Thread: mulchatna, kotz, happy valley??

Default mulchatna, kotz, happy valley??

whats my best bet to book a good caribou drop hunt for two this late in the year for 2k or under each? my hunting partner will be in anchorage Sept 8 and departs the 16th. I had planned to hunt mulchatna until I read so many posts on the declining herd I wasn't aware it was that bad. now I've kinda backed myself into a corner time wise to find another hunt. 40 mile air sounded good but they were booked. I would love to see the kotz country "never been there" but getting there and back in an eight day time for 2k, booking this late seems to be a squeeze. every thing would have to fall inline perfect and that seems to very seldom happen there. happy valley sounds good, I could pick my partner up in my truck and camper "I'll be comming from kenai" and be at happy valley by sunday the 9th. could fly out with daltana or a boat runner. but i can't get a ball park price anywhere, called daltana, out of the country. website only shows guided hunt prices. other concern is weather will it be to cold or to much snow to be a pleasant hunt. I worked in prudhoe 20 + years ago but I really don't remember the mid sept weather, but I do remember the eye popping racks on some of those bulls. I've been reading this board for almost 2 yrs and this is my 2nd post my first was about 30 minutes ago I have found some good information and enjoy the reading but if anyone could help me nail down a few more facts or give me some new insite I would be very greatful. I hopfully have many more years to enjoy this land my partner on the other hand is likely to be on a once in a lifetime trip I would sure like to show him Alaska at its best

Default hmm don't know about deltana

Not to rain on your parade but Deltana might be moved out by then. I know they like to get of the slope & to the moose camps by mid Sept. However, if they are still up there I would go that way. Beautiful drive in Sept & plenty of animals around.

Default Why fly out if your driving up there?

Why are you wanting to fly out if your already going to be in happy vally? Both times I've been we seen most of the bou between Ice cut and a little past HV. If your rifle hunting I understand, I've made that hike and its not easy. Last year we took a buddy of ours who had never shot a bow; he bought a used Browning, got his IBEP certification, and shot a real nice bull all in two months. Save the 2K for your mount and to put twards your next trip, after you have done it you will want to go back.

Good luck...

IBEP cert?
    Bruce

Default Ibep

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    IBEP cert?
    Bruce
    The IBEP certification is a bow hunting class offered throughout the year. It is classroom style teaching and a bow shoot to qualify. If you hunt in bow only areas you need to have an IBEP card.

Default thanks for the info

thanks Sean for the reply. bowhunting the corridor would be plenty good enough for me I have my card. I would be happier to take even a small bull with my bow than a big one with a gun. My buddy is also a bow hunter and said he would come up to bow hunt if that is what I suggest but shooting a big bull or at least having good odds at taking any bull is more important to him than gun vs bow. I was just hoping to find a short fly in or jet boat ride that was not too expensive to get us into a gun area so he can up his odds. I don't care to much about walking 5 miles of tundra to shoot one with a gun. I would consider it to help him get one if he hasn't filled his tag by the last of the hunt. also I plan to make the hall road hunt by myself in july or august with no timeline so I hope to learn alot then

Default Odds are not always better the farther you go in.

I agree going in on a boat would be nice for getting away from the crowds but I have heard plenty of stories about people that have done just what you are talking about and coming up empty. I'm not trying to rain on your plan I just know how bad it sucks to go all the way up there and not even have the chance at a bull. When I went in the 5mi a couple years ago all I seen was a dead calf and the wolf that killed it. And of course it was befor 10 aug so I couldnt shot him either. But when I went up and bow hunted we had more than enough bou to pick and chose what bull we wanted. But its all about timing up there, one day there are animals all over and the next day you could drive 50 mi and not see one bou.

Default Sean

Sean have you ever been there the middle of september? will the hunting pressure be reduced due to moose season being open? will the start of the rut cause the bulls to single out and possibly be easier to stalk or ambush? again thanks for the info. I know its not easy to give encouraging information thats possibly going to draw even more people to your hunting spots..also I'm no stranger to defeat it took 5 straight yrs to take my 1st bull elk with a bow

Default north

"Sean have you ever been there the middle of september? will the hunting pressure be reduced due to moose season being open? "--NOPE, preasure is steady from eary Aug till mid Oct, plenty of people running up and down the road hoping to find them close.

will the start of the rut cause the bulls to single out and possibly be easier to stalk or ambush?---Once again NOPE, once the rut starts to get close they are hanging with the cows, too many eyes making it tough

If you take a small rubber raft and cross the Sag you can find bow without a crap load of hunters. The big thing is to get away from the road.

Good Luck

Default the sag

Thanks AK. that was a question I meant to ask but forgot. I will for sure bring some kind of raft. I've hunted the mulchatna twice on drop gun hunts several years ago and loved every minute of it. the plane ride through lake clark pass is nothing short of awsome, but taking a caribou with a bow totally on my own, above the arctic circle, does sound very appealing

Crossing the sag is a big step. Akhunter is right, the closser you get to full on rut the harder it will be to get close to the bulls. Before then they will be holding up together. We never saw a BIG bull with cows in aug. Not that it doesnt happen I just noticed that the bulls that were traveling with cows and calvs were not of the trophy size. As far as the sag goes most hunters dont even think about crossing it let alone have a way of doing it. You will up your chances by alot, find an area that your seeing bou in great #'s and find a place you can cross but still be able to glass from. I have not hunted in september, the latest I was up there is the third week in aug. Let me know if you have any other ??, I will be out in PWS next week trying to find me a brownie that needs a little lead in his diet.