Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feinsteins 2013 AWB Summary

Default Feinsteins 2013 AWB Summary

I'm not sure how current this is, when it was released or if it is a complete summary but it's public.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

• Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
      • 120 specifically-named firearms
      • Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
      • Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

• Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
      • Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
      • Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
      • Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

• Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
    • Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
      • Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
      • Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
      • Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

• Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
      • Background check of owner and any transferee;
      • Type and serial number of the firearm;
      • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
      • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
      • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Last edited by Snyd; 12-26-2012 at 23:33.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Well... are ya'll ready to register your "assault weapons"?

I'd like to see these lists...

Well, since I'm thinking a "Military Characteristic" is a trigger, they all qualify....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Well... are ya'll ready to register your "assault weapons"?
    Nope! I don't think it will fly in the end. Outrage is giveing way to logic much faster than I had thought, people seem to get that we were down this road befor for nothing.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Nope! I don't think it will fly in the end. Outrage is giveing way to logic much faster than I had thought, people seem to get that we were down this road befor for nothing.
    We need to put the pressure on our reps and get behind our pro organizations, NRA and GOA. I think there's a good chance we can defeat it.

What the hell is a bullet button and why 120 specific weapons? Not 119? Not 121? Amazing.

We need to put the pressure on our reps and get behind our pro organizations, NRA and GOA. I think there's a good chance we can defeat it.

Executive Order? Presidential Directive? National Security Directive?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

Executive Order? Presidential Directive? National Security Directive?
    I don't think you have to worry much about that. This president has used the Executive Order much more than his predecessors, but none of them have circumvented the constitution. Thus far, they have all been about school loans, the failed Dream Act, financial assistance for homeowners, etc. (You know, give aways.) I don't believe he'll try to use it to circumvent a failed AWB Bill. (I also don't believe the Supreme Court would stand for it.) That's just not how our government works. (Not that the current president understands that.)

Presidential and Security Directives are typically administrative in nature, not legislative. For example, it was a Presidential Directive that created much of the National Response Framework (NRF) that FEMA and local emergency managers now use to guide disaster response. It doesn't create new laws. (More bureaucracy perhaps.)

I, too, would like to see both the 120 gun list and the 900 gun list. But, from you posted, Snyd, this looks to just be the same old same old. I would not support this, just based on what vague (probably intentionally vague) info is available on her site.

Default Re: Feinsteins 2013 AWB Summary

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    What the hell is a bullet button and why 120 specific weapons? Not 119? Not 121? Amazing.
    A bullet button was explained to me on my recent hunt to California... On an AR you have a magazine release, well in california having the ability to quickly change mags is illegal so the magazine release button is replaced by the bullet button which uses the tip of a bullet inserted in a small hole where the mag release used to be to drop the mag. I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What should make you worry even more than the "meat" of her proposed Gun Ban is the justification for it. Note the list of newpaper articles, letters to the editor, and other OPINION pieces that are cited as justification for this Gun Ban. Lies, lies, and more lies.

A rail system is a military characteristic. So is a barrel less than 24" or so. So is an ejection port cover. And a swing away trigger guard. And "tactical" sling mounts. And any semi-automatic gas-driven cycling system. And a storage box in a stock. And the list goes on and on. If it only takes ONE item from that list to make it an "assault weapon", then they have effectively banned ALL guns.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I don't think you have to worry much about that. This president has used the Executive Order much more than his predecessors, but none of them have circumvented the constitution. Thus far, they have all been about school loans, the failed Dream Act, financial assistance for homeowners, etc. (You know, give aways.) I don't believe he'll try to use it to circumvent a failed AWB Bill. (I also don't believe the Supreme Court would stand for it.) That's just not how our government works. (Not that the current president understands that.)

Presidential and Security Directives are typically administrative in nature, not legislative. For example, it was a Presidential Directive that created much of the National Response Framework (NRF) that FEMA and local emergency managers now use to guide disaster response. It doesn't create new laws. (More bureaucracy perhaps.)

I, too, would like to see both the 120 gun list and the 900 gun list. But, from you posted, Snyd, this looks to just be the same old same old. I would not support this, just based on what vague (probably intentionally vague) info is available on her site.
    Actually, I think GWB issued close to 300, Obama is at close to 150. At any rate, if Obama could get the National Security Council to go along this AWB could fall under National Security, Homeland security or anything else he could dream up. Like forcing us to buy Health Insurance and putting it under the Commerce Clause, but that's for a different forum. I for one am genuinely concerned that he will do this. I'm no expert but I do beleive he could wield the pen to defeat the sword in the case.

From what little we've seen in this summary, this bill is much more far reaching than the first and has no sunset clause. She is on record stating this is permanent.

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

• Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

• Background check of owner and any transferee;
    • Type and serial number of the firearm;
    • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Also, what is a "legitimate Hunter"? This implys there are illegitimate Hunters. Does legitimacy depend on the weapon one uses? I always figured there were hunters, non-hunters and poachers.

This also says it "protects the rights of existing gun owners" What about future gun owners?

It doesn't surprise me that you don't support this. It has no clause for confiscation and destruction.
    Last edited by Snyd; 12-27-2012 at 10:00.

I hope Feinstein is successful in fully pushing her entire agenda. The sooner the better, very early 2013 is a perfect target.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I hope Feinstein is successful in fully pushing her entire agenda. The sooner the better, very early 2013 is a perfect target.
    For what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I don't think you have to worry much about that.
    I think we should to be very concerned about this!
    "Grin and Bear It"

For what purpose?
    America has shown that it is willing to give up its rights, "IF" they are taken slowly and in small increments. "OUR" only hope of restating America to its former Majesty, is if the "FOOLS" in Washington are stupid and arrogant enough to implement drastic change.

Wink

Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill

God rest ye, merry gentlemen, let this bill not you dismay.

Check the 800+ comments below the article. . this thing hasn't a snowball's chance in hell.

I really don't believe that 'comments' will make a difference on anything anywhere, it's not like when you vote for or against something. The big problem is who got voted into office.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I really don't believe that 'comments' will make a difference on anything anywhere, it's not like when you vote for or against something.

The big problem is who got voted into office.
    The BIG problem is WHO voted them into office. They are the problem. We have lost America, and the odds of getting America BACK diminish day after day........................http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/27/opinio...html?hpt=hp_c1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast