Thread: Nome Grizzly Bear last Sunday morning.

Default Nome Grizzly Bear last Sunday morning.

Hello there. Here we have the result from last Sunday mornings ride here in Unit 22, just north of Nome.

I went out by myself to see if I could help out the moose a bit and found this bear laying about 30 feet from his den.
    One shot from the .300 Weatherby Mark V with a 200 grain Nosler and I was soon skinning a bear.
    He's a nice male, nothing exceptional about his size but he does have an outstanding spring hide and since I was lucky enough to locate him before he started wandering his claws are quite long and sharp.
    His skull is 22", he has the length at almost 15 inches but the width is not there, being a bit over 7 inches. His hide squares 7' 2" and it's a nice one. Very pretty color.

Solo hunts are sometimes the best one's, my son was busy so I went alone and had a fine time.
    The sun was shining and the wind was calm, what more can you ask for.

Something like your bear would suit me just fine. Find his brother and feed him doughnuts till I get there in Sept

Default oops.

I guess this was supposed to go in the '07 Hunt gallery. Oops.

It's OK - having a thread about your hunt and then posting one or two pictures in the gallery as well is perfectly acceptable. Go ahead and throw those pics up in the gallery so that they'll be at the top of the page for people to enjoy all year. Congratulations! And yes, those are some awesome claws on that guy!

Default Congrats

Congratulations! That is definitely something to be proud of. Looks like a great hide, and **** those claws are long, very nice...

Default Nice Trophy

Thats a good bear. Thanks for sharing!!

Nice bear! I love the dark legs and how they contrast to the lighter coat. Congrats!

Thumbs up

congrats on a nice bear. great claws.

I want one...

Beautiful bear. Isnt the size pretty nice for that far North? Any idea how old he might be?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Nice!

Thanks for posting this- gotta love those spring bears. Nice long hair, long hunting days, warmer weather (usually), no bugs... Ahhh.... the front door of summer!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

nice hat and shades!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Solly............bears are regularly killed here that square over 8 ft, and a few at 9. Skulls of 26 and 27 also regularly show up.
    However, when you consider the number of moose this bear had left to kill in his life, the harvest of this bear was definately.............NICE!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Very nice!

Default bear

Young bear. Wonder if he had a chance to breed yet.

Default Goog Job!!

That's a great bear. You can't beat being close to home too.

Default Grizzly Bear size, age.

That bear's hide has a bit over a half foot on the average size for the typical Seward Peninsula Grizzly, most are 6 1/2 feet squared with 19-21 inch skulls. I'm talking about dead bears, that size being the most common size you hear of being killed.
    Like MT said the 8-9 foot bears are here, not in a great abundance though, those are the smart old, 12 to 25 year old males and the skulls on those bears are generally quite large. A quick check in the 12th edition of B&Cs Records of North American Big Game Records Book will confirm where the bulk of the most recent entries for Grizzly are coming from. The Seward Peninsula.

This bear is probably between adulthood and adolescent.
    He was missing three out of four eye teeth, his teeth show some abuse on the incisors and the molars were starting to be ground down some. The canines were very good though and showed no flattening or rubbing together.
    My guess was 6 to 8 years old, after sealing him and the comments made by ADF&G during sealing I bet he is around that age. I hope he never had a chance to breed, we've got enough bears, not enough bear hunters/killers and our moose need all the help they can get.

Age does play a large part in achieving the maximum potential body size, that's for sure, but genetics is the key to the large skulls here, no question about it. I have a skull out of an 8 year old male that was 7' 10" and is 25 6/16. I've got another skull from a 13 year old male that was 7'11" and is 24 1/16 and my skull from a 17 year old male that squared 8'10" is 26 1/16. I know of a bear that was hardly over seven foot though that has a skull of 25 5/16 B&C so they come in all sizes.
    All those bears were killed within 25 miles of each other.

This bear does have an above average quality hide. It is very well furred.

Last edited by Grizzlykiller; 05-07-2007 at 13:29.

GrizzlyKiller, do we see your name appear in the 25th edition B&C book?

The 25th awards period as well as the 12th edition of the Records of North American Big Game recognizes a pair of grizzly bear skulls I own.
    You may wonder why I'm listed as the owner and not the hunter. The first one was the end result of a near decade long quest for a big bear with my main partner. We both spent many years looking for a large grizzly and when the moment finally came, he was the shooter. I'd found the bear that day and while we didn't know it at the time, I had seen and filmed that bear breeding females twice years before he was killed.
    Naturally I'd told my partner about seeing that bear, we both wondered if it might still be alive and me more than him spent many hours dreaming about what it might be doing. It'd be great to be a tick on the shoulder of a big male grizzly to see how they spend their year.
    I can be a long winded typer so to make a long story short, in May 2001 I found a big bear. My partner was out of town when I first located him. 10 days later I found him again, this time my partner was there, he had a bear tag and he had a loaded .300 Weatherby.
    When we walked up to the bear and recognized it as the one I first filmed in 1992, it had some very recognizable facial markings, I about fell over. When my partner told me this was my bear, and gave me the hide and skull, I knew a guy would have look long and far to find a better hunting partner than I have. How many men do you know who would hand their partner a near nine foot grizzly with a 26 inch skull and grin like a little boy while doing it? He knew what that bear means to me and knows if he ever needs a kidney I'm there.
    The second one was the result of a partnership that developed over many years also. We'd both hunted hard for bears over the years and became good friends. The spring we got his bear had been a frustrating one for him and I offered to help him find one. We got him a good one and he offered the skull to me as a reminder of a great hunt and friendship. I accepted and told him I'd enter the skull as he being the hunter, me the owner, same as the first one.
    Bear hunting for me is not all about huge skulls and who killed the biggest bear, it's about great country and great friends and teaching my son the meager amount I've been able to learn.
    It's something worth doing.

Very nice bear Grizzlykiller.