Thread: Speaking of sinew...

Default Speaking of sinew...

Can't believe they're asking $60-$70 for a pair for diamondback skins now. They used to be $40 not long ago. I think its time I learn to paint. Anyone ever paint over sinew? Latex maybe with a water base poly to protect it? Hate to introduce moisture in a bow but I guess if I let it dry for a while it shouldn't hurt. Anybody have any cool ideas or patterns? Maybe some small bear tracks wandering down the limbs? A pair of long skinny Raven beaks? Oh, the possibilities...

U might chat with mike yancey on this one. I don't think there's anything in the tbb or Jim hams book on it. There was a guy that did some stunning work on rawhide. I'll try and recall his name. The bow was in pa mag years back.

I built a sinew backed and strung Yupik recurve bow for the Samuel Fox Museum out in Dillingham many years ago. I researched heavily to build it true and right, but as I remember, the Yupiit used seal oil to coat the sinew to make it waterproof. I didn't do that on my replica, but I'm betting another type of thick, drying type oil would have similar results.

Sorry I missed the sealer. Jay massed was coined with the Massey finish. Depending on your intent I would find his books and read them and his accounts on it (Devon two ton and acetone)

You could paint with anything over the top of it I'd think, and than seal it with a scuff coat of a water based.

Hey TB, Boud is the dude I was telling you about that we are goina go make bows with later this winter if you bother to come down south. (Boud heads up, lol)

I hope I can man it would be fun! Have sinew hide glue skins and that very well seasoned scifres Osage stave!

Getn ready to order glass and lams for dads lb. gonna build with the local dude I was talking about.

Any more on the Schultz style bbo?

In the middle of remodeling the basement so my garage is full of crap but I still have a little room for building bows. I'm laying sinew on a hedge bow this weekend. (in-between hanging drywall ) I'm glad to have yall over to make dust. Don't forget the deal Steve. I'd like to learn how to make one of those ffffibbb...ffffibbberrrggl....fiberglass bows.

No hurries boud. I've known the big hippy for years and I'm still waiting on my glass bow lesson. Shared a tent even hah!

I work a pretty messed up sched so plannings been tough! That and I can't convince him to put in a dust collector so we can build yr round. That leaves the hole 3 days of spring to build when we're trying to dance with bears .

I've had johns stave for awhile now it should be well seasoned. Along with a hickory stave aged longer yet. And a pile of Osage slats. Like the hippy, I am hoping to build a Schultz style bbo . I have a buddy under Charlie lambs tutledge with on he really likes.

Charlie built a sweet bow. Steve Childers from Cooter Mo is a friend of mine. He went to Schultz' school and builds the all bamboos. Not much to it. I have a lam grinder and a bunch of slats in hopes to build a few. Just need to figure out the thickness for the lams and tapers. The rest is just like a BBO.

Ouh, ouh, Boud has a lam grinder!

...and a dust collector. Ho Ho Ho....That grinder makes some dust!

IMG00019-20121229-1654.jpg First layer. Please don't crack. Please don't crack...

saaaweeet!! I'd like to learn to build the all boo if nothing else than for nostalgia's sake....if I dont have enough hobbies already LOL! Tried to get Van cornered, that failed. sent money off to Vinson M. to have him video a bow build class...another failed attempt. Maybe thats my sign not to build the blasted things and spend more time shooting them lol.

I picked up one of the miller's videos, more of a presentation on building via the Schulz method, good stuff!

Tradionally, at least up this way North, fish skin, predator intestins of Wolf, Bears, Seals, Whales, Walrus and oiled canvas were used to protect the sinew on such Bows.
    Wooden backed Otter skins were a popular and waterproof bow case/quiver.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....