Thread: Lynx advice?

Default Lynx advice?

Got my act together recently and scouted some new areas since where I am now isn't producing. One of these areas was, to my extremely happy surprise, just loaded with cat tracks. So today I headed back and made some sets and wanted to ask a little about what I can do to better my odds at catching something. I've got some blind trail sets with snares made in pretty nice looking locations where they're walking through. I've got some strips of moose hide hung with legholds set under them. These are all visible from the main trail the cats are walking on, and I also hung some snares between the trail and those strips of hide. I still have a lot of snares and legholds to use, so I'd really appreciate if you guys could help me come up with some more sets to make. I really wanna make the most of this area and not goof it up! Next time I'm out, I'll get some pictures of what I've got set so far. Thanks guys!
    Ryan from Wasilla

I prefer cubbies set right next to my trail so the lynk has to put little effort into getting in my trap, lots of guiding directs their foot right to the trap pan. Attachment 66732
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Cats are EXTREMELY lazy. I like to walk my trails, keeping my feet a little wide as i walk. walk the same trail every check and it will get packed down and they will use it as a easy way to move over a long distance. Then set your snares in your trail and cubbie's right off the trail with the attractor hanging over the trail. I like to snare about 10 feet on either side of the cubbie and one straight of the back of the cubbie as well in case they try and circle the set. I am no expert but thats what worked really well for me.

I've done things similar to mac87. Make your cubbies off to the side of your main trail, 20 ft or so. Walk to the cubby and back a couple times to pack down the snow. Use shears to cut brush out of the way. Set a couple snares on the way back to your main trail.
    Had some picky lynx once. Wouldn't commit to the cubby. Made snow/dirt hole sets at the base of large spruce trees. Helped get the lynx in to the set.
    Block the trap, meaning set sticks around the edge of trap to target it's foot on to the pan.
    Hey.........pics next time, eh?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

look up snare pens online. They are easy to set up and provide the option of single or doubles in catches.
    good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Right on, thank you guys a lot. Heading out tomorrow, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures this time Mr. Martentrapper! How high and wide do you guys make your snares? I would guess something like 14-16 inches off the ground or so and maybe 10ish wide?
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    I would guess something like 14-16 inches off the ground or so and maybe 10ish wide?
    Nooooooooooo!!!!!!! The 10 in wide is OK, but no more than 11 inches off the ground. I used to use 10 in. lop, 10 in. off the ground. Got body catches with that. 9 in. loop, 11 in. off ground helped lower body catches. In some cases you might go lower than 11....not likely you can go more than 11. To assist an animals head to center in to the loop...........place a chin lifter stick under the loop........that's a small slender stick. You can also attempt to lower the animals head with a stick across the trail for it to duck under.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Nooooooooooo!!!!!!! The 10 in wide is OK, but no more than 11 inches off the ground. I used to use 10 in. lop, 10 in. off the ground. Got body catches with that. 9 in. loop, 11 in. off ground helped lower body catches. In some cases you might go lower than 11....not likely you can go more than 11. To assist an animals head to center in to the loop...........place a chin lifter stick under the loop........that's a small slender stick. You can also attempt to lower the animals head with a stick across the trail for it to duck under.
    Martentrapper, I ended up building a double snare pen and went with a 10 inch loop about ten inches off the ground. Got a really nice tom in it yesterday morning! Wasn't a body catch either, right around the neck.
    Ryan from Wasilla