Thread: .338 rcm?

Default .338 rcm?

Is anyone shooting this cartridge? Good, bad experiences? I'm thinking of getting one in stainless just as short all-around use rifle with a little punch to it.

I shoot a 338-06 and they are ballisticly the same round. I have been very happy with the way it kills moose,bears, and bou. I don't think that the 338rcm will become popular. It might be hard to find brass or loaded rounds in ten years. With the 388-06 you can upsize 30-06 brass. That's just my .02

I have one of the SS/Syn 338 RCM Hawkeyes w/open sights. It shoots well and is short and light enough to carry in my boat or on my ATV. It has simular ballistics to the 338-06 but does it out of a short action and a 2" shorter barrel. It will probably never be as popular as the longer 338-06. I bought a supply of factory ammo, some brass and dies so I'm set until my rifle wears out, Plus the bullets also fit my 338 WM. In a pinch brass can be made from several other Ruger rounds.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I shoot and carry one in stainless/synthetic. I chose it over the 338 win mag because of the tidy package. A joy to carry and points naturally. Recoil is also not bad. I picked up 100 pieces of new brass and have roughly the same in once fired. I have not had a problem finding ammo in shops around town or online. If you have no desire to ever reload, I may think about another caliber, but eh, who knows? It is a good round in a great gun.
    Last edited by DDUB; 12-23-2012 at 16:11. Reason: typo

Me too on the SS/Syn 338 RCM Hawkeye; I scoped mine with flip up covers. A wide rubberish sling and its all set for bad weather and good hunting.

I love the flat shooting of the round; it kicks a little more than my .270 but hits a lot harder. Very light gun, but it doesn't hurt to shoot.

I too agree with .338 RCM owners hoarding brass. You never know.

I've looked at this one off and on as well as the .300RCM- I really like that you can get it in LH, in a carbine, with open sights. After using the .375 Ruger and liking it I still seriously consider this one as a "buy ahead" for my boy.

Hornady is pretty good at supporting their offspring long term and still catalog a lot of pretty unusual numbers. Probably means you have to forward think your logistics a little bit, but that's rarely a bad idea anyway. Some brass, some dies, a case of ammo- would probably last a guy a lifetime of casual shooting.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Bought one for my son and I myself a couple of years ago. Four moose, three caribou, two black bears, and 7 blacktails later all I can say is wished they came out the rifle/cartridge 10 years earlier. It is everything a hunter needs in a light weight rifle with moderate recoil. If you can find one, buy it.

.I also have a Ruger in 338 rcm. Mine has proven to be pretty accurate. I bought up enough brass to last me.

I'm getting 2800 fps from 200 gr. bullets. 2600fps from 225gr. And 2525fps from 250gr.

The factory 200 runs 2800fps, the 225 runs 2600fps from my rifle (20" barrel).

I sure like the open sights. I replaced the front factory sight with a NECG front sight, the white bead. Works better for my eyes.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I think I was a little harsh with my other posts. If I didn't already have a 388-06 I would seriously consider a 338 RCM. I only get 2680fps with a 210 gr Barnes TTSX with a 24" barrel. It has proven very well at shots under 300 yards. If you can get a extra 100 FPS with a 20 it would be great. All the load data I have seen with the 338 RCM is with a 24" barrel. If I ever get a head of the game I might one along with 500 or brass for my kiddos.

The most interesting thing about this rifle/round was the total lack of working up a load for it. Bought some Hornady 225 SP bullets and loaded them up with a middle of the road powder and bingo, sub MOA at 100 yards. Best part was these "cheap" bullets held together perfectly on even the moose.

Thanks for all the input. I'm not in love with Ruger rifles, as I have Win 70's, Rem 700s and a Kimber, but I really like the package. It looks like it would fit well in all transportation modes from raft to aircraft and be handy in the thick brush. I've got friend that is putting together a Cessna 150 taildragger and I think this rifle would fit in the expanded baggage.

