Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: Bad news for the fish processors?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Bad news for the fish processors?

    Could this be bad news for the commercial fishing industry in Alaska? I don't know how many illegal aliens the fishing industry employs, but as with most low paying industries I'm sure the attraction of using illegal workers must be great.

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...al-immigrants/

    While I don't agree with much of what the present administration does, curtailing the use of illegal aliens has got to be good for the millions of umemployeed Americans.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    No, this is not any news for fish processors. It looks like you don't know much about alien workers. Most of the alien workers are student workers and they have work visas that are easy to check! A big plus is they are not meth-heads.

    What does this have to do with FISHERIES MANAGEMENT? Or are you just slinging dirt to see where it lands again!

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Thumbs down Same ol', same ol' . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    . . just slinging dirt to see where it lands again!
    Attachment 66584

    ***********************

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default management from afar...


    Looks like fisheries management from afar by the Feds if they are going to nail the big processors for hiring illegal aliens.

    I saw earlier this year where they were cutting back on the student visas - i.e. young cheap foreign labor - and also where some of the processors are openly advertising for foreign workers on their web sites - i.e. any cheap foreign labor they can get to avoid having to pay Americans decent wages.

    I guess I've never understood the greed of some - saving a few bucks by hiring foreigners when so many of their fellow Americans are out of work. And that goes for all industries - not just the fish guys.



    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    No, this is not any news for fish processors. It looks like you don't know much about alien workers. Most of the alien workers are student workers and they have work visas that are easy to check! A big plus is they are not meth-heads.

    What does this have to do with FISHERIES MANAGEMENT? Or are you just slinging dirt to see where it lands again!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

    Looks like fisheries management from afar by the Feds if they are going to nail the big processors for hiring illegal aliens.

    I saw earlier this year where they were cutting back on the student visas - i.e. young cheap foreign labor - and also where some of the processors are openly advertising for foreign workers on their web sites - i.e. any cheap foreign labor they can get to avoid having to pay Americans decent wages.

    I guess I've never understood the greed of some - saving a few bucks by hiring foreigners when so many of their fellow Americans are out of work. And that goes for all industries - not just the fish guys.
    Your location noted

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Default

    Don't feed the trolls . . .
    **************************



    Attachment 66626


    Issues has an issue and she won't rest until it becomes your issue, too. Even when she's not talking about her issue it's clear she would rather be talking about her issue. Something of a secular evangelist, her religion, her raison d'etre, her abiding passion is....well, her issue. Not exclusive to any ideological orientation, her issue could be the environment, abortion rights, raw foods, breast feeding, whatever. Her obsession, however, provides the key to defeating her in battle; she can't tolerate indifference, so if her thrusts are simply ignored she will rage, accuse, condemn, plead and finally, go away.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Well, Marcus, the only people who go away here are the actual knowledgeable people who get disgusted trying to explain the obvious to the oblivious. After a while, the only ones left have strong opinions and little command of facts.

    Why are we still here?
    Terry

  8. #8
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Bad news for the fish processors?

    From my experience I believe that business owners like j1 visa or "student" visa workers because they are much better employees than the seasonal employee crowd from this country.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bad news for the fish processors?

    Basic supply and demand, when supplies of the cheap labor come to an end, the companies will have to increase wages to get the quality of employee they want. People say aliens do the work that US citizens wont do. That is partially correct, aliens do the work for a wage that citizens wont do it for. If the aliens are gone, the employers are forced to pay a more competitive wage. In my uneducated opinion.

    Robert

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default we pay one way or the other..

    In the 50s with the Korean War ending the US Govt. under Eisenhower a program called "Operation Wetback". The US rounded up all the illegal aliens and deported them so that jobs would be available for the returning veterans. I'm sure the wages went up along with the cost of goods, but that was seen as a better option to having no jobs for our citizens.

    The total cost of labor in most goods isn't that great. Even if the processors doubled the wages paid to workers on the slime lines and reflected the cost in the fillets at the market the increase won't be significant.

    For myself I'd rather pay a higher cost for the goods I buy than pay higher taxes to pay unemployment. Overall, I feel it is much better for the country and our American workers. I've worked in many jobs over the country and I've found most American workers to be hard workers IF they are treated in a decent manner and respected. We don't need to import foreign workers to cut up fish - there are plenty of Americans that need work and they shouldn't be treated as third work slave workers.

    If the fish processors are using illegal aliens I hope they nail them big time and deport the workers at the beginning of the season. It would only serve the companies employing them with what they deserve.


    Quote Originally Posted by windvane View Post
    Basic supply and demand, when supplies of the cheap labor come to an end, the companies will have to increase wages to get the quality of employee they want. People say aliens do the work that US citizens wont do. That is partially correct, aliens do the work for a wage that citizens wont do it for. If the aliens are gone, the employers are forced to pay a more competitive wage. In my uneducated opinion.

    Robert

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    And what does this have to do with Fisheries Management?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    And what does this have to do with Fisheries Management?
    That exact connection was asked about, by the OP. No additional posts have linked this thread to the subject of Fisheries Management so far. Want to be the first?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That exact connection was asked about, by the OP. No additional posts have linked this thread to the subject of Fisheries Management so far. Want to be the first?
    I give it a try Hang on here we go. State fisheries managers working with the unemployment division could require all persons on unemplyment report to work for fish processors or loose thier unemployment and no longer get a state dividend check. How was that? No more free rides!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I give it a try Hang on here we go. State fisheries managers working with the unemployment division could require all persons on unemplyment report to work for fish processors or loose thier unemployment and no longer get a state dividend check. How was that? No more free rides!
    MGH55 for president!!! You have my vote

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default second step..

    That would be the second step after all the illegal aliens and other slave-like labor is eliminated.

    Actually, just getting rid of long-term unemployment benefits and the cheap slave-like labor should take care of the situation - it has worked before. The only loser would be the employers - like the fish processors - that rely on cheap foreign labor to fatten their profits at the expense of Americans.

    Automation has eliminated many of the dirty, dangerous tasks in most industries while creating better paying jobs to take care of the equipment. It is high time the state starts requiring the same of the processors.


    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I give it a try Hang on here we go. State fisheries managers working with the unemployment division could require all persons on unemplyment report to work for fish processors or loose thier unemployment and no longer get a state dividend check. How was that? No more free rides!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  16. #16
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Tvf, your lack of knowledge concerning the commercial fishing industry is simply astounding.

    Some of the more remote canneries have generations of workers who've turned those isolated outposts into communities. Much like the agricultural jobs in the lesser 48, anyone may apply, most Americans don't, for whatever reason.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    . . lack of knowledge concerning the commercial fishing industry . .

    Save your breath, Hippie.


    Sliming someone doesn't require knowledge, it only requires a broad brush, malice, and a bucket of slime.


    And, of course, the means . . .

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default if it is so good..

    If the working conditions and wages are so great why are the processors openly seeking cheap desperate foreign labor outside the county? Of course, some of the employers are better than others but I'm addressing the industry as a whole, and the worse of the lot get most the attention. In general, I've found the companies get the workers they deserve, and that goes for all industries. You apparently know which are the best and worse of the processors to work for, care to share that opinion with us?

    The agricultural community also has a miserable reputation of abusing employees, especially along the southern border. The coal mining industry was another. There are always some that will take advantage of a captive labor market in an isolated location.

    There are a number of reasons it is hard to hire American workers. One is that we pay too much not to work. Another is that cheap foreign workers depress the wage scale. Cutting out the extended unemployment benefits and deportation of many illegal aliens would go a long way toward solving a lot of our problems. It has worked before.

    In any event- MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours!


    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Tvf, your lack of knowledge concerning the commercial fishing industry is simply astounding.

    Some of the more remote canneries have generations of workers who've turned those isolated outposts into communities. Much like the agricultural jobs in the lesser 48, anyone may apply, most Americans don't, for whatever reason.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default but the real reason...

    But the real reason they hire the J-1 SWT workers is because of money:

    "The fish processors won’t do this because it’s cheaper to hire SWT student workers from abroad. Under the rules of the program, the SWT workers are required to pay for their own travel and health care insurance, and often have room and board costs deducted from their paycheck. Fish processors also save big on their wage bill. It’s been reported that SWT workers earn the minimum wage for fish processing, $7.75 an hour in Alaska, which is much lower than the average wage earned by fish processing workers in the state. The statewide average, or prevailing wage, for fish cutters and trimmers in Alaska is $10.20 per hour, which is similar to the local average hourly wage in the greater Anchorage area ($10.07) and in Bristol Bay ($10.06). Processors save at least $2.31 per hour, per worker by hiring an SWT student worker instead of someone earning the average wage. Those savings are significant when you consider the SWT student worker is usually on the job for six days a week, 16 hours a day, for three or four months."

    from: http://www.epi.org/blog/state-depart...sh-processing/

    The companies I've worked for have had great luck with summer student hires - it has been great experiences for both the students and the companies' employees. But I guess the old saying still applies: "You get what you pay for". If the processors were willing to pay a decent wage they could most likely get some decent workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    From my experience I believe that business owners like j1 visa or "student" visa workers because they are much better employees than the seasonal employee crowd from this country.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  20. #20

    Default

    I'm reminded of the saying "it's better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

    Why would anybody want to keep posting hot air about an industry that they clearly know very little about?

    These jobs are the definition of entry level........Comparing the pay of an entry level position vs. the average wage is meaningless, because the average includes people with superior experience and skill. You will find the same correlation in any industry in any corner of the world.

    News flash: entry level workers make less money than the average worker everywhere you look. Interns make less than partners. Apprentices make less than journey level carpenters and rookies make less than seasoned pros. If only the Seattle Mariners paid the rookies the same as Felix Hernandez, then they would get what they paid for.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •