Thread: Beads are not flies for purposes of "fly-only" water.

Exclamation Beads are not flies for purposes of "fly-only" water.

I was going over the regs and it never occurred to me that beads were not fly's and are illegal in "fly only" waters. I have been fly-fishing for years and must admit that I have used beads (not attached to the hook) on the Russian under shear ignorance, and have seen many others do likewise. This is the first year that I have noticed the regs actually making the distinction. For it to be considered a fly the bead must be attached to the hook (as oppossed to suspention above the hook with a toothpick). I find it interesting that in the past the regs provided a picture of the correct way to measure the bead/hook distance in the section dealing with the Russian. Anyways, heres to swinging leaches and drifting flesh paterns from now on -- beads are too easy anyway.

Default beads...

Here's the info from page 11 of the regs, special regs for Cook Inlet fresh and salt waters:

Attractors or Beads... In flowing waters of West Cook Inlet, Kenai Peninsula, Anchorage Bowl, Knick Arm, and Susitna River drainages (Cook Inlet drainage flowing waters) attractors (beads) when used with a fly, lure, or bare hook must be either fixed within two inches of the hook or free sliding on the line or leader. For proper spacing, see illustration. For the purposes of this section, a bead not attached to the hook is an attractor, not a fly.
    A bead fished on the line above a bare hook is not legal gear in waters where only flies may be used.
    How I read that is that a bead CAN be used on the Russian, you just can't use a bare hook with it. You have to use a fly.

But it seems everytime I read the regs I come out with a different answer, so any insight by those in-the-know would be greatly appreciated.

Page 4: Statewide Sportfishing Regulations

Gear for fly-fishing-only waters: In waters designated as fly-fishing-only waters, sport fishing is permitted only as follows: (1) with not more than one unweighted, single-hook fly with gap between point and shank of 3/8 inch or less; and (2) weights may only be used 18 inches or more ahead of the fly. (3) Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed.

Default So no unattached beads allowed.

Pretty plain language regardless of how you interpret it. I would bet that many people have not considered this and probably believe that as long as they have a fly pole they must be fly-fishing!

Default So no unattached beads allowed.

Pretty plain language regardless of how you interpret it. I would bet that many people have not considered this and probably believe that as long as they have a fly pole they must be fly-fishing!

Wink always an interesting read..

as i recall, the definition of an "unweighted" fly is pretty outrageous. to my mind it means NO WEIGHT, but i think F&G says it means "not much weight, but a little"...like 3/8 of an oz...?
    btw, at the lodge i worked at we would paint our beads with the appropriate "secret" shade of nail polish, then heat the head of a tiemco nymph hook and slide the bead over it. wrap a bed of floss the "egg" snugs onto and cement it with zap-a-gap. instant "fly".
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/