Merry Christmas to all

Hello from Maryland--wish I lived there. Maryland has become a terrible place to live and own a gun.
    I have a Ruger 338RCM SS All Weather Compact Magnum, I think that's what it's called.
    I think it has a 20 inch barrel but I can't remember.
    I wanted to see if any of you guys up there are using the factory sights and if so at what range you zeroed it?
    I don't reload so I also wanted to see if anyone was using the factory 225 grain SST ammo and if so what you thought of it?
    That's what I'm planning on using.

Hello, can you tell me at what range you zeroed your Ruger 338RCM? I have the same gun but haven't used the open sights and I want to.
    I'm planning on using the factory 225 grain SST since I don't reload.

Extremely nice iron sights on that rifle (I have one too; yes its a 20 inch barrel).

I sight mine in like other rifles; hit 2 inches high at 100 yards, then pointNshoot with no math out to 250 or 300 yards. 225SST works well on game and doesn't kick your shoulder badly. Nice flat shooter with lots of power.

Can you still get .338 RCM 225 SST there? What did you pay for your last box?

Default Update for RCM fans

Just bought a used .338 RCM SS from Cabelas, only brass to be had is in factory ammo which cost me $44 a box plus shipping for Hornady 185 gr. GMX. and online dealer only had a few of those left....

Got dies on order, called Hornady about brass they have no idea on when they will make a run, as they are behind on everything. I also have just bought a .375 RCM Savage SS Alaskan Bush Hunter no brass for that either.. Only some hunters in the deep,dark wet and cold realize the beauty of this cartridge unfortunately. Kind of like the .338 Fed. now that it's dead, it's wanted....

Been trying to figure out a cheap way to form both from Hornady's .375 RCM basic brass which Midway has in stock....

Default present day cost?

Quote Originally Posted by 180pilot View Post
    Just bought a used .338 RCM SS from Cabelas...
    Would you mind sharing what that rifle cost you?

I've been thinking that at some point soon that rifle would go down in value due to ammo inavailability, and then up in value at some future point when the value of the RCM round is more apparent to more people and it becomes a collectable.

Weren't they around $900 new before the rifle and round were both discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by 180pilot View Post
    Just bought a used .338 RCM SS from Cabelas, only brass to be had is in factory ammo which cost me $44 a box plus shipping for Hornady 185 gr. GMX. and online dealer only had a few of those left....

Got dies on order, called Hornady about brass they have no idea on when they will make a run, as they are behind on everything. I also have just bought a .375 RCM Savage SS Alaskan Bush Hunter no brass for that either.. Only some hunters in the deep,dark wet and cold realize the beauty of this cartridge unfortunately. Kind of like the .338 Fed. now that it's dead, it's wanted....

Been trying to figure out a cheap way to form both from Hornady's .375 RCM basic brass which Midway has in stock....
    I believe you'll find your 116 Savage is actually a 375 Ruger. These rounds are much longer than the 338 RCM rounds. Both are excellent rounds in the proper roll.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Read again my entry again it says "375 RCM Savage SS" RCM for the caliber and Savage for the rifle, and I know the difference in lengths. First sentence refers to the Ruger I just bought.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I believe you'll find your 116 Savage is actually a 375 Ruger. These rounds are much longer than the 338 RCM rounds. Both are excellent rounds in the proper roll.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Would you mind sharing what that rifle cost you?

I've been thinking that at some point soon that rifle would go down in value due to ammo inavailability, and then up in value at some future point when the value of the RCM round is more apparent to more people and it becomes a collectable.

Weren't they around $900 new before the rifle and round were both discontinued?

It is used, but no marks or dings, with rings, just got it home today $699 and Cabelas included shipping free, to my FFL dealer.

Going to put Warne QD rings, Diamondback Vortex 2-7 scope, and run 185 GMX through Chrono and grouping.