Thread: Pull Starting ATV

Default Pull Starting ATV

Snyd you mentioned one time in another thread that you thought you could start your Grizzly by pulling it with another machine. Have you ever done this? I'm going to try mine and see if it works one of these days. If so how fast did you pull it etc. I used to roll my Kawasaki Bayou downhill sometimes and start it that way just for the grins of it but it wasn't an auto. I would think that the motor has to be running to engage the two halves of the clutch with an auto transmission.

I don't think he really meant pull starting using another wheeler. I can't imagine how that would work on a belt drive as the engine rpm is what governs the transmission. Therefore the transmission in gear spinning would just cause the belt to roundy-round the engine clutch and not cause it to spin. Maybe he was referring to pull starting as in using the rope to pull start the engine. Now I've got to try it....

Default tried it

I was told I could pull start my sporstman 700 the same way. I tried it up to 40mph. No dice. We tried it in hi lo and reverse it does not work. I have replaced that weeler with a 500 ho efi with a recoil. Good luck!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

most machines have easy belt cover access, remove cover wrap a strap around the drive clutch, make sure its wrapped around the clutch the right way or you will just be turning the engine backwards and pull on it like you did in your youth and it should fire right up. i tried this on my sp 700 and it works.

An automatic atv will not pull start, just like a sled won't either. It would if you could get the primary to engage.

My suzuki king quad, I have pulled be on other machines and gotten it started that way, put in netural and get some speed and put in first or second gear, Yamaha and honda 3 wheelers work the same way,