Thread: Holiday handloading

Default Holiday handloading

I'm sure I wasn't the only one yesterday handloading on Christmas. My son and I got out the Dillon and cranked out 250 rounds of 223 varminator. My single-stage press is my go-to for handloading, but I'll use the progressive for 45ACP, 10MM, and 223. We load so many rounds each time that I end up using the Dillon only occasionally, which means that I always have to dig out the manual and remind myself how to use that amazing contraption. Once I remind myself how to use it and get it set-up, it goes through components faster than a hungry line-backer in a buffet line.

Every time I read a post like this it makes me want to try and sneak one of those beautiful blue contraptions past the wife... It would look awful nice on my bench!! 45, 10mm, 308, 6.8SPC... I could see a few rounds that I would produce in lots of 200 or more

Back when I used to do a lot of cowboy action shooting, I could load 650 rounds of 44/40 in about an hour. I would preload the primers, and get things put out on the bench and go to it. I only have 3 of the blue machines, when I change caliber, I just move to a different machine.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Every time I read a post like this it makes me want to try and sneak one of those beautiful blue contraptions past the wife... It would look awful nice on my bench!! 45, 10mm, 308, 6.8SPC... I could see a few rounds that I would produce in lots of 200 or more
    I'd take a picture LuJon, but that's just wrong...

I love my blue babe--and it's just a little 550b. I am teetering at adding a second one just to have one for large primers and one for small. I have tool heads and powder set up for each caliber and it stays on large primer most all the time so makes for quick change over. Use my single just for rifle work. If 556 ammo goes up or stays hard to find, I'll have to add that to my "roll-yer-own" list, and will seal the deal on a 2nd 550.

If I had more bench space, it would be a no brainer for sure--I'd have four of them.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I love my 550B too. 19 tool heads set up with dies adjusted for each rifle or hand gun I'm currently loading for myself, friends and family. The ease of use and precision it affords is simply awesome. I'm thinking about the new 550 basic for rifles so I can leave the current 550 in a progressive state for .380, 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm and .45ACP use. As most know the basic is the frame without the priming and powder drop function. It still uses the tool heads for quick setup. You can manually dump powder in station two then seat bullets in station three. Upgrading to fully progressive is as simple as adding the options at a later date.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...0_Basic_Loader