Thread: Who should keep their guns (AWB?)

Default Who should keep their guns (AWB?)

Lets take a second to explore who should be affected if they elect to pass a ban on so called Assault Weapons and pass a limit on magazine capacity. For arguments sake lets say they get their holy grail and ban to the extent that it is retroactive and all of these guns became 100% illegal to posses. Provided that they do some sort of buy back or destruction of these weapons should the ban also extend to Law Enforcement Officers and stateside police organizations (DEA, FBI, Trooper, State/Local Police, Marshals, etc)?

Thread IMO gives ammunition to the Left Wing whom wants to take our guns.

At that point Semi-Autos would become much like the current Class 3 weapons and be registered and require a police dept. purchase authorization on a departmental letterhead. They could be retained by deptments and officers but could be transferred only to other departments or officers. The problem there will be that they would become very cost prohibitive. With the reduced market many manufacturers will go out of buisness leaving the market to a few select companies that can weather the market; The same with magazines and ammo. This reduction in manufacturing/sales will also affect/increase the current price of bolt actions, shotguns and ammo as well, due to the reduced income from a smaller/less broad market. It will also reduce the number of gun shops available to civilians as the reduced manufacturers and product lines are a large majority of the gun shops profit margin.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yes as many a cop can't carry off duty because of domestic violence in their history or even buy a personal firearm.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Yes as many a cop can't carry off duty because of domestic violence in their history or even buy a personal firearm.
    Seems weird if true. I will lose my right to carry at work if a restraining order is filed against me. I also loose my right to carry if domestic violence charges are filed. If either happens and I don't report it or surrender my issued firearm I'm in even more trouble.

If a department lets a cop carry that would otherwise not be allowed to carry it seems to me that the department would be liable if that officer was involved in any type of action.

Last night In Chicago I was eating in the hotel lounge and overheard a couple of guys talking about legislation behind me. I inquired and joined there table. They introduced themselves as Colt reps and concerned about their jobs going forward. They claim that Colt sent them a copy of the proposed weapons ban that will be argued on the floor in January. They claim 140 plus current production weapons are on it. They claim any rifle with a detachable magazine, semi auto action or heat shield on the barrel will be in jeopardy. They claim it is so broad that if it's passed it will even make a Ruger 10/22 illegal to buy. High capacity mags are on the hit list for hand guns and certain types of ammo as well.

Before anyone gets nasty with me for writing this be advised I was told directly by these two guys who claimed to be Colt reps. I have not seen any writings on this subject with my own eyes and had reservations about bring this up. They also said that it was their understanding that people collection these weapons now will not be able to sell or transfer ownership in the future if this ban is passed.

Personally I think this is the dung on the wall approach to limits. The gun haters are putting everything on the list in hopes that something will be limited. It will be a crazy month for sure. Write your reps and cross your fingers.

I think this entire thread is pointless and full of nothing but "what ifs".

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    I think this entire thread is pointless and full of nothing but "what ifs".
    It's not a "what if" it's a "when". Personally I think we will see it pass, or some form of her new bill.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default First they came...

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    It's not a "what if" it's a "when". Personally I think we will see it pass, or some form of her new bill.
    First they came for the black semi auto rifles,
    And I didn't speak out because I didn't own any of those.

Then they came for any and all clips,
    And I didn't speak out because none of my guns have clips.

Then they came for the big caliber weapons 50 cal or larger,

And then they came for me and my hunting rifles,
    And there was no one left to speak out for me.

(Borrowed from Martin Niemöller without his permission since he's dead now)

Yup, I've been thinking about this very thing. I'll continue to speak out against an AWB even though it wouldn't really effect what do with firearms if it passes. At least at this point. But, I think it's the first step towards more stringent control. Unfortunately, at this point I think the current lawmakers will pass this one. I think severe ammo restrictions of some sort will be next or included.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    First they came for the black semi auto rifles,

Then they came for any and all clips,
    And I didn't speak out because none of my guns have clips.

Then they came for the big caliber weapons 50 cal or larger,

And then they came for me and my hunting rifles,
    And there was no one left to speak out for me.

(Borrowed from Martin Niemöller without his permission since he's dead now)
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Only a bet on my part...O will not push anything too strong until he controls the Supreme Court, then he can have just about anything he wants. Just a matter of time folks and before the 3rd term.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Yup, I've been thinking about this very thing. I'll continue to speak out against an AWB even though it wouldn't really effect what do with firearms if it passes. At least at this point. But, I think it's the first step towards more stringent control. Unfortunately, at this point I think the current lawmakers will pass this one. I think severe ammo restrictions of some sort will be next or included.
    Me too; all 6 things you just said there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Only a bet on my part...O will not push anything too strong until he controls the Supreme Court, then he can have just about anything he wants. Just a matter of time folks and before the 3rd term.

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that one.

With enough support he could just do away with the supreme court and become king.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I guess my take on this all is that the "reasoning" for magazine restrictions is to make life safer for everyone under the guise that no one will need them for defense since nobody can "out gun" you. If no one at all has them then that perhaps becomes plausible, but if getting the jump on a police officer is all that is needed to have access to a handgun with a 20rd magazine or assault rifle then that goes out the window. Not to mention that both military and police officers have "snapped" in the past and gone on shooting rampages so clearly there isn't some magic that happens at bootcamp or academy that "cures" crazy. If Feinstein's plan is passed as it will be written then it is pretty hypocritical that anyone should own them to include LEO's or Law Enforcement organizations. Another words, if it is safe enough that I shouldn't have one then it is safe enough that the police can go back to their Chiefs special.

now more than ever we need to make our voices heard. I would never give up a gun. NO WAY.

Looks like it's time to kick our own azz again. civil war II.