Thread: Blizzard Catches!

Default Blizzard Catches!

Well, was not counting on anything today after we got hit with rain, 51 degrees yesterday AM and when the wife and I started home at 4:30 it was 17 degrees, 50 - 60mph winds and snow! So, today I got off early and cruzzed my short line and whatya know! A female coyote in a #2 coil OS, note a #3 coil OS also tangled up as I set 2 traps togeher at all hay sets - many times I will use 3 or 4. Catch rate really goes up by adding more steel if ya have it.

Picked up a beautiful blondish boar coon in a trench set a grey fox had been giving me fits trying to catch - second prize ain't half bad!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

A couple more pics.... The #3 shows up better on this yote pic.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Looong day, started remaking sets at 8AM, buried rig about 2 in a hard drift, dug'r out at 3:15, made a new set and called it a day! Every trap was an ice ball, had to take some to shed and soak in a water bucket to clean up Uggghhh. Ended day with 15 sets, 2 were new and used 23 traps. Got 2 more traps to set tomorrow and 3 - 330's if water is not too icy. Was 13 at daybreak and hit 32 about the time I was under the rig digging out!

Gotcha! Mrs Grey Fox just could not resist the 2 unbroken eggs I added to the remade set the Blonde coon was in Pics 1 & 2!

Another pic...

Partner with out catch!

Here is a remake of the Hay set that the coyote was caught in the previuos pics. Many only use the straw to set traps in, I like to put down an ample amount of Peat Moss to bed the traps in before covering with straw/grass mix...

That looks really good! Those are one of my favorite sets if I'm around fields of any kind. I don't use the peat moss all the time. In the winter I usually just chip out a bed and line it with crumpled wax paper. I will use some pre dried soil to sift over the top of my traps after I wax paper it. To keep my hay around it I like to put sets on a drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Here is a remake of the Hay set that the coyote was caught in the previuos pics. Many only use the straw to set traps in, I like to put down an ample amount of Peat Moss to bed the traps in before covering with straw/grass mix...

Hey Teacherman, I wish I could use some drags but I don't have the time or daylight to hunt themdown after a catch and snow is pretty rare here at times...
    Here is a new Hay set I made Sat where 2 fences meet in the center of a section..... And today we took a beautyful female coyote and she had both front feet buried into a pair of number 2's! We sure have a low red fox population, hardly and tracks and only two I have had on sets were when they were froze over...