Thread: Odd shotting methods

Default Odd shotting methods

My daughter has joined the school shooting program. The coach has thrown a couple of curves at me and Id like some input from some of you in the know.
    1) My daughter has shot recurves for quite a while, Right handed. He all the sudden says she has left eye dominance and wants her to shoot left. She is right handed and has fits knocking an arrow. Is this common?
    2) He teaches instinctive shooting with matthews genisis bows. He is also teaching them to shoot with all three fingers below the knocked arrow. This seems odd to me. Im trying to keep an open mind, but this seemes crazy.
    Now I dont know what to do, at home my daughter shoots a RH twin cam compound with sights and a release. Then goes to school and is made to shoot left, with fingers below the arrow. I dont want to mess her up. As for the Eye dominance, Ive tried all the tests on myself and I cant decide it seems to me like there the same. It just depends on your hand position. Although I could be altering the results by knowing whats going on with the test and knowing how to make my right eye win. Is there a lesser known test that I might try to get more accurate results???

Default Test

Cup your hands together, thumbs horizontal and form a small hole. Find an object in the distance and with both eyes open, place the object in the hole formed in your hands. Close your right eye, if the object stays centered she is left eyed. If it moves she is right eyed.

I am the same way, RH and L-eyed. I have to shoot lefty.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

OK Im nutz I guess. Im sitting in the chair looking out the window at the trees. I pick a tree, do the triangle thing, I cant do the same eye twice in a row. tried the finger point method with both eyes open, same thing If my right hand goes out first, my right eye picks it up and visaversa. Is it possible to be ambidextorus? or to say Both eyed??? I always shoot with both eyes open anyway. I guess it dont make a difference anyway with me. The daughter says she's left so I guess Im buying a lefty bow now.

I don't know about the finger positions. I was always taught to shoot my recurve with one finger on top, and two under. I had some of the best archers in fairbanks as teachers, so I figure I was taught pretty well. His way could be just a different method, but it seems awkward to me.

-Eric

Me 2. It is hard to teach somebody somthing that knows everything so I try to keep an open mind. Thats just weird though.

Her instructor is right on both counts.

If your daughter is right hand/left eye dominant, switch her to left handed for shooting bow and guns now. It's much easier when they're young. It will take her a little while to get used to it, but she'll be a much better shot for the rest of her life...

My son is RH/left eye dominant. We caught it when he was 5 or so, and switched him. Took about a month or so for him to get comfortable with his bow & BB gun, and he never looked back. He's 26 now, in the Army (has done a tour in Afghanistan), and an expert left handed shot with firearms or bow...

I shoot Traditional Archery, and use the Three Finger Under draw with all my recurves. The Three Under is very common in Traditional. The main advantage of the Three Under is it positions the arrow close to/directly under the master eye. I personally feel it's a "stronger" draw with much less finger pinch, as well.

the Three Under is commonly taught to students new to Trad. It's easier & more comfortable to draw the bow, there's less string torque, so the student has less worry of pulling the arrow off the rest/shelf. Without these worries, the student can concentrate on the fun part, the shot itself. Because Three Under positions the arrow close to the eye, it's much easier to hit well/quickly using the Gap Method, which is almost universally taught to new students...

Here's a picture of the Three Under Draw in action. Note the relaxed drawing hand position and the arrow close to the eye. Dead deer...
    BTW, that's a Kota Prairie Swift, 55#@29", Bocote with Bamboo limbs, that I had Tim Finley of Kota Bowhunting Company build for me. It's one of the fastest custom recurves curently being built...

Default Opposite but similar

I'm left handed but right eye dominant, and I went through something similar to what your daughter is experiencing when I was a kid. Now I primarily shoot right handed, but I can shoot adequately left handed as well. I'd suggest letting her shoot both ways for a few months. She'll figure out what's more comfortable and which way she's more accurate.

As for the three under draw, that's not terribly uncommon. If you order a custom bow, you can usually request that it be tillered for either split draw or three under. I've never found it comfortable to shoot three under with a stock bow, but my dad had one that was tillered for three under and it just felt right when shooting that bow.

Bottom line, I'd say let her experiment to find out what's comfortable and accurate for her, then stick with that to fine tune.

Default Opposite but similar

duplicate post
    Last edited by ironsights; 05-05-2007 at 10:03. Reason: duplicate post

As for the three under draw, that's not terribly uncommon. If you order a custom bow, you can usually request that it be tillered for either split draw or three under...

Very true. If you ask bowyers, some will say it's a good thing to do, others will say it doesn't matter. But when tillered for Three Under the limbs load differently, and it's much more quiet when shot that way. Just the same, a Split Finger tiller can be shot well Three Under. I have a Chek Mate that I had built tillered for Three Under, the rest of my bows are tillered for Split Finger.

I've been working on shooting left handed as well because I am LE/RH. I haven't found it too difficult to shoot a bow left handed (no sights) and am glad I have switched. It's my understanding that if you're using a sight, it's not as important to shoot the same hand as your dominant eye, but I could be mistaken.

I find it much more difficult to pick up my shotgun to my left shoulder but once I get it mounted correctly I find that I am much more consistent/accurate and it has been worth the trouble trying to switch.

As for you and both eyes being equal... Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. No sense in worrying about the way "you're supposed to do it" if what you're doing works well enough for you.

I've heard you can retrain your eyes too. The best way I have heard to do this is to shoot with a pair of shooting glasses on and put chapstick on the lense of the dominant eye. I have not tried this.

get her to switch hands! I wish I could shoot a shotgun lefthanded it would improve my trap termendously (one eye open only takes much longer to pick up the target) I imagine its much the same in archery
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The best way I've found to determine eye dominance is take a sheet of paper, cut a half inch circle out of the center, hold it at arms length, view an object in the cut out circle. WITH BOTH EYES OPEN and while keeping the object in view, slowly bring the sheet of paper to your face. The opening in the paper will come to the dominate eye.

The 5 years before I got a release (I got my release when I was 20) I shot 3 under on my compound, for the same reasons that were mentioned earlier. Better placement to the eye, I used to be able to shoot the pigeons out of the barn.
    I had to get a release because a new set of arrows did not have decent “knock lock” on the string and the arrows were falling off the string and I hated split draw… pinched the heck out of my fingers.

edit: And as for your eye dominance problems (finding out which is more dominant) you may have equal dominance in your eyes.
    Last edited by akula682; 05-17-2007 at 22:43. Reason: addition

Default same

I figured out the three finger thing when i was a kid and kept pinching the arrow so it fall off the shelf. i stuck with it and 17 years later i still do the same thing shooting traditional. it just works. the two below and one above thing was probably developed for when you had to actually hold the arrow on the string. As far as the eye dominance thing goes..... if you notice problems (maybe not huge problems, just that they have trouble shooting for an extended period of time or they always miss the last shots), that could be an indication of eye dominance problems as the non dominate eye fatigues faster than the other. if that is the case try switching for a while to see if it is comfortable. it is possible to train someone to shoot left handed but i would guess it is a bit harder to train one eye to be dominant.
    just my .02

Using three under has been used in target shooting for years, we called it string walking, I actually use 1 finger below the arrow for spacing, then place my 3 fingers on the string to draw..brings it up to eye level, blure out the string on the tip of the arrow and let'r rip!