Thread: Elan for trapping.

Default Elan for trapping.

What do you fellas think of the Skidoo élan for a trapping rig? I don't need speed, I just want to putt around, maybe pull some logs out of the woods and run my trap line. all around the big lake/pt mac area, no crazy mountain climbing or anything the on I am looking at is a twin 250. 1974 I think. So, give me the good bad and the ugly. Oh btw, if it matters I am about 180 lbs if that matters cause its a smaller sled.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Is it free? Most elans I've seen for sale are overpriced and you can get into a newer sled for the same money. The 250 twin was kind of the "racer" elan of it's time. The 250 single was a good trapper sled.

Buy newer you will thank yourself later not saying brand new early 90's or better better parts availabilty.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Any good running snowmachine is good enough for trapping
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

The biggest issue with a sled that old is parts availability, or rather lack of parts availability. When something breaks, and something will break, you can't afford to spend a month searching ebay, c-list, dootalk etc to find that part.

A tundra is the oldest sled I'd consider as parts are still fairly common, even short block rebuilt engines can be had.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default Re: Elan for trapping.

Run the Elan for a while and you'll want something bigger. The bogie wheels and leaf spring skis will wear you out faster than you think. I suggest a tundra also.

sent from my igloo

ok thanks for the input! now, which do you prefer, tundra LT or a bravo?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I prefer the tundra lt i have a new tundra and it will go just about anywhere.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

We have a couple of the mid 90's tundra LT's and love 'em for a lil utility sled. Go most anywhere, haul a decent load, 10 mpg on avg, simple and easy to work on if need be.
    Don't know much about the Elan though.
    BK

My first was an twin elan. Compared to a mid 90ish sled they are just junk. They beat the hell out of you and you better bring snow shoes if you ar breaking trail. I would go with no less than a 440.
    Tim

watch out for the weights on the clutch. Elan's had a problem with them going out of round and not dis-engageing. Meaning the sled would not stop moving forward at idle. Plus the center set of boggies, we used to break the spring on the center set all the time. if you cant find a replacement spring your done.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

The Elan great sled to putt around on But like others have said price, shape of it and very hard to find parts for. I would Not pull some logs with it!
    Even if it were new it was not designed for that. I would save your money,Get something bit newer with a long track, Unless it is about free and then you going to have to work on it all the time because of its age, Bearcat, Polaris Wide trak, Skandic, Tundras would all fit the bill.

Elan would work well for you if you know how to work on machines and you didn't bother doing normal maintenance. Like it has been said, they are small machines and very maneuverable. Tippy in deep snow but go like a goat.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

makes me wish i woulda bought that bear cat this summer back when I was making lots of money instead of rolling my truck and buying a full size.....(BTW I didn't roll it purposefully, I snapped my axle goin round a corner)

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    ...... I snapped my axle goin round a corner)
    That's bound to happen when you're up on two wheels

Default Elan for trapping.

I'm an alpine fan. Busted a lot of trails with them.

Other than nostalgia, theres really no reason to look for an Elan as a trapping/work sled. A Tundra or Bravo is going to be a far better machine.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Other than nostalgia, theres really no reason to look for an Elan as a trapping/work sled. A Tundra or Bravo is going to be a far better machine.
    Well, yes/no. May be the only sled you can stuff in a 206 0r 207, except for the short track Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Well, yes/no. May be the only sled you can stuff in a 206 0r 207, except for the short track Bravo.
    True enough. Interestingly, one of the more popular machines I have seen on fly-in only traplines are old Enticer 340 short tracks. That was even during the Elan era.
    One other thing the Elan is good at is if you want an ATV but don't want to have a 4 wheeler. That bogie suspension can be run over pretty much anything.
    A few years ago I was out in the mountains, and while coming down an old mining road I saw the strangest contraption. It was an old Alpine that someone had welded a front wheel to. A poor mans 4 wheeler.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.