Thread: Reading arrow specs???

Default Reading arrow specs???

Quick question. I'm shooting Easton Aluminum with a 400 spine. I'd like to switch over too carbon, will the spine read the same on carbons as aluminum? Are they the same between manufacturers? Say brand x 340 spine is same as anyone's 340 spine?

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Quick question. I'm shooting Easton Aluminum with a 400 spine. I'd like to switch over too carbon, will the spine read the same on carbons as aluminum? Are they the same between manufacturers? Say brand x 340 spine is same as anyone's 340 spine?
    Sine is spline but carbons tend to serve a wider range. What aluminums are you shooting
    Or better yet what draw length and weight are you shooting and how heavy of a point

recurve, 55lbs, 100gr points, 28" draw

im shooting a full carbon 400gn spine. also out of a 55lb recurve. i will post a link to the arrows that will be my next set for sure. they are made by byron ferguson. he shoots them into a cinder block with a 70 lb recurve with no damage. http://byronferguson.globaloutfitter...e.asp?WGPID=68 i would check them out. also their is a guy at the local sportsmans in anchorage that can help you with some custom stuff. just watch shooting arrows that have been out side in your truck over night... i shot one of my carbons in to my block and it exploded, was inside for 5 hrs before i started shooting. well good luck and happy shooting.

mark

I guess what I'm asking is, is that scale the standard across the board?

Sorry just noticed the typos in my first post. Yes spine is spine. Spine is a measurement of the deflection of an arrow shaft when a weight is placed or hung in the middle of the shaft while the ends are supported.. . The difference is as I said earlier some arrows will cover a greater range of draw weights. The. In the case of aluminum you can get arrows with thicker or thinner walls ect... The best thing to be safe is consult the chart of the arrow manufacture you plan on using...

And with that said you can also make slight changes in spine with a simple point weight change or shortening of the shaft...

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Brand X 340 spine is the same as any other spine however other brands may not fly the same as brand X. 400 is the deflection of your shaft like Bear said. You're usually safe to pick another 400 spine but you still may need a longer or shorter shaft or change the point weight to get the same flight. Different materials flex and recover from the paradox differently. Aluminum recovers faster than wood and carbon faster than aluminum. Same goes for wood shafts. A 70 pound hickory shaft will recover slower than a Douglas fir or cedar shaft. If a 30" 70 pound bare hickory shaft shoots straight from my bow then I know from experience that a 70 pound 30" Douglas fir shaft will be too stiff out of the same bow. I'll need a longer shaft, heavier point or a lower poundage shaft.