Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Tent for Kodiak

Default What Tent for Kodiak

My buddy drew a spring bear tag on Kodiak and we are trying to decide on what kind of tent to use. We are going back and forth between a canvas wall tent that you can stand up in, maybe be a little more comfortable, easier to dry out gear, but heavier and not sure how it will hold up to the wind over there. The other choice is cabelas guide tents which are lighter, more compact but not as comfortable and you can't stand up in it but will probably stand up to the wind better. We will probably use a buddy heater for warmth instead of wood stoves. Any suggestions or tips would be great. thanks

You might do a search for this. The usual responses are the Arctic Oven and the Bomb Shelter (Barney's).

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    You might do a search for this. The usual responses are the Arctic Oven and the Bomb Shelter (Barney's).
    I agree. I also have used a 10x10 cabelas tent XWT that worked flawlessly that I would be willing to sell... PM if I the rested
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I'm with Oak, Bomb Shelter or Arctic Oven 10X10
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I agree. I also have used a 10x10 cabelas tent XWT that worked flawlessly that I would be willing to sell... PM if I the rested
    I should add that the Cabelas tent is plenty tall enough to stand up in and the vestibule is unbelievably huge!
    Ha I see I had a spelling error also. PM if interested.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Just got done with a trip over there and used a Bomb Shelter and Kodiak Condo. Both worked as expected and are good tents but I think my next purchase will be an Arctic oven.

Arctic Oven with a Nu-Way propane stove,,, like sleeping at home. I could live in this setup for weeks at a time. The vented propane stove is light and because it is vented it stays nice and dry in the tent.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

2 words -- Arctic Oven. My wife and I have survived killer storms on Kodiak in ours, when our "gear tents" were shredded. A bit pricey, but when that first storm hits, you will be glad you spent the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    2 words -- Arctic Oven. My wife and I have survived killer storms on Kodiak in ours, when our "gear tents" were shredded. A bit pricey, but when that first storm hits, you will be glad you spent the money.
    I'm always interested in what kind of tents are shredding. If you can recall makes and models that would be helpful. Thanks

How does the nu-way propane stove work and where did you get one. Is it shaped like a small wood stove? Can you stand up inside of your arctic oven? I have heard nothing but good about them but haven't checked one out that close. We use wall tents for our moose hunts and they are pretty hard to beat for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Arctic Oven with a Nu-Way propane stove,,, like sleeping at home. I could live in this setup for weeks at a time. The vented propane stove is light and because it is vented it stays nice and dry in the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    How does the nu-way propane stove work and where did you get one. Is it shaped like a small wood stove? Can you stand up inside of your arctic oven? I have heard nothing but good about them but haven't checked one out that close. We use wall tents for our moose hunts and they are pretty hard to beat for that.

The Nu-Way is a light weight propane burner enclosed in a thin steel housing that directs the moisture up and out the stack. They sell them at Alaska Tent and Tarp and can also be bought on Ebay or from Nu-Way directly. Yes I can stand in my Artic Oven, the newer ones with the integrated vestibule are real nice. The stove can be lit quickly and heats up the tent fast. I leave mine on low and let it run all night. A 20lb propane can will last a week to 10 days this way.

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    My buddy drew a spring bear tag on Kodiak and we are trying to decide on what kind of tent to use. We are going back and forth between a canvas wall tent that you can stand up in, maybe be a little more comfortable, easier to dry out gear, but heavier and not sure how it will hold up to the wind over there. The other choice is cabelas guide tents which are lighter, more compact but not as comfortable and you can't stand up in it but will probably stand up to the wind better. We will probably use a buddy heater for warmth instead of wood stoves. Any suggestions or tips would be great. thanks
    Just so you know, as was mentioned, you CAN stand up in the the 6 man Cabella's guide tent and vestibule. If I recall it's 6'5" or so at the peak. I used to guide out of that tent. And with the improvements they've made over the years I think they are a great tent. I had more than one hunter tell me they thought I saved their lives in that tent......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I'm always interested in what kind of tents are shredding. If you can recall makes and models that would be helpful. Thanks
    It was a 3-seasons Ridgeway (I can't remember the exact model number, as we tossed it after the trip). Our replacement gear tent is a Eureka Storm Shield 3-man that has served pretty well for a gear/cooking tent. Only 4' tall which gives a low profile in the wind, but you have to crawl around inside.

I had a 6 man guide tent from Cabelas and it sort of held up. I got it with aluminum poles and they are all mangled now. It was an older model tent and they have made many upgrades. The way the tent connected to the poles was flawed with the older tents but I know that has been corrected. I now have a bomb shelter and I love it.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

I also agree with the Arctic Oven. We used one in 2011 and it withstood two of the worst storms I have been in here in Alaska! And the propane stove was amazing!

the best of the best out there seem to be bomb shelter/hurricane hut...arctic oven...my opinion of course

Man, those are some nice setups. Who sells the Arctic Oven in the valley/Anchorage area?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Man, those are some nice setups. Who sells the Arctic Oven in the valley/Anchorage area?
    100 East International Airport Road Anchorage, AK 99503
    (907) 562-2293

Alaska Tent and Tarps makes the AO, they build each tent to order.

http://www.alaskatent.com/
    Founding Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a AO for comfort in cold weather and the high winds that Kodiak often has. We used an Arktika with the heavy duty poles this last fall on Kodiak and experienced some fairly decent winds, and that thing was completely unaffected. Another option you might want to consider is a tipi. We also had a 8 man tipi with a wood stove. Not only did it do very well in the winds (although not as well as the AO) it was very nice to have wood heat.

P1010192.jpg

Never seen an AO with the vestibule.......pretty neat.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast