Thread: Kasilof Steelhead this weekend

Default Kasilof Steelhead this weekend

I'm Heading down to Crooked creek campground on the Kasilof for steelhead this weekend. I'll be fishing all day Sunday and probobly Sat and Mon as well. Wondered if anyone has been hooking up or heard of any success?

Thanks, KUB AIR

i asked around last weekend in soldotna and the ken's ak tackle employees said that they heard of people just starting to hook a few in the last couple days... that was a week ago now, so you might hit it just right.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Spoke with a friend that just got back today. They did OK on the Steelhead, but said they were all holdovers from the fall and did not think there was a spring run in there. Kinda smallesh too. They fished the Kasilof.

Default Good info

Thanks. I'll let everyone know how I do on Mon night.

Kub any luck?

i talked to a group of 6 guys that fished crooked creek campground on saturday... they caught 1 steelhead between the 6 of them and saw no others landed. they said there were about 10 other people fishing. doesn't sound real hot.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default wasn't in the cards.

My girlfriend and I fished from 8AM to 7PM STRAIGHT!! I threw everything I had at them (eggs, egg sucking leaches, beads above leaches, even flesh flies). Nothing. I don't even know if I even had a bite or if it was the bottom. Early (8am) there was a guy that was catching them. He had a spey rod and he left at 11 or 12 with no less than 5 caught and released. One other guy caught 2 from sun up to 2pm. I asked around and it seems that the reason I didn't do as well (skill, of course not being an option) was weight. These fish seemed to be eating anyhting you put in front of them. I needed sinking line and sone sinking leader/tippet. I think my presentation was off. It's been all winter! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
    Then, get this! I was napping on the beach for an hour or so (it was sunny and warm the whole day) about 3pm when these three kids walked in and threw a line right where I had been fishing all morning. Wouldn't you know it, first cast, he threw a muddler minnow in as soon as that fly touched the water, he had a nice bright 20" steelhead. I helped him net it and take a picture of him. Then I almost beat him with it!
    I was happy to be on the river on my birthday!