Thread: Hunting hare with beagles

Default Hunting hare with beagles

I live in eagle river I would really really like to hunt with a beagle for hare but buying a beagle is not in the cards. I will pay for gas to the hunting location, food whatever I just would like to see a rabbit dog in action thanks.

2 problems I see you running into.
    Problem 1. Hare numbers are low this year.
    2. Amount of snow and the beagle/beagles keeping up

you could you tube it.. Im sure someone has posted a video of their beagle chasing bunnies.. as for the low numbers.. Hmmm, ok...
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Here is a blog by Monica Bradbury, perhaps you could contact Monica and Matt Bradbury to find an opportunity. I attached the blog and a you tube. Good luck.

http://www.guns.com/2011/05/10/where-cotton-is-still-king-hunting-snowshoe-hares-on-alaskas-rabbit-slough/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx2MVNA03so

Quote Originally Posted by labhunt907 View Post
    I live in eagle river I would really really like to hunt with a beagle for hare but buying a beagle is not in the cards. I will pay for gas to the hunting location, food whatever I just would like to see a rabbit dog in action thanks.
    Send me a pm with your phone number. Next time I go out with my beagle I'll try to give you a holler.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    2 problems I see you running into.
    Problem 1. Hare numbers are low this year.
    2. Amount of snow and the beagle/beagles keeping up
    Hare numbers are definitely down. More reason to own a beagle IMO. The amount of snow isn't really too bad yet. The amount of snow last year was definitely a challenge. When the snow is only 1-2 feet deep, my beagle can still get around alright. She mostly just runs the bunny trails. If the snow is hard packed she is light enough she can run on the top of it.

went out around the end of Nov, My son and I along with a friend shot 98 hares in 4 hours.. we didnt have a dog we just wandered around in cirlces. the numbers did seem to be down though from last year..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    went out around the end of Nov, My son and I along with a friend shot 98 hares in 4 hours.. we didnt have a dog we just wandered around in cirlces. the numbers did seem to be down though from last year..
    Yeah, I agree that a beagle is not necessary, but it certainly can be more fun and productive IMO. Last year while I was cleaning about a half dozen rabbits I just shot, my beagle was running more rabbits right by me and so just I kept shooting and piling them up. When your hunting in a real productive area, it is not necessary to walk around in circles. You can just sit in one spot and let the dog(s) do the work for you. But in reality I just love to watch her work. It is amazing how good there noses work. And its a blast when you got a dog running one right to you and you can just sit there and watch it come right to you. I've had them run five feet away from me before they see me and turn.

I grew up in Iowa hunting cottontails with beagles and it is so cool to hear them when they get excited on a trail. I also lived in South Carolina for several years and I hunted a couple of times with a group that used beagles to run deer instead of rabbit which is legal to do down there. They were better than deer hounds or coon hounds as they were slow enough that the deer didn't over heat when being pushed by the smaller dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Cleaning 98 hares doesn't sound very fun. Good eating though.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

You can take my Beagle if ya want. You won't have to worry about cleaning a bunch of bunnies, she won't wear ya out either. She will mostly just walk around before she gets excited and then take a break. The one thing she is really good at is calling in coyotes. Get her going on a rabbit scent (baying but not moving much) and the predators come a running. Thats about the time I stopped taking her on walks with a gun. The kids would hang me if I had to explain that one... But if you take her you can explain it not me!
    Be sure to take food snacks and a real comfy bed. That is her only requirements...

She goes by "Tiffany" or "Want a treat". The latter works the best
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I'm thinking about going bunny hunting tomorrow with my rabbit dog but I'm up here in Fairbanks. If you want to make the trip up here that's up to you!!! Anyone's welcome to come.

Planning on going on Standard Creek Rd. About 6 to 8 miles down, any trappers want to give me the low down where I should not run my dog in that part of road? Haven't had any problems running bunnies on the sleddog trails there in the past but figure I ask to keep dog safe.