Thread: What do you do with non-reloadable brass?

Default What do you do with non-reloadable brass?

I have a bunch of old surplus berdan 30-06 brass. Just curious if there's anything to do other than throw it away. Does anyplace use this stuff, recycle the brass or have a way to knock out the old primer? I just hate the idea of throwing it away if there's a use for it somehow. It is brass, not steel, so it could be re-used.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Take it to the local recycle joint and get a few coins for it.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default reload...

I've reloaded berdan primed brass before, but it is hardly worthwhile since you can easily get boxed primed .30-06.

If you need .30-06 to reload, you might try trading it off to someone selling boxer primed brass for scrape.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I have a bunch of old surplus berdan 30-06 brass. Just curious if there's anything to do other than throw it away. Does anyplace use this stuff, recycle the brass or have a way to knock out the old primer? I just hate the idea of throwing it away if there's a use for it somehow. It is brass, not steel, so it could be re-used.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Berdan primers are available to reloaders and they can be reloaded. The process is a little different and harder than boxer primed ammunition, but it is doable. If you had a real hard-to-find or ancient military style round you needed to reload for, I'ld say go for it. BUT 30-06 is everywhere and you'll be money ahead to sell it for scrap and use the cash to buy reloading components or boxer primed ammo.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Loading with Berdan primers is possible, but the effort and expense of the extra various tools is such that I'd toss them. Berdan primers are several steps in the wrong direction compared to Boxer primers...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I toss all my Berdan primed brass, damaged brass, and worn out brass in a box after crushing the mouth. One of these days when I have enough and some of that elusive free time, I plan to melt it down and cast something out of it. Perhaps some draw-pulls for my reloading bench.

Though it is worth a little at the recyclers.

I'm wasteful, but I sure have fun with it. I love to stand it up on a rail and use it as targets with a 22 or whatever.

It can be reloaded as said but it can also be converted to boxer by drilling out the anvil and uniforming the pocket, after decaping with a special double prong tool or hydraulically. Also as stated not at all worth messing with on 30-06 but worth knowing for real hard to find calibers.

I chuck them in a bucket with all the other bad brass and sell it off every so often.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Some steel cases can be reloaded. Just not as easy and as often as Boxer primed brass cases. Keep it in mind for an emergency. Remember how the Jews armed themselves in the Warsaw ghetto and how effective they were with their sorry collection.

I'm looking for Berdan brass, especially 8mm and .303 British, but I'd consider others as well. I reload it. Thanks, Chris. PM here or email to cpcg43 at yahoo dot com

Make buttons, cuff links, wind chimes. Solder a piece of wire on the case and make a custom powder dipper.