Thread: CLASS III Firearms & Class III Regulated Parts Questions.

Default CLASS III Firearms & Class III Regulated Parts Questions.

Being winter and things are slow. I notice I am not as knowledgeable as I would like about CLASS III regulations. I Request that if you don't know the answer to questions, that you not guess, or voice your opinion about your God given rights. Lets just ask CLASS III questions.

OK, My first question is: I own a AR-15 "PISTOL ONLY" Lower. I have a 10.5" upper and a 12.5" upper.........my question is can I legally put an upper longer than 16" upper on this lower, say a 24" upper.........????

Next Question: Yes, I know it is illegal to but a butt stock on this firearm as it would become a SBR. Question can I slide a totally NOT attached in anyway piece of 1.5" ABS tubing over the buffer tube while shooting. Note: if firearm is held buy the muzzle the tube would fall off, it would NOT be attached, not even by friction.

I'll have more questions.

First question, yes you can put a longer barrel on a handgun if you like.

Next, detached stock? Depends on how the LE agency, plaintiff attorney, and judge decide to apply the definition. I donít think what you describe defies the letter of the law but draw the wrong bunch after you and they may very well show it defies the spirit of the law. Thus costing you thousands to fight your way out from under it. Iíd say not worth it, ether get an SBR tax stamp or a legal rifle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Pretty much what he said. Put whatever length barrel you want on it. The tube, even though not "attached", could possibly be construed as a"stock". Lawyers are expensive. Tax stamps are cheap.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

What makes an AR-15 a legal Pistol........??? Does the style and shape of the buffer tube make it a pistol, does the words "Pistol ONLY" engraved on the receiver make it a pistol, does the 4473 make it a pistol........????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What makes an AR-15 a legal Pistol........??? Does the style and shape of the buffer tube make it a pistol, does the words "Pistol ONLY" engraved on the receiver make it a pistol, does the 4473 make it a pistol........????
    It is a pistol if it is built as such. The moment a stock it attached, it is FOREVER a rifle legally. Stripped lowers are checked as "other" on the 4473. The only time it would automatically be a pistol is if you bought a prebuilt pistol lower.

What most folks do is either use a pistol buffer tube (no way to attach a stock) or regular tube but modify it so there is no way to put a stock on it. Some guys wrap with paracord and coat with fiberglass resin, etc, whatever.

As for the OP's question, you can attach any barrel size to a pistol and not worry about it becoming something else SO LONG AS you DO NOT attach any method of vertical grip to the handguards. There are differing reports from the ATF that a magpul AFG is acceptable, but your mileage my vary, and I'd definitely want a copy of a tech branch letter clarifying it, just in case.

As for the tube, I would not recommend it. The reason they can be classified as pistols (even with the buffer tube) is there is no method to easily rest it on your shoulder. Your idea is in a very grey area that I would stay away from.

Thank You..............Next question, I own two uppers that are shorter than 16" I also own one pistol lower. If I sold my pistol lower, is there any issue with my still owning the 10" and 12.5" uppers, along with several AR-15 rifles.

I don't believe it would be a problem having the lowers, BUT it could be viewed as "intent" to construct an NFA item.... So...Probably best to ditch them to stay on an even keel with the Feds.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I don't believe it would be a problem having the lowers, BUT it could be viewed as "intent" to construct an NFA item.... So...Probably best to ditch them to stay on an even keel with the Feds.
    +1

Owning the pistol lower with spare uppers is ok. Most people are advised to keep the pistol uppers separate from the rest of the AR rifles as a "just in case" thing though.

No pistol lower + short uppers could easily be construed as constructive intent. I'd sell the uppers at the same time or preferably before the pistol lower if you can't sell it as a whole.