Thread: how close to road is too close??

Default how close to road is too close??

Just curious how close to a borough road is to close to trap? I was running my dog up a dead end borough road today, not far from the little su river, got up towards the end & turned around, called for her & she didn't show up, called some more nothing, went looking where i last saw her & she was caught in a snare where someone had dumped some moose guts. i know there's several residences on the road & it gets used by others also. snare was within 50ft of roadway, am i over-reacting or is this a normal practice in the valley??

There are not any laws about this, so ethics of the person setting up is all that controls the situation.

Be prepared for all the folks that will tell you the Mat Su has a leash law and you can't let your dog run loose..blah blah blah.

There also are a few threads over the years about sets near trails or houses etc.

On the peninsula refuge you have to be a mile off of a road to trap....not sure about up north though

Supporting Member

No rule about setbacks and yes, fairly common along the road system to find traps and snares within 50 feet of the road during trapping season.

50 ft. might seem close.........but it also allowed you to easily find your dog. Unless the trapper is trespassing on private land, he is legal.
    Don't know if your borough has a leash law, most do. Good idea to keep the dog in sight as much as possible during trapping season. Even if the sets are further off the road.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!