Thread: jettng on 96 ski-doo 670

Default jettng on 96 ski-doo 670

My old ski-doo runs rough cruising down the trail and seems to smoke more than it should,I was going to reduce the jet size and see what that did for me. I told the guy at the parts counter what I wanted to do and he set me up with a 380. When I took the old jet out it was a 360. looking for some advice, thanks steve b

MXZ, Formula SS, GT SE, Summit, or Mach 1?

Do you still have the HAC system hooked up? When they fail it will run rich...it is supposed to compensate for high altitude so it will run a richer jet and automatically leans down or richens for altitude. Was the 360 that you took out in the clutch side carb? The Mag side is one jet size larger than the clutch side. I think I'm running a little leaner than the stock 370/380 (I'll have to go look) but I've got an EGT so tuning is a bit easier. The 670 that I eliminated the HAC went down to 340/350 jets, just make sure the plugs are chocolate brown after a wide open run. I've got quite a few jet sizes now and I've gotten pretty quick changing them for the colder temps and altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer View Post
    Was the 360 that you took out in the clutch side carb? The Mag side is one jet size larger than the clutch side.
    Correction. A stagger jetted sled will have the larger jet on the clutch(PTO) side. That side runs hotter due to the cooling system and/or heat buildup in the clutch and sometimes they run that side richer to cool it with extra fuel. Sometimes as much as 3 sizes difference.

What model is your machine steve?

if it is the summit just take the motor out and use the sled as a flower pot, those early summits were a POS

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    if it is the summit just take the motor out and use the sled as a flower pot, those early summits were a POS
    WHOA! Hang on there. The 96 Summit was the beginning of the great mountain sleds. First stock machine over the top at Jackson Hole. That old 670 was a solid motor. Even after over 15 years there are STILL guys who like the original 'S' chassis sleds.

[QUOTE=mod elan;1221833]Correction. A stagger jetted sled will have the larger jet on the clutch(PTO) side. That side runs hotter due to the cooling system and/or heat buildup in the clutch and sometimes they run that side richer to cool it with extra fuel. Sometimes as much as 3 sizes difference.

Sorry, my bad, it's been a year since I've had the carbs out... maybe we'll get enough snow to get it out and tune it up for the season... Summit 670's aren't bad sleds once you get the downhill flooding solved, I've enjoyed mine with a 151x2" paddle and a few mods.

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer View Post
    Summit 670's aren't bad sleds once you get the downhill flooding solved, I've enjoyed mine with a 151x2" paddle and a few mods.
    8 tooth drivers or a drop and roll for that 2"? Smash the float arms flat and clip the ends to fit in the float bowl. That will do wonders for the flooding issue.

Talking older summit's

WHOA! Hang on there (MODELAN)

Can't hang onto a POS Got the 94 new summit 583 when they came out POS, big time problems with it flooding so trade/ sold it for a new 95 summit 670 another POS, but wait, let's try a newer 96 summit, low and behold image that POS, got smart and picked up a 98 Powder extreme 600, heavy but it went to where I pointed, plus nothing like a sound of a tripple when you got it on its side, but did go back to 99 summitx in 01, , about the only good thing about the older summits were digging tunnels, is Joe still whining about the cold weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the laugh! Yes the 94 and 95 summits were crap. But you caught me off guard when you compared the 96 to the cat extreme. Those machines would not run out of the crate they came in and had to have the clutches rebushed since they would bind up instantly At least compare them to the 600 twin that was a dog and only blew up every once in a while

Joe only complains between September 21st and June 1st

8" drivers for mine, I wasn't comfortable with the drop and roll at the time. I had a modded 670 that had serious flooding issues, but my current 670 hasn't had that problem.