Thread: What A Wonderful Time Of The Year :)

Default What A Wonderful Time Of The Year :)

I was given this rig for Christmas last Thursday so I could do a quick load work up and hunt with it before this season is over down here. The the rig is an entry level rifle and scope a Marlin XL7 30-06 and the scope is a Redfield 4-12x40m. The rig weighs 7.9 pounds. Will be interesting later this spring to ring it out finding what it likes and does not like.

I found a hunting load for now since I have no more time to work with any more loads before the hunt with my grandson this coming week end here in South Mississippi and then the special hunt I have in south Louisiana Jan 6th - 9th. I loaded up 24 rounds of the following load for my final sight in and also to do the two deer hunts.

The load is 150gr TTSX, in front of 60grs RL-17, using Rem brass and Rem 9 1/2M primiers, moving on average 3009fps with a group size of .912".
    I felt this was pretty good for only having 30 rounds through the rifle right now. After 200 rounds it should really be humming. My sight-in is 1.5" high at 100yds and zero is 200yds and is -6.8'" low at 300yds and with this load I have the added benefit of matching my Accu-Trac on my 4-12X40mm Redfield Revolution scope which I will verify this coming Thursday morning when it will be 43 degrees, no rain and a 5 mph ENE wind, which will hit me from my back at the bench blowing down range.

I will do more load work after my hunt in January, because of my work schedule and Christmas, plus the New Year will keep me from doing anything but my final sight in this Thursday to make sure I am where I want to be at 100yds and for my Accu-Trac settings.

group .912", 3009fps average
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Lucky dog...!!!....lol

Merry Christmas....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Merry Christmas to you also and I can't wait to take it hunting and then after hunting season see what this entry level rifle and scope can really do.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Doesn't matter if it is an inexpensive rig with those groups. I call that meat-in-the-freezer.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman, I weighed three boxes of 180gr SS Nork Fork bullets and the extreme spread was 180.0 - 180.2grs. It broke down percentage wise as follows.

180.0 = 57%

180.1 - 40%

180.2 - 3%

Now that is some tight manufacturing tolerances. I will see how they shoot when I do load work for my 30-06.

I have a friend who does not like the North Fork because it cost so much and they do not declare the bullet BC. I always loved turning over rocks in a clear stream in Middle Tenn when I was teenager. Just wanted to see if anything was under the rock, it might be exciting stuff or something valuable. I like going up the next ridge, over the next hill and through the next canyon just to see what is on the other side. You all know I try many bullets, and many load chain combinations just to make sure I don't miss a gym that would work in a certain rifle that I am doing load work for at the moment.

In turning over the rocks I have found many an accurate load in my life time and they sure have paid off in the field. I am not crazy either about he North Fork bullet price nor the fact they do not declare their bullet BC. Now that said, when I have been able to get them to shoot in certain rifles, they are usually very accurate bullets and thier terminal effectiveness is with the best out there. I think of it this - say I get it 1/2" or under and moving at 2800fps or better out of a 22 inch barrel 06, then I have the following as far as performance is concerned."

180gr SS .308 North Fork

I would estimate the BC to be around .390 (pure guessing, could be more or less). Here it is up next to a Sierra 180gr Spitzer with a .407 BC.

It sure is a consistent weight and there must be a lot of attention to quality control since they cost so much. I know some would not use the bullet because of cost or lack of BC information. I can't wait to try it in my 06 after my hunt in January. I will use my 30-06 for normal hunting ranges so I am not worried about the BC nor the cost since I have three boxes from past use. Just thought it was very interesting how consistent the bullets were in weight.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS