Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-emptive strike

Default Pre-emptive strike

I put in for a nonresident moose permit in an area with long odds. As a second choice, I put in for another area with not so long odds. The catch is I know very little about my #2 pick. How bad of a beating am I going to get for seeking help here if I draw #2? How many posts do I need before the 'police' cut me some slack?

It'll be fine. If a few people have a bone to pick, the ignore system is reasonably effective. Yes, it's ideal to do exhaustive research before applying, but that's just not always a reality.

I know that I'll be asking for advice on a handful of tags if I'm so lucky as to win one. That's part of what these forums are here for. Good luck!

Public flogging.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I don't mind a little flogging but I do not want welts! Over the years I have been very successful at getting information from this site. I see each year some number getting hammered for trying out a new area. I have thick skin, I can handle it. I just really hope I get #1!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    I don't mind a little flogging but I do not want welts! Over the years I have been very successful at getting information from this site. I see each year some number getting hammered for trying out a new area. I have thick skin, I can handle it. I just really hope I get #1!!!
    Don't worry about it. You just have to remember that those doing the flogging are really the ignorant ones in the discussion. They demonstrate their lack of understanding of the who permit hunting process that takes into account a good number of people who don't even bother to hunt not to mention those who just aren't successful.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Nikster, if you would like, we could start the beating now, so when the permits come out, it won't be as hard to take. Just trying to help!!

I think, well at least me, is that guys put in for the awesome tags not knowing anything about them. Then they realize that it requires more work than riding around and shooting from the hood of the truck and they let it go to waste.

Default Re: Pre-emptive strike

You're a nonresident. Why would we care what you pull?

sent from my igloo

You'll likely get some good info...you'll also likely get a bashing.

I wouldn't sweat it and ask away.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I think, well at least me, is that guys put in for the awesome tags not knowing anything about them. Then they realize that it requires more work than riding around and shooting from the hood of the truck and they let it go to waste.
    And that is factored into the numbers of how many permits they issue. If they want 50 animals taken, they don't issue 50 permits, they issue 150 or 200 or whatever. They figure a certain number of people who don't hunt or won't be successful (based on past history) and issue enough permits to get approximately their desired take.

I don't think it's the asking of a draw, I think it's the approach that takes flack.

"I have zero info in a tag but I drew it now I need help".

Non res are very, very lucky to have the hunt opportunities here in Alaska. Most states are not as open.

Hence the animosity.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I'm with Abel. The time to do the research is before you apply for a tag. I'd never put in for a tag that I didn't know exactly what I was getting into before hand.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I have a slightly different opinion than some. I totally get the frustration of having the holder of a tag (for which you applied and have done all the groundwork)ask for help filling the tag. Especially on a public forum. I have tried to give myself the best chance I can of moose hunting this year in Alaska. If my first choice is blown I still have a chance to hunt in a less sought after area. Or I still have the option of going general if I do not draw at all. I save my money and plan ahead so that I can afford a trip to Alaska at least every other year. I intend to rectify the whole nonresident status situation in the coming 2 years.
    During the ensuing 24 months I intend to do mountains of research. Then, on opening day of 2014 I'll be prepared with all the information I need to be sitting in Abel's/twodux's favorite honey hole!!

I agree that is more of a response to the lack of preparation than the actual question. I was irritated a dozen years back when Idaho awarded 40% of the tags on 1 hunt to nonresidents. As a resident I was further irritated that the successful applicants were looking for my advice as a resident hunter. If that were the situation here, I would be a hypocrite, however, it is my understanding that I have entered for a pool of permits that are not available to residents. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    ... however, it is my understanding that I have entered for a pool of permits that are not available to residents. Is that correct?
    That is correct. Like you said, there is some amount of animosity over the decision in some cases to allot some permits for non-residents when they would rather them be allotted to residents. Someone asking the question is just that tipping point for the annoyed and the forum gives them an easy opportunity to vent. Don't worry about it.

I put in for Delta Bison, 2 of the unit 13 bou draws, and some fbks local late fall cow moose hunts. I know almost nothing of these hunts, tho the moose permits are in areas one could do fairly easy float hunts, and some road hunting.
    I may ask for info on here if I get any of these permits. I also have friends/acquaintanances I can ask.

As a non res, you aren't able to get local info as easily as us that live here. There will be plenty of res. asking for info once the permits are out.

Besides, you would probably get some of the same flak, and from some of the same people, asking before you apply than if you ask after.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    You're a nonresident. Why would we care what you pull?

sent from my igloo
    What the....??? That's like saying.....Hey you're going on vacation, what would it matter where you go...???

Give the guy a break already.........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What the....??? That's like saying.....Hey you're going on vacation, what would it matter where you go...???

Give the guy a break already.........
    I may be wrong, but I think he was just pointing out that it is a bit rediculous that residents would give non-residents a hard time for putting in for drawing permits without knowing the information about the hunt. Residents are not elegible for non-resident permits in most cases, so it isn't like we would have a chance at those anyway so, like he said.... "why would we care...". I don't think he meant it to be mean, just matter of fact. Personally, I don't think many of the people who get worked up over it bother to look at whether it was a resident or non-resident permit anyway.

Default Re: Pre-emptive strike

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think he was just pointing out that it is a bit rediculous that residents would give non-residents a hard time for putting in for drawing permits without knowing the information about the hunt. Residents are not elegible for non-resident permits in most cases, so it isn't like we would have a chance at those anyway so, like he said.... "why would we care...". I don't think he meant it to be mean, just matter of fact. Personally, I don't think many of the people who get worked up over it bother to look at whether it was a resident or non-resident permit anyway.
    Thanks for explaining that. It's exactly what I meant. I could care less about which tag he pulls since it doesn't affect my odds. He also is less likely to kill something than a resident, which means more critters for me too.

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    do you have some stats to back up your claim he is less likely to kill something than a resident?
    Might want to tone down that huge font there, it's a bit overwhelming....

I don't think it really matters whether they are more or less likely to be successful. ADF&G has a set number of animals they want taken from any particular hunt. They allocate a percentage of those to non-resident hunters (varies depending on the specific hunt). If they have been seeing a higher or lower success rate among non-resident permit winners, they will adjust how many non-resident permits to give out to obtain the target objective. Same goes with resident permit hunts. They know how many they want taken and give out the number of permits that their historical data shows them will achieve close to the desired take.

If I had to guess, I would think that in many cases, the non-residents may tend to have a higher success rate since they have a lot more invested into the trip and thus may be more focused on success. Many non-residents use guides which definitely increases the odds of success. That's just a guess on my part though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast