerli, Walthers, Pardini,Benelli,Morini,FWB and a few other expensive target pistols. If you are starting Indoor 50' NRA Bulleye type shooting, most of the mid range target pistols will do fine. Few people can out shoot a M41, High Standard Target of any variaty or even a Ruger MKI Target (with trigger job). Once you can shoot 290/300, then it's time to spend some money.
    My favorite is my Ruger MKI T. My most accurate is probably my early Walthers Olympic Target pistol but it isn't scoped like my ruger so I don't shoot it as well.
    More important than the gun is the person holding it.

HS Supermatic Citation. Still a one holer, even though I have to use 2 hands

Default out shoot..

Very few of us can out shoot our .22 target pistols - in fact most .22 pistols. I've had a few bummers like my early Ruger Bearcat and a couple of cheap autos with loose slides but most guns with good ammo will do quite well.

And most of us in AK aren't that much into the indoor .22 shooting anyway - we like big bore stuff that doesn't help our traditional target shooting a great deal. I will admit however, that shooting large bore stuff has completely cured any flinching. I can now squeeze the trigger on the biggest baddest pistol with no flinch.

I've had a number of the better High Standards target pistols over the years and they shot very well, but I've always went back to the older S&W Mdl 41s for everyday shooting. I've got one of the lightweight short barrels that even makes the 41 into a decent carry pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    For real accuracy you have to go to the real target pistols such as Hammerli, Walthers, Pardini,Benelli,Morini,FWB and a few other expensive target pistols. If you are starting Indoor 50' NRA Bulleye type shooting, most of the mid range target pistols will do fine. Few people can out shoot a M41, High Standard Target of any variaty or even a Ruger MKI Target (with trigger job). Once you can shoot 290/300, then it's time to spend some money.
    My favorite is my Ruger MKI T. My most accurate is probably my early Walthers Olympic Target pistol but it isn't scoped like my ruger so I don't shoot it as well.
    More important than the gun is the person holding it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have always been a revolver guy when it comes to handguns, but I get the chance to fiddle with lots of autos at work. Insofar as target style autos go, readily available and less expensive than a full blown target gun, I like the M41 and believe it or not the Buckmark. My Dad and uncle both have the cheapie Camper Buckmarks, and scoped I have shot groups hovering around .250 for 10 shots at 50ft, from a rest of course. The M41 is a beautiful peiece of machinery, and I will own one some day, maybe I can talk my father inlaw out of his.

Unless you really take good care of it I would not recommend a High Standard, accurate as they are. They are finicky pistols, subject to ammo and much tuning. The magazine tuning is also very important and not for the sometime kitchen table gunsmith, as they are fragile and getting harder to replace. They are accurate, I'll give them that, but when the longtime Foreman of the old High Standard company says they are fragile and finicky, you probably ought to listen to what Mr. Shay has to say on the matter.

I have had the pleasure of shooting a few very nice K22 revolvers of the years, as well as a Colt Officers Model Match. They all shot quite well but have a tendency to produce more flyers than an auto as you essentially have 6 singleshots, that must all be uniform to one another for good groups. They shoot better than I can offhand, but from a rest you will often find one chamber that prints it's shot to a slightly different place.

I would recommend a Ruger either one of the Mark I II orIII or the 22/45 depending on which grip angle you like best. Pick the one that feels best for balance, not to much barrel weight but not muzzle light either. Have a trigger job done and you will have a pistol that will shoot very well with very few malfunctions. My MK I has at least 20,000 rds through it by me ( I bought it used ) and has never failed to feed. The only time it ever fails to fire is when the round is defective or the one time I broke a firing pin. It cost $.50 for a new one from Ruger. That should give you some idea of how long ago that was. Some folks have difficulty reassembling the Rugers but it is quite easy when you know how. I have a Buckmark as well but its trigger has too small of curve and doesn't fit my finger well and it's not as accurate as either of my Ruger MKI Ts. I haven't shot some of the newer cheaper 22 autos like the S&W or Walthers so I can't comment on those but all of the 6 or 7 Rugers I have messed with have shot very well. Most cheaper 22 autos could stand a trigger job including all the Rugers I have dealt with. I also have a S&W K22 that is quite accurate but it is a whole different ball of worms to shoot rapid fire with that an auto.

Unless you really take good care of it I would not recommend a High Standard, accurate as they are. They are finicky pistols, subject to ammo and much tuning. The magazine tuning is also very important and not for the sometime kitchen table gunsmith, as they are fragile and getting harder to replace. They are accurate, I'll give them that, but when the longtime Foreman of the old High Standard company says they are fragile and finicky, you probably ought to listen to what Mr. Shay has to say on the matter.
    Dont be dissing my High Standard you wet-behind-the-ears-9-foot-tall-stringbean-gunwrench Kid.

Yah, Yah, mine was tuned by Bob Shea a few years back so it will outlast me. Just dont funk with the mags, pay $100 for a new one, use only match ammo, etc.

HS will outshoot a 41 in my hands anyway. Now, you want something that will outshoot them both, get a Swiss 210 .22 conversion kit. Lets see, $2500 for the base pistol, $2000 for the kit, $175 per mag. Ill sell my M1A and buy one

I'll stick with my S&W model-17 Target Master w/ 8 3/8" Barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I'll stick with my S&W model-17 Target Master w/ 8 3/8" Barrel.

I have a 6" myself. But the HS will outshhot it

Default .22 target pistol favorites

I like the woodsman's. Some of the best shooting pistols I've had my hands on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

Quote Originally Posted by YZ426F View Post
    I like the woodsman's. Some of the best shooting pistols I've had my hands on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Had a Woodsman Match Target 4" back in the 1970's. Accurate as any other match gun I've owned (Smith, Ruger, Walther and High Standard) when I did my part, in spite of the unusual 4" barrel. Clearly the easiest packing field gun I've ever owned.

It was stolen after I'd owned it a couple of years (know who did it but never managed to get it back), and I never found a replacement. Sniffle.

i now shoot a browning buckmark micro and like it very much. for me it shoots with target pistols i have known.
    on the military police pistol team we used high standard trophy models, and found them very accurate ( with match ammunition ) my needs are simpler now.
    happy trails.
    jh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast