Thread: 10ft 6wt Batson blanks fly rod build

Default 10ft 6wt Batson blanks fly rod build

First time rod builder. Last year I glued and shaped the cork handle. Over holidays I hope to get the wraps made and finish coat. Plan to use this rod for lakes from canoe or float tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4109.jpg   IMG_4108.jpg  

I hope yu pan to pack your wraps tighter, can see a lot of space in the windings it will come out a lot better if you pack your windings tighter you did pick a good color for your wraps

can't wait to see the finished product. I am waiting on a quote from Anglershabitat.com for a 7wt Sage TCX spey rod. I plan on finishing that by spring but who knows.

I use a 9' 6" and an 11ft rod in the drift boat for longer drifts and better control but what is the advantage of using a 10ft rod from a canoe or float tube? Just curious!

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    ...but what is the advantage of using a 10ft rod from a canoe or float tube? Just curious!
    Lotta guys drop their backcasts way back, hitting the water in the best of circumstances when wading or standing in a drift boat. Sit them on their hiney in a canoe or half that high in float tube, and they turn into worldclass water slappers that can't cast half as far as usual. A little extra length in the rod will help that. Gives them time to figure out they can't drop their backcasts so far back.