Thread: Rod build question

Default Rod build question

I am a first time fly rod builder. I think I have figured out the wraps. But my guides are not aligned. The rod is 10ft. Any tricks for getting all 11 guides straight?

Sounds as though you have it wrapped, but not yet finished? Hope so, because once the finish is on, you aren't going to be doing any guide alinement.

Here's my stunt for alignment:

Put a reel on the rod and hold it in your hand in a normal fishing position with the guides on bottom. Look at the guides from the back side and eyeball the blank to see if the blanks splits the first guide in half as you look at it. If not, continue to hold the rod in position and wiggle the guide in the direction it needs to move. Small moves are better than big.

Look way out at the tip and make sure the tip guide is aligned the same way. Now go back and align each of the guides between.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    I am a first time fly rod builder. I think I have figured out the wraps. But my guides are not aligned. The rod is 10ft. Any tricks for getting all 11 guides straight?
    I've always placed the guides usingg very small pieces of masking tape, one piece on eachh guide foot. Relocate any of the guides as required. Wrap one guide foot at a time, leaving all other guides in place with the tape.

Thanks for the pointers. I have not done the finish yet. I did use the masking tape. I think I just got too focused on the wraps individually and overlooked the big picture. Live and learn. Thanks again.

if you have a white / light background it will make the guides stand out even more , do your aligment a couple of times over a few day's [ 2 or 3 ]
    it will help out even more , it seems to me when I do it the guides seam to move over night a little don't know why but they do move I think,
    or my old eye's get tired some or better as I use them more don't know why but they do move , an wait one day after you are happy with the guides
    before you start to put the FLEX COAT on

MY 2 CTS SID

Hi Creek,
    Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. A few tips first do it with a white background, second would be to avoid the urge of looking down through the center of the guides. It works really good if you hold the fly rod with the guides on the bottom, like you would hold it when your fishing it. Then make sure there is an equal amount of guide frame on the left and right side of the rod. The final thing is to get it to your finishing stand ASAP. Make sure you don't bump, wiggle, fold, spindle, or mutilate the rod in any fashion. If you do, double check the guide alighnment.

Kirk

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I watched a youtube video this morning that has a decent lesson on this. The series is how to build your first flyrod by flyrodfanatic and I think you want part twelve for the guide adjustment.

Eyeball is your best bet, as has been said, along with light background and such. I however look at mine from above and that way I can see how the feet themselves align with the blank. You can have the guide appear aligned, but the feet are slightly off. I also prefer four piece rods and it may go without saying, but only look at one section at a time. If you're trying to line up the whole rod, you'll go insane.

And you can tweak a guide under the thread before the epoxy is on. And to that, I suggest not killing yourself over getting it straight with only one foot wrapped. Get it close of course, so you don't have to really swing it with both wraps, but just wrapping the second side could likely throw off any minute adjustments you just went cross eyed trying to get perfect.