Thread: Powder scales

Default Powder scales

I saw and have read the other thread below but I wanted to be more specific - I would like to hear what everyone else is using, how they feel about their choices and why -

I used a RCBS 5 0 5. It's the only one that I have ever used. I trust it and I only a few boxes at a time so I'm in no hurry.

I use a Redding balance beam scale. Simple, accurate, reliable, needs no batteries...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I used same like IO for many long years, but recently switched to a couple of cheapy electronic scales.

They're so much faster it's unlikely I will ever go back to the balance.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I used to use an old Ohaus, but it was not too accurate, and bought a Lyman. Too slow. I now own an RCBS Chargemaster combo and it is very fast and accurate. But for loading a few shells I pull out my Redding. I found the Ohaus and Lyman are too inaccurate for me.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have an RCBS mechanical 5-0-5 model if I recall correctly. It is in no danger of going anywhere but it lives in a cabinet. I use the RCBS chargemaster for most stuff and a Hornady electric scale for verifying that my chargemaster is not off.

Depends on what and how much I'm reloading. If I'm only reloading a box or two, I use a old oil dampered Redding for my pistol loads, for my heavier charged rifles, I use my RCBS 5-0-5, which is magnetic dampered. The magnetic dampered scale can be a pain in the hinney for light charges. If I'm gonna do several boxes, I use my pact electronic dispenser and scale. Just to be on the safe side, I still check the Pact from time to time with the baqlance beam.

Use an cheapo e scale, seems sensitive to drafts and the fluorescent lights

Also use a 10-10 keep it dust free and clean the knife edges with alcohol and q tips

Also use aB&m pm Harrell, and little dandy. All are repeatable, but I do check on scale every 10 rds...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I used same like IO for many long years, but recently switched to a couple of cheapy electronic scales.

They're so much faster it's unlikely I will ever go back to the balance.

Smitty of the North
    For many years I used the 10-10, a great basic, simple scale, but tedious. A couple years ago I switched to the RCBS Charge Master, much quicker, enjoyable and accurate.

"so far" the RCBS ChargeMaster is getting the nod ... please keep commenting though ! (and Thank you !)

Another vote for the charge master, I will never go back to the mechanical scales even for a few loads. It's super easy and fast. For large volume .223 and pistol I use a uniflow and check weight with the charge master.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity