Thread: Caribou at Finger Mountain

Default Caribou at Finger Mountain

Does anyone know if there are caribou around Finger/Caribou Mountain? I have been through the area driving north and have seen tons of sign but never any animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock7 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are caribou around Finger/Caribou Mountain? I have been through the area driving north and have seen tons of sign but never any animals.
    I would imagine that you pretty much answered your own question don't ya think? If you've seen caribou tracks then..........well............never mind......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Probably should of worded the question better.. What I was wondering is, does anyone know if there is a local heard or do they migrate through the area? Been through there in the fall but never in the winter. I have some time off and was thinking of heading up there sometime soon.

Where is Finger/Caribou mountain at?

I've seen one caribou just north of Finger Mountain. Big old beat up bull and I stalked him for about a mile. Finally got a 30 yard shot on him and he's still my biggest bull to date. Got him in October if I remember correctly. Just keep in mind, that is a one bull area south of the Kanuti River, not a 5 or more limit like north on the road. Further north of the river, I've seen a couple of small herds in late winter, but nothing regular. I drive the road about 7-8 times a year.

I have seen them a couple of times there but never with any regularity, most times I have seen them there has
    been snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock7 View Post
    Probably should of worded the question better..
    sorry.......I was just being a smarta*s

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I've seen one caribou just north of Finger Mountain. Big old beat up bull and I stalked him for about a mile. Finally got a 30 yard shot on him and he's still my biggest bull to date. Got him in October if I remember correctly. Just keep in mind, that is a one bull area south of the Kanuti River, not a 5 or more limit like north on the road. Further north of the river, I've seen a couple of small herds in late winter, but nothing regular. I drive the road about 7-8 times a year.
    You got a pic Jerod? Would love to see it!

I've never seen a living thing near Finger Mountain in the 5 trips I've made up there. Saw some wolf tracks when we went through this year in late October. I did talk to a guy that said he killed a big bull there one time. He said it was snowy and the bull died on a frozen pond, made for a difficult retrieve.

We had a group of 5 or 6 bulls cross the road right in front of us in August about 60 miles south of Coldfoot one year. I'm not sure if they were part of the Finger Mountain group, but they sure did surprise us being that far south. A few of them were the largest caribou I have ever seen, but unfortunately my bow was packed away and they disappeared into the forest before I could get it out.

Here's a couple of pictures. It wasn't snowy, but the ponds were frozen over. This guy died in the middle of this small lake, and I was positive as he was stomping around with his final steps he was going to break through the ice. When I walked out to pull him in, the ice was cracking and seemed like it was about to go all around me. I backed out and worked in from a different angle a couple of times. When I got to him, I grabbed an antler and tried to pull, but his hide was frozen to the ice due to the blood. Finally jarred him loose and drug him to the shore.

He was pretty tore up, had a large hole in his hind quarter and loads of green meat in the area. Most of the "silver" skin was green from his ribs back. He had 7 broken tines, and his second shovel was busted off at the forehead. My title on the picture shows that I got him on October 14th. My next drive north I got another bou at Atigun that both antlers fell off when he tumbled down the mountain. That was on November 4th. I spent some time around the area I shot my bull when I headed back up north to look for wolves or bears. I didn't see so much as a track all through the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    He was pretty tore up, had a large hole in his hind quarter and loads of green meat in the area. Most of the "silver" skin was green from his ribs back. He had 7 broken tines, and his second shovel was busted off at the forehead. My title on the picture shows that I got him on October 14th. My next drive north I got another bou at Atigun that both antlers fell off when he tumbled down the mountain. That was on November 4th. I spent some time around the area I shot my bull when I headed back up north to look for wolves or bears. I didn't see so much as a track all through the area.
    How do you think he got tore up so bad.....just from the rut or something else....???

Just curious......

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing those Jerod.

My best guess is the hole in his hind quarter was from another bulls antler. I think he was a scrapper and finally met his match, or took a cheap shot at some point. His hip bones were visible through his hide, and he had zero fat on him. The meat was about the worst I've had for caribou, and we disposed of everything that looked tainted. The bull I shot on November 4th was great though.

I saw a picture on Facebook of a huuuge bull from the Kanuti flats. I had been wondering which herd he came from. Thanks for bringing this up, Rock.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I killed a real nice bull by Finger Mount and at the same time harvested another bull that a guy shot with a rifle and left it laying. There was 4 nice bulls in a group. If I'm not mistaken there is a small section by the road that is a ten caribou limit but I would have to look at the reg again. All the caribou I have seen around there have been very big body animals unlike further north.

Boy if an animal goes down in the water, hope its the frozen variety. Clean and flat, must have been a treat to dress out.

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    Boy if an animal goes down in the water, hope its the frozen variety. Clean and flat, must have been a treat to dress out.
    It's nice, except for all the slipping and sliding.

I've hunted finger before to no avail however. There are bou that hang around but very hard to get close to with a bow. They are skiddish. If they got wind of you they were gone and even harder if they heard you on the crunchy frozen ground or saw you they took off and run for miles.