Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 351 rebuild

Default 351 rebuild

I am starting my 351 rebuild for the 20ft Xtra plus. Not the diesel as it turns out.

I am upgrading to aluminum Edelbrock performer intake manifold, leaving the Holley Carbs, and upgrading the Manifolds from logs to stainless. Hi Tek marine out of Australia, shipped to my door. They are maybe 10-15 pounds a piece and are supposed to have a 50hp increase over the logs just by bolting them on. I am going to buy a short block and have it shipped up instead of tanking and rebuilding my own here.

IMG_0114.jpgIMG_0115.jpg

I need a new oil pan. Anybody have some experience with this? Marine pans are different than automotive and they are not making 351 marine specific pans anymore.

So, what do you think??

I can't look! I can't find my sunglasses!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

nice. better airflow is always a great way to increase power.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I need a new oil pan... Marine pans are different than automotive and they are not making 351 marine specific pans anymore.
    While many marine parts are of course different from their marine counterparts, I'm wondering what the difference might be for an oil pan? Apart from any possible clearance issues, seems like auto/marine should interchange as long as the correct pickup is used for the sump.

I am actually +1 on the question, though, because I have a GM 305 (small-block Chevy Volvo-Penta) with a leaking oil pan. I plan to pull it, clean it up, and if it's just one crack then I'll fix it. But if it's peppered with rust spots, my idea was to swap for an aftermarket, automotive-style aluminum oil pan and call it good. If there is an issue I haven't thought of, please somebody speak up.

Thanks in advance for the info, and best of luck on your 351 project!
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Marine engine have a hi capacity oil pump and there for need lots of oil. Marine oil pans are deeper than the ones used in a car to be-able to carry more oil.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Marine engine have a hi capacity oil pump and there for need lots of oil. Marine oil pans are deeper than the ones used in a car to be-able to carry more oil.
    It's been a long time since I shopped for aftermarket hot rod parts :-) but I seem to remember there being deep-sump pans and long pickups marketed for common automotive V-8 engines. I'm thinking about options such as these. As long as the oil capacity was preserved (or even enhanced) would these be acceptable for marine use?
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

If you asking me for advice on replacement parts for a marine engine your in trouble. I know just enough to be dangerous. LOL

Anyway there a company called jegs.com they have after market parts.

Good luck

marine oil pans should have one or more baffles in them. I would'nt run an automotive pan. just my 2pennys

Just a note...be sure to check your manifold`s ports vs. your head ports to make sure they are nearly perfect in fit...any turbulence there will rob power.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Yup, already looked over all that. The links you gave don't have 351w marine oil pans. There is a circle track oil pan that might work. And yes, I do know how to do a google search, but thank you for including it. I was hoping somebody would pipe up and say something like "I know they don't make them anymore, but this one works just as good".

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Just a note...be sure to check your manifold`s ports vs. your head ports to make sure they are nearly perfect in fit...any turbulence there will rob power.

Good call, thank you.

Take your old one to a fab shop and have them build you a copy of it.

Thank you. I did not know you could do that. I am not sure how to go about it, but will inquire.

or just buy this one.....

http://www.greenbayprop.com/content-..._capacity.html

Interestingly, if you know anything about performance builds at all, you will note there is no baffles or a windage tray.....so much for the better marine pan......LOL..... However, it does have a completely different shape than a car or truck pan.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    And check the gaskets too. Cut/grind as necessary to get them matched up perfectly. In the process, you can unleash a serious amount of power.

I found an aluminum marine oil pan or Ebay a while ago. $170 shipping, yikes. Almost $400 to get it here.

I think the pan would need baffles, but thanks for the heads up. Yes, I have noticed that marine oil pans look to have a "middle sump" making them look different that automotive pans.

I have a buddy that could not get the gaskets just right for his 460 so he just used RTV. Works fine so he just stopped buying gaskets. He takes his manifolds off in the winter after cracking one.

Why did you shy away from the used diesel option?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Beats me, but I can think of a number of reasons:

1.) diesels are really heavy and his boat not so big - it would probably be stern heavy
    2.) probably won't even physically fit without extensive modifications
    3.) diesels cost a small fortune to buy
    4.) the 351 will makes serious hp for little $ and not be too hard on fuel
    5.) you can stroke a 351 to 427 cubes and have 500 hp for not that much money - hard to match with an oil burner
    6.) money spent on a diesel means money not spent on the important things: beer, trucks, fishing, hunting....ect...LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I found an aluminum marine oil pan or Ebay a while ago. $170 shipping, yikes. Almost $400 to get it here.

I think the pan would need baffles, but thanks for the heads up. Yes, I have noticed that marine oil pans look to have a "middle sump" making them look different that automotive pans.

I have a buddy that could not get the gaskets just right for his 460 so he just used RTV. Works fine so he just stopped buying gaskets. He takes his manifolds off in the winter after cracking one.
    Based upon what I saw with the factory "marine" pans that don't have baffles or a windage tray, if it were my boat, I wouldn't hesitate to put in a rear or front sump pan with the appropriate high quality high volume oil pump and pickup. Like all the builds I have done, I tack weld the pickup on to make sure it stays in one place - not really necessary probably, but I do it. Given a choice, I'd go with the 4x4 truck pan (rear sump) with the oil baffle as unlike the "marine" pan, it at least attempts to keep the oil in on place. Of course, that is given they even will fit in your installation.

BTW, normally I am from the camp that says don't put automotive crap on your boat. However, in this case, it doesn't seem to really matter given the crummy design of the factory marine pan. They are really bad......suprisingly so.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast