Thread: more success today

Default more success today

more valley catch and release fun today (18 incher)
    "f/64 and be there"

this worked today
    "f/64 and be there"

here is the depth (look at those fishs)
    "f/64 and be there"

Very nice. Like the fish finder too.

Congrats! Nice catch. Deeper water, more oxygen?

Hmmm. Looks like you've got the catching part down...but you might want to work on your releasing skills. Flopping the fish on to the ice and letting him roll and around while your get your camera out is NOT proper catch and release technique. I know it doesn't make for the best photo op. but simply unhooking the fish while its STILL in the hole will ensure a better survival rate. AWESOME CATCH. Definitely bigger than any I've got this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    Congrats! Nice catch. Deeper water, more oxygen?
    Actually the opposite is true. In the winter time the deeper water usually holds less oxygen. Depends on the lake though. If it is a spring fed lake the bottom might have more oxygen. Usually during the winter, the only oxygen source into a lake is going to come from either an inlet that is not frozen, or from underwater plants near the shoreline that release oxygen through photosynthesis. I'm not really sure why certain species of fish like to hang out deeper during the winter. Arctic Char as well as Lake Trout like to hang out in the deeper holes. Perhaps it is more temperature related. A lake actually gets warmer near the bottom in the wintertime. It is the reverse of lake temps in the summer. Usually the bottom is right around 39-40 F (4 C). The top is close to 32 F (0 C). And it gets gradually warmer towards the bottom. In the summer the bottom is still 39-40 F (4 C), but the top of the lake is closer to the ambient temperature of the air 50-70 F (10-20 C).

That's really interesting, it makes you think... It's always hard to figure where the fish are, and it probably depends on more factors than most folks (myself included) ever consider.

Anyway, did alright today out on Sand lake, nothing to write home about, but had a good time. There was a little bit of overflow once I drilled my hole, but nothing too terrible. Felt good to get back out there after the holidays!