Thread: Scent (Mink,Marten)

Default Scent (Mink,Marten)

I was wondering if scent is a big deal when trying to trap Mink and Marten. Also if Mink would be attracted to the skunky smell of Magnum Marten lure? Also any advice on how to make sets for these two fur bearers using leg holds would be greatly appreciated.

Mink are under the ice and a skunky lure will not catch them. you will have to cut a hole through the ice along the edge of the bank or find a crack in the ice that allows you access to the underworld where there is a pocket of air between the ice and water/ bank. Most of the mink trappers I've known use the funnel trap but I imagine a coniber could be used as well. Marten can be caught with a foothold on the standard leaning pole set, some use a skunky lure and some just use bait and some use both.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

here's two funnel traps I made, for only mink I would use two funnels one on each end but I use these for blackfish as well. If you use one with just one funnel point the funnel end downstream and place a stick over top so they dive into the funnel. These will also work for muskrat too......Attachment 66733
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

The creek i'm trapping is on Barnof Island in southeast and is actually not too frozen right now i see a lot of mink sign running the banks but from what I've heard mink don't have defined routes of travel like something you could set a blind set on so my sets are cubby style in the many holes under the type of exposed tree roots you commonly see here in southeast. All i have for lure is Magnum Marten but i was hoping it might spark the interest of a passing mink as well. The funnel idea looks good but at the moment all i have to work with is all i got which is 12 #1LS some Magnum Marten lure, a bag of Ptarmigan/Grouse wings and feathers, and a lil help from all you out there! Wish me luck!

sorry thought you were in the Fairbanks area because that is where your location says, whole different ballgame down there. Mink will run edges of creeks so look for where a sandbar or gravel meets a cut bank and forces them into the water and put your trap right there where they enter the water. cubbies also work well I would put just the feathers in the back if thats all you got but fish works well too if you can get some scraps, keep the cubbies along their route of travel and natural cubbies are even better. Blind sets are great for mink and if you can see their tracks you should be able to find spots that force them through a small spot or you can make them too. #1's are better in drowning situations but if you check them daily you should be ok. If there's any beaver lodges around mink will always be around and you can make a cubby right on the outside of the lodge or look for nooks and crannies that they are going in and out of.

I'v caught plenty of mink on skunky lures and the feathers will only add to that. If things are thawed enough that you can make a hole or find an existing one along the bank bait it with the feathers and guts from those patarmigan and use the lure place your foothold in the entrance . Once you get one mink use the glands from it as lure for the next ones. If things do freeze up then you can chase them as described by thunderchicken. If you get the chance to add some small conis to your arsenal like 110s or 120s they are great mink catcher. Mink will run defined routes hteir trails without snow are just much harder to see do to their size. thunderchickens idea of setting where the mink are forced along structure such as a cut bank works well along with cubbies. Mink aren't a big mystery and are relatively easy to catch no more so than marten IMO. Fresh bait and fish of any kind that is available locally is the best bait for them just make sure you don't use anything but head,guts and bones unless it is a non game fish like sucker or whitefish.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Any of you guys ever tried to use the duck scents used for training dogs to retrieve ducks? I'll be setting my first martin traps on Admiralty starting tomorrow hopefully weather permitting, but since I don't have any martin scent lures, I figured I'd use my duck scent on some old deer hide leftover from earlier in the month. Think it will work?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I think it is certainly worth a try and I know some that use duck ( minus breast etc. ) for bait with good success so in theory it should work

Thanks for the Advice Thunder Chicken!

Pocket sets are a go to for open water mink with a 1-1.5 for weight as a drowning set as a staple . Find a pocket in the bank (or make one) set the trap at the entrance underwater 1-2"es and bait it. You've got loads of fish carcasses! You on Indian ? Spent a bunch of days chasing deer up that river. Anyways there's loads of mink info out there. Probably the most written about critter in the trapping world. Let some of those fish scraps get a bite rip. save the mm for marten!

Fun country! Used to charter fish there, miss it!

Just got back from my trip and for what it's worth, dog training duck scents did not seem to work very well. I sprinked a bunch of it on the bait and some on the ground around the trap. Next morning, I saw tracks going around the whole setup and no critters in the trap. I then moved the trap location and setup and just used a piece of deer hide and successfully caught my very first two Marten and and Mink.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life