Thread: Weasel boxes in the deep snow and above treeline

Default Weasel boxes in the deep snow and above treeline

So I found a spot that is covered in weasel tracks high above tree line. Or at least nothing but willows and alders anyway. I wanted to set out some weasel boxes with my boys for some fun. But I have only tried putting weasel boxes underneath trees that are sheltered from the snow and in culverts where the boxes won't get buried by the deep snow. I could not locate any culverts near the location with all the weasel sign. Does anyone have any ideas on how to properly place a weasel box high in the alpine areas that are above the treeline without getting the boxes completely buried?

3/4" Leaning pole on anything solid that will lift your set off the ground up out of the snow. Snow doesn't collect as bad on narrow poles like that either. You can have your boxes with holes pre drilled in them to wire them perfectly centered on the pole. You can even lean the poles into thicker willows or against rock faces. I'd take it one step farther and say precut/wire you'd sticks and boxes before you even get there. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    3/4" Leaning pole on anything solid that will lift your set off the ground up out of the snow. Snow doesn't collect as bad on narrow poles like that either. You can have your boxes with holes pre drilled in them to wire them perfectly centered on the pole. You can even lean the poles into thicker willows or against rock faces. I'd take it one step farther and say precut/wire you'd sticks and boxes before you even get there. Good luck!
    Thanks Teacherman. Solid advice.