Thread: PRO-Gun letters to Representatives

Default PRO-Gun letters to Representatives

Has anyone written letters to their elected officials concerning the threats of weapons bans? I say weapons, because the only "assault" is on the law abiding citizens. I digress.

If you have a letter or 'template' others can copy and send their reps, please post them. If they have an avalanche of letters that OPPOSE the ban, maybe they'll rethink their position and hopefully remind them who they work for.

Just a thought.
    -Grizz
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?” --Jack Handy

I expect the NRA will provide me a form letter via email with links to my reps. If they don't, then I will be contacting them (my reps). We have 2 Dem Senators and 1 Rep Congressman. To the best of my knowledge, none have ever voted anti-gun. They know where their bread is buttered in Montana. Many Montana Dems are pro gun.

GOA has already sent out a couple through their “action center” they are all over it as usual. GOA tends to like to keep the politicians mail boxed full of pro gun letters and their form letters tend to better express what I want said also. I expect to get some stuff from NRA also but they are much slower and less prolific about taking grass roots action than GOA, NRA works more through direct lobbying. Good idea to be a member of both as and apply all the pressure we can.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Has anyone written letters to their elected officials concerning the threats of weapons bans? I say weapons, because the only "assault" is on the law abiding citizens. I digress.
    I do not have a form letter or template. I believe letters in our own words get more attention anyway. I have contacted all three of our federal officials and urge you to do the same. These links will let you email them.

Lisa Murkowski http://www.murkowski.senate.gov/publ...fm?p=EMailLisa

Mark Begich http://www.begich.senate.gov/public/...p=EmailSenator

Don Young http://donyoung.house.gov/contact/

In addition to these please have a look at this petition. With 25,000 signatures in 30 days the Whitehouse will issue a response. There are several petitions at this web site that I found very interesting. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...acity/bjlkvNSf

Merry Christmas!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Good idea to be a member of both as and apply all the pressure we can.
    Agreed....

I agree letters in our own words are better, I do it both ways, let them know I stand with others as well as I can think for myself.

I also signed three petitions to the White House, I have received two responses from petitions that made 25,000. Seems a complete waste of time, falls totally on deaf ears there. The replies were identical consisting of the same video Obama had already made public as a press release on the subject. Seemed waste of effort.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I took a course on political lobbying and grass roots campaigning, and I used it in the American Government classes that I taught. I have to agree with a couple other sentiments here: don't use NRA's form letters; use your own words. Elected officials see form letters as just that-the opinion of one lobbying group, not the opinion of constituents. Some general tips/rules for a successful letter to or visit with your elected representative that I gleaned from that class:

1. Brevity. (Something that I'm not good at) Your elected officials rarely directly read your letters themselves; they have staff for that. Be brief and to the point. Use a topic sentence in your first paragraph that summarizes the point of your letter and/or your position on the issue. For example: "I'm writing to you to ask/encourage you to oppose/support such and such law. (If there is already a bill in the works, cite the SB or HB number.) Our elected officials are busy and if they see a 3 page email they will likely delete it instantly. (Some of my posts here are a perfect example of that.)

2. Supporting statements. Contrary to popular belief, the job of any political activist or lobbyist is to do research and homework for the elected official and his or her staff. Elected representatives simply don't have the time to be fully informed on anything without the help of lobbyist. We have all been writing for days in the other thread about our beliefs and stance on this issue. Writing makes a man exact. Use those exercises to concisely list why your Congressperson should support or oppose a particular bill. Cite credible references for your facts and arguments. Don't use bumper sticker quotes; they've heard it all before.

3. Be cordial and thank your representative for their time and service. You probably won't be well-served by throwing about a bunch of derogatory terms such as "gun nuts" "mental cases" "left wing whackos" etc. Save that sort of vitriol for the online forums. Remember that you writing a professional letter to a professional person.

4. Target your emails/letters/phone calls etc. I've already looked, and none of Alaska's representatives are on any Congressional committee that could influence this issue either way. However, you are not limited to writing ONLY to Alaska's representatives. Find out who sits on the Senate and House Judiciary committees. Write to the chairperson and all of the members on that committee(s). ANY firearms law will have to go through those committees before they are presented to the full House or Senate for open debate. MANY bills die in committee and never see the light of day on the Senate/House floor.

Good luck.

Just to add some more to the already EXCELLENT ideas here. I manage several venues for both professional and personal reasons and if there is one thing anyone doesn't like is having a problem dropped in their lap. One of my personal endeavours is to provide solutions...not problems. i.e. as a manager I want to hear what the problem is and what you think we could do to rectify it. The NRA identified that our schools aren't safe. Their immediate solution is to post trained security personnel at schools and then work on something more permanent. Should you write to your elected officials let them know what you believe is the right course of action for a solution.

I contacted ALL of mine (federal and state) the other night, including the president.

I prefer sending my own statement, which I copy and paste to each of them. My theme was supporting well-trained and armed law enforcement officers in all schools, essentially reiterating what the NRA endorsed, and I couldn't help making the point that the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun (and in my letter to the president I added..."it just makes common sense"...because he seems to like that expression).

I find the following link helpful:

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

GREAT Information here ! I especially agree with the "write in your own words" part - to take it even further, I tend to get wordy and lengthy but when I read and re-read what I've written I often find myself self editing - when an aid or lobbyist is reading countless letters, succinct and to the point will get you in their memory much more effectively

Yes. I have written and called our entire delegation. I am asking them to not only oppose impending gun control legislation but asking them to demonstrate leadership on the issue with their parties (cough cough Blue Dog Democrat Cough Cough). Our Senators may not be on any important committees for the issue but their votes will be key: Sen Begich has a "D" after his name and Sen Murkowski seems to be wishy washy on the issue based on her public statements thus far.

I have also written the governor and my state senators and reps, asking them to allow people with Alaska CWPs to carry sidearms in schools. Utah has allowed this for 12 years with ZERO accidents or problems. I have also asked them to revise MIsconduct Involving Weapons 4 to allow school employees to carry "defensive weapons" on school property; a defensive weapon is something like a taser. Currently it is a Class A misdemeanor. Finally, I've asked them to revise the law to allow retired LEOs carrying under LEOSA to carry on school grounds.

There is a chance to make positive progress in Alaska on this issue. Furthermore it is necessary to get our elected leaders at the state level engaged on the issue so that if any federal BS comes down the pike they can consider nullification to some degree, just like several states have nullified federal drug laws recently.

Finally, I joined Second Amendment Foundation ($25), Gun Owners of America ($20), and sent a check to NRA-ILA.

We are entering a serious fight for our 2A rights.

I guess folks missed it... within a couple days of the CT murderer, Senator Begich was already on the air voicing his PRO-GUN position and denouncing the liberal media calls for gun control. Lisa and Don are both squarely in the pro-gun corner. As with most national politics, it is not our state's delegates that should be the target of our lobbing pressure.

Speaking of lobby... yes, the NRA and GOA act as lobby organizations, as frequently suggested by the lefties. However, they are not a lobby of the "gun manufacturers" as knuckleheads like Piers Morgan claim. They are lobbies for US, the gun owners. No different than the AARP or the ACLU, they represent a group of private citizens. In addition to educating folks about the fallacy of all the claims of the Brady bunch, we need to stand up for our gun owner's Unions, which are the NRA and the GOA.

On this issue, at this time, it is imperative that we think nationally, not locally. Put your crosshairs on liberal anti-gun targets such as CA, IL, NY, CT, NJ, and similar gun ban states.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!