Thread: Radio ad for pushing for UCI management change

Default Radio ad for pushing for UCI management change

I heard an interesting ad on the radio on my way into work early this morning (on KWHL, I believe). It had clips of Larry Engel, whose term overlapped on the BOF a bit with mine and I have the utmost respect for, talking about how "the Kenai drives everything" in UCI. The ad advocates for "Bristol Bay-style" management in UCI where harvest districts closer to each river system/closer to shore are the way it's done. I thought it said it was paid for by the Mat-Su Borough. Anyone have more info on this, willphish, bigfisherman?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Default Radio ad for pushing for UCI management change

Huh. I guess not everyone is against a setnet fishery that primarily catches local fish. I feel for the drifters though. I am no biologist, but my money says that while drifters do harvest northern district fish, and fished more than ever this year due to ADFG's new KRSA-inspired management strategy, the drifters' historical exploitation rate of these fish is not high enough for them to be the cause of these stocks' troubles. Ocean survival, overescapement, habitat issues - big contributors.

I also feel for the northern district sport fishermen, guides, and tourism industries. Like me, they had pretty much no season this year.

Fishing Cook Inlet stocks separately is difficult. A large portion of the runs to all Cook Inlet rivers shoot right up the middle of the inlet in two different rips. They peel off near their respective rivers and shoot in. This makes keeping drifters off northern bound stocks difficult - much like keeping setnets off Kings. Interestingly, many biologists and fishermen think that a large portion of kings follow this same pattern up the middle of the inlet outside of setnets - only they run deeper where drift nets can't catch them. Thats why historically setnets catch less than 20% of the total king run to the Kenai.

It seems that a balanced approach is the most sensible. Stick to what has worked for many years. A more traditional harvest ratio for the set and drift gillnetters would take pressure off Northern District fish and in no way endanger the sustainability of Kenai Kings. Spend the lobbying money to fix habitat issues, and productivity will increase. Everyone will be happy. And despite what the Mayans say, the world keeps turning.

Just my two very opinionated cents. Would like to know more about this though